Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How big a deal is Psy's anti-American past?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
plato's republic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: How big a deal is Psy's anti-American past? Reply with quote

Courtesy of Foreign Policy magazine:

How big a deal is Psy's anti-American past?
Posted By Alicia P.Q. Wittmeyer Friday, December 7, 2012 - 3:50 PM

He's performed with Madonna, has been on the Today show, and is scheduled to perform at a "Christmas in Washington" concert this weekend that President Obama plans to attend with his family.

But now South Korean rapper Psy -- chubby, goofy Psy, who horse-danced his way into so many American hearts this past year -- is now being dogged by some surprisingly vitriolic anti-U.S. comments from his past.

In 2004, Psy, whose real name is Park Jae-sang, took part in a live performance of Korean band N.E.X.T.'s song "Dear American" in which he rapped:

Kill those f****** Yankees who have been torturing Iraqi captives

Kill those f****** Yankees who ordered them to torture

Kill their daughters, mothers, daughter-in-law and fathers

Kill them all slowly and painfully

Yikes!

The rap came two years after PSY had participated in a protest concert against the presence of 37,000 troops in South Korea. During the concert, Psy lifted a miniature American tank above his head and smashed it on stage, to cheers from the audience.

As many have noted, it's important to remember the context here: the protest concert came shortly after two middle school girls in Korea were killed after they were struck by an armored vehicle operated by U.S. soldiers (the soldiers were later acquitted of charges related to their deaths). And the 2004 rap came in the wake of the beheading death of a Korean missionary in Iraq, after South Korea rejected the kidnappers' demands that it withdraw its troops.

Korea is an American ally, but has long been ambivalent about the presence of U.S. troops on its soil; many have also questioned the presence of South Korean troops in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Psy -- whose Gangnam Style video passed Justin Bieber's "Baby" last month to become the most-viewed video ever on Youtube -- has yet to comment.

Update -- Psy has responded in a statement: "As a proud South Korean who was educated in the United States and lived there for a very significant part of my life, I understand the sacrifices American servicemen and women have made to protect freedom and democracy in my country and around the world. The song I was featured in - eight years ago - was part of a deeply emotional reaction to the war in Iraq and the killing of two Korean schoolgirls that was part of the overall antiwar sentiment shared by others around the world at that time. While I'm grateful for the freedom to express one's self, I've learned there are limits to what language is appropriate and I'm deeply sorry for how these lyrics could be interpreted. I will forever be sorry for any pain I have caused by those words."

"I have been honored to perform in front of American soldiers in recent months - including an appearance on the Jay Leno show specifically for them- and I hope they and all Americans can accept my apology. While it's important that we express our opinions, I deeply regret the inflammatory and inappropriate language I used to do so. In my music, I try to give people a release, a reason to smile. I have learned that thru music, our universal language we can all come together as a culture of humanity and I hope that you will accept my apology."
fosterman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think someone needs to show Bill O'reilly his rap lyrics!
Yaya

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a non-apology! So typical of people who apologize while NOT really saying sorry.

Psy also studied in Boston.
Stan Rogers

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's a big deal.

IMO the happiness he created with his new song cancels out any negativity of the past.
hogwonguy1979

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry but its a big deal for me

1) I was here for the sh*tstorm in 2002 etc. It was not fun especially given how we saved this country from the north and the American lives that were lost so Koreans have something remote to Gangnam Style to make fun of and this is the thanks we get

2) If the shoe was on the other foot I will bet the ranch the Koreans would be up in arms running the person out of the country or even not letting him in the country. Remember after the Ohno incident in 2002 (before the tank incident) Jay Leno made a lame joke about the Korean not only kicking the dog but eating it too; there was an uproar demanding Leno apologize, a defamation lawsuit filed against NBC etc. Heck the locals were practically burning him in effigy next to W. Why the double standard Korea?

I hope TNT pulls him from the show its the least that can be done to this no talent hyopcrite
plato's republic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly won't dispute the fact that the guy has no talent. That's a scandal in and of itself. The most Youtube hits ever. Seriously?
Old fat expat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hogwonguy:

of course all that fighting was for the right to have free speech.

don't forget the 'creed' of hip-hop is to be offensive (to the man!).

someone told me it is a point of pride for Koreans to be 'blistering' in their insults.

all in all, no biggie (and I served in US forces and was also here in 2002).

its all chill Razz
Dodge7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I for one now cringe when I see him on TV or hear his song. So yea, it's a pretty big deal (to Americans).
saram_

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing will become of this..

It will be forgotten in less than a week and there will certainly not be any cancellations of his performance in Washington!

Too many good people know banning him or taking some kind of revenge ( or whatever the term is) is no good for anybody..

Water under the bridge-
Some people and societies move on- especially in the music business!
Dodge7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saram_ wrote:
Nothing will become of this..

It will be forgotten in less than a week and there will certainly not be any cancellations of his performance in Washington!

Too many good people know banning him or taking some kind of revenge ( or whatever the term is) is no good for anybody..

Water under the bridge-
Some people and societies move on- especially in the music business!

White Americans are spineless and can't protest worth bleeeeeep. But this isn't "water under the bridge." I believe it's all over for ole Psy in the US. Take his one hit wonder a$$ to Canada. He might even get a few cheers for the things he said over there.
nautilus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodge7 wrote:
I believe it's all over for ole Psy in the US.

You may be right.

I can't believe that an American president will welcome someone who sang the following lyrics...

Quote:
Kill those fucking Yankees who have been torturing Iraqi captives
Kill those fucking Yankees who ordered them to torture
Kill their daughters, mothers, daughters-in-law, and fathers
http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-853509

Not to mention the fact that he squirmed out of korean national service.
I'm With You

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaya wrote:
What a non-apology! So typical of people who apologize while NOT really saying sorry.

Psy also studied in Boston.

I know you don't believe he wrote that. Of course he has his management / agents, etc., like all stars whether they're actors, musicians, politicians or athletes, write his "apologies".

But is a lot of the protesting that we see in Korea a genuine hatred for America and Americans?

It doesn't stand to reason - then why do so many Koreans emigrate to the USA and want to live and study there; send their children to make lives there, or at least get an education. On the other hand, they seem to really love America and American culture.
nautilus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm With You wrote:

It doesn't stand to reason - then why do so many Koreans emigrate to the USA and want to live and study there; send their children to make lives there, or at least get an education. On the other hand, they seem to really love America and American culture.

It hurts korean pride that they depend on the US for their security.

Koreans view the US as more advanced and powerful, therefore western culture is to be sought after.

I never noticed that there was any "love" involved however.

Koreas agenda is to advance economically while retaining genetic purity: that is all.
Privateer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nautilus wrote:
Dodge7 wrote:
I believe it's all over for ole Psy in the US.

You may be right.

I can't believe that an American president will welcome someone who sang the following lyrics...

Quote:
Kill those fucking Yankees who have been torturing Iraqi captives
Kill those fucking Yankees who ordered them to torture
Kill their daughters, mothers, daughters-in-law, and fathers
http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-853509

Not to mention the fact that he squirmed out of korean national service.

Perhaps conservatives will seize the chance to make capital out of Obama playing host to such a rabid anti-American. Or it might be too late for them to do that, given that it's already been a hit.

I'm not American and I'm quite disgusted by his song. But it's so bad it's embarrassing more than anything else. Just makes me want to look away and not bring up Psy in conversation ever again.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: How big a deal is Psy's anti-American past? Reply with quote

plato's republic wrote:

Kill those f****** Yankees who have been torturing Iraqi captives

Kill those f****** Yankees who ordered them to torture

Kill their daughters, mothers, daughter-in-law and fathers

Why did they even allow him into the country and why are they allowing him to stay or come back? This guy sounds like an Al Queda operative and I don't think poetic license applies to this rap song.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: