Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PSY's rabid anti-American past
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Taylormade



Joined: 31 Oct 2012
Location: Incheon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to know what kind of coverage this controversy is currently getting in the Korean media. Are they simply reporting the facts of the story? Are they condemning his comments, or trying to justify them? Has any Korean media - anywhere - outright condemned his behaviour. Because in any Western country the media would be all over him if he had said those things about Koreans.

Anything?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CentralCali



Joined: 17 May 2007

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
His comments are typically worded press releases. He obviously didn't write it.

It could have been an apology issued by Imus, Michael Richards, or any other celebrity who has been busted.

That's why it's a crap apology.


That's right.

Quote:
You obviously have not clue about the comparative force strengths of the North Korean Armed Forces vs. The South.

The US military base now functions as more of a training ground and logistical base for cooperation.


Please do a little more research on the matter. The other poster's comment was insulting and asinine, admittedly. The fact remains, though, that the US forces in Korea are there merely for provisions and training for the Korean military. The South Korea military leadership considers the presence and combat assistance of the US forces necessary.

Quote:
Do you think Germans need foreign men to protect them? Or view it that way?


Germany and the United States are part of NATO. They train and work together. The ROK and the USA have a mutual defense treaty, not to mention that the ROK government has specifically requested the UN forces remain in country, so the ROK and the US forces train and work together so that if it comes to active combat they can fight the enemy together.


Last edited by CentralCali on Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Moondoggy



Joined: 07 Jun 2011

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unibrow wrote:
It's just a song, you people are really sensitive. Care more.


^I could not agree more with you.

Psy is just a pop singer probably with a below average IQ like these haters on Dave’s ESL board. They’re mad at him because he’s Korean, gaining so much popularity in the USA. Or probably they found out that he's actually a half brother of Osama Bin Laden. And Saddam Hussein was their father.

이정희, a Korean who really hates America.
http://search.nate.com/search/all.html?q=%C0%CC%C1%A4%C8%F1&hi=PR314123&ht=h_pf&ssn=012&dsn=4

@Taylormade "penitent Psy brings 'Gangnam Style' to Washington"
http://news.nate.com/view/20121211n03560
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hiamnotcool



Joined: 06 Feb 2012

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moondoggy wrote:
Unibrow wrote:
It's just a song, you people are really sensitive. Care more.


^I could not agree more with you.

Psy is just a pop singer probably with a below average IQ like these haters on Dave’s ESL board. They’re mad at him because he’s Korean, gaining so much popularity in the USA. Or probably they found out that he's actually a half brother of Osama Bin Laden. And Saddam Hussein was their father.

이정희, a Korean who really hates America.
http://search.nate.com/search/all.html?q=%C0%CC%C1%A4%C8%F1&hi=PR314123&ht=h_pf&ssn=012&dsn=4

@Taylormade "penitent Psy brings 'Gangnam Style' to Washington"
http://news.nate.com/view/20121211n03560


I never understand comments like these. This is a forum where we discuss things. That is why we are talking about this. Just because people post comments on here doesn't mean we are losing sleep or crying about the given topic. If you don't want to deal with that, then why do you come to these forums and comment on the topic? Nobody is freaking out here, we are just talking about what is going on with PSY.

Also, do you agree with what PSY said about torturing families? How do you feel about those lyrics specifically?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John Stamos jr.



Joined: 07 Oct 2012
Location: Namsan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moondoggy is an angry Korean guy, that's why.

I wish he had received more flack for what he said, as most others have said previously.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Smithington



Joined: 14 Dec 2011

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geldedgoat wrote:
Smithington wrote:
It is telling that Korea's very first pop celebrity to make it big in the States has a lot of racist baggage coming along with him. It's not as if fifty other K-pop stars made it in the States, and that PSY is just one bad apple. He's the first, and already there's a scandal.


Do Wondergirls, SNSD, and Rain not count?


Yeah, you're right. They took the States by storm. What was I thinking?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
geldedgoat



Joined: 05 Mar 2009

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithington wrote:
geldedgoat wrote:
Smithington wrote:
It is telling that Korea's very first pop celebrity to make it big in the States has a lot of racist baggage coming along with him. It's not as if fifty other K-pop stars made it in the States, and that PSY is just one bad apple. He's the first, and already there's a scandal.


Do Wondergirls, SNSD, and Rain not count?


Yeah, you're right. They took the States by storm. What was I thinking?


They've performed sold-out concerts here and have had a number of TV performances. They're obviously not as popular as PSY, but with him having the #1 video on youtube, no one is. Still, he wasn't the first.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
everything-is-everything



Joined: 06 Jun 2011

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geldedgoat wrote:
Smithington wrote:
geldedgoat wrote:
Smithington wrote:
It is telling that Korea's very first pop celebrity to make it big in the States has a lot of racist baggage coming along with him. It's not as if fifty other K-pop stars made it in the States, and that PSY is just one bad apple. He's the first, and already there's a scandal.


Do Wondergirls, SNSD, and Rain not count?


Yeah, you're right. They took the States by storm. What was I thinking?


They've performed sold-out concerts here and have had a number of TV performances. They're obviously not as popular as PSY, but with him having the #1 video on youtube, no one is. Still, he wasn't the first.



Was the Mexican singer Selena popular in America?

Well she sold out concerts in the States, but I wouldn't call her popular.

Like Rain and the other groups she was popular among her cultural group, but never really crossed the spectrum.



Psy was the first entertainer to go mainstream in the US. No Korean entertainer had done this before him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Smithington



Joined: 14 Dec 2011

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're embarrassing yourself if you think these bands made it big in the States. Honestly, you really are! How can they be 'big' if 99.99% of Americans have never heard of them. And of those who have heard of them, most are likely Koreans.

The Wondergirls made it big in the United States. Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Steelrails



Joined: 12 Mar 2009
Location: Earth, Solar System

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Please do a little more research on the matter. The other poster's comment was insulting and asinine, admittedly. The fact remains, though, that the US forces in Korea are there merely for provisions and training for the Korean military. The South Korea military leadership considers the presence and combat assistance of the US forces necessary.


Oh I agree. Why not have the assistance of the best military on the planet? The U.S. makes victory easier, but they aren't "protecting" Korea.

Quote:
They train and work together. The ROK and the USA have a mutual defense treaty, not to mention that the ROK government has specifically requested the UN forces remain in country, so the ROK and the US forces train and work together so that if it comes to active combat they can fight the enemy together.


Yeah, that's what I think to.

But that guy apparently turned the U.S.-ROK military relationship into some sort of "Korean insecurity" issue and Psy turned it into some sort of "America, the devil" issue, though Psy's case was clearly worse as he advocated for the barbaric torture of women and children.

Quote:
You're embarrassing yourself if you think these bands made it big in the States. Honestly, you really are! How can they be 'big' if 99.99% of Americans have never heard of them. And of those who have heard of them, most are likely Koreans.


I agree. The only one who could sorta count is Rain, and that's because of his appearance on the Colbert Report, not because of his music.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fosterman



Joined: 16 Nov 2011

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psy is known I will give him that, he has appeared on talk shows, only because he is the old chubby asian guy dancing around like a horse.
you do realize that the talking dog on you tube has like 150 million views!

it's not that Americans or the world think psy is good, they think he is funny, so they are literally laughing at him! an old asian guy dancing like a horse
if that is not the comic relief type cast in a movie I don't know what is.
LOL

when psy sells out stadiums in 20 cities across USA to more than 50% non asian guests, then he made it..

what's he gonna do? dance like a horse for 2 hours?

his 15 minutes are numbered, he will try the USA thing as all have, he will make some money, but he will never be taken seriously.
he is the joke! the comic relief! the talking dog! the talking babies!
THE OLD FAT ASIAN GUY DANCING LIKE A HORSE!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Scorpion



Joined: 15 Apr 2012

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fosterman wrote:
when psy sells out stadiums in 20 cities across USA to more than 50% non asian guests, then he made it..

what's he gonna do? dance like a horse for 2 hours?


LOL Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
highstreet



Joined: 13 Nov 2010

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fosterman wrote:
psy is known I will give him that, he has appeared on talk shows, only because he is the old chubby asian guy dancing around like a horse.
you do realize that the talking dog on you tube has like 150 million views!

it's not that Americans or the world think psy is good, they think he is funny, so they are literally laughing at him! an old asian guy dancing like a horse
if that is not the comic relief type cast in a movie I don't know what is.
LOL

when psy sells out stadiums in 20 cities across USA to more than 50% non asian guests, then he made it..

what's he gonna do? dance like a horse for 2 hours?

his 15 minutes are numbered, he will try the USA thing as all have, he will make some money, but he will never be taken seriously.
he is the joke! the comic relief! the talking dog! the talking babies!
THE OLD FAT ASIAN GUY DANCING LIKE A HORSE!


This post reeks of jealousy. And a little bit of crazy.

I'm sure Psy really cares about living up to your expectations. According to your own words, you're most likely a failure in life.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nautilus



Joined: 26 Nov 2005
Location: Je jump, Tu jump, oui jump!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithington wrote:
It is telling that Korea's very first pop celebrity to make it big in the States has a lot of racist baggage coming along with him. It's not as if fifty other K-pop stars made it in the States, and that PSY is just one bad apple. He's the first, and already there's a scandal. This should reveal to the world how ingrained racism and xenophobia is in South Korea.



Koreans are trying to succeed at cultural export while still retaining (or at least concealing) their racism.

Their national goal is to advance materially while remaining genetically distinct.

Take away their sense of nationalistic pride and many Koreans would have nothing left.


Last edited by nautilus on Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CentralCali



Joined: 17 May 2007

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Oh I agree. Why not have the assistance of the best military on the planet? The U.S. makes victory easier, but they aren't "protecting" Korea.


Ah, but they are. It's part of that whole treaty thing.

Quote:
But that guy apparently turned the U.S.-ROK military relationship into some sort of "Korean insecurity" issue and Psy turned it into some sort of "America, the devil" issue, though Psy's case was clearly worse as he advocated for the barbaric torture of women and children.


Yep. They both made asinine and insulting comments. And, as you say, Psy's were worse. And his apology wasn't anything of the sort--it was merely an excuse for his earlier behavior: no remorse, no regret.

Quote:
I agree. The only one who could sorta count is Rain, and that's because of his appearance on the Colbert Report, not because of his music.


Wasn't Rain also in some lame movie?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 11 of 21

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2013 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International