Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PSY's rabid anti-American past
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Taylormade

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's a one hit wonder. "That weird chubby guy with the bow-tie who did that silly dance." The Weird Al Yankovich of 2012 Only difference is Weird Al had several 'hits' (Shocked). Oh, and he never rapped anything about torturing the children of his listeners.

What does "Psy" rhyme with? Oh yeah, "bye".
highstreet

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvalmer wrote:
hiamnotcool wrote:
From what I understand a lot of people in Korea already hate PSY and are kind of confused about why he became so popular. I guess now I know why they hate him.

A lot of the hatred comes from his questionable military service his first time around, the reason he had to do his service twice.

And I bet Koreans are confused because they think only good looking people can get famous in America. Hence there fruitless efforts trying to market Wonder Girls or what other pretty boy/girl bands they have. JYP even spent a few years stateside, he should know better than waste his money and time on the US market.

This, along with most Koreans that I've met, consider Psy to be an ***hole. My friend works for a large intl music label and he's met Psy a bunch of times, every time he meets him he say's he's rude as ****.
fosterman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taylormade wrote:
He's a one hit wonder. "That weird chubby guy with the bow-tie who did that silly dance." The Weird Al Yankovich of 2012 Only difference is Weird Al had several 'hits' (Shocked). Oh, and he never rapped anything about torturing the children of his listeners.

What does "Psy" rhyme with? Oh yeah, "bye".

hahahahahah you made me spill my coffee, that's funny!! Laughing
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taylormade wrote:
I'd like to know what kind of coverage this controversy is currently getting in the Korean media. Are they simply reporting the facts of the story? Are they condemning his comments, or trying to justify them? Has any Korean media - anywhere - outright condemned his behaviour. Because in any Western country the media would be all over him if he had said those things about Koreans.

Anything?

More fear mongering? Really, people get so dull...
fosterman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

highstreet wrote:
jvalmer wrote:
hiamnotcool wrote:
From what I understand a lot of people in Korea already hate PSY and are kind of confused about why he became so popular. I guess now I know why they hate him.

A lot of the hatred comes from his questionable military service his first time around, the reason he had to do his service twice.

And I bet Koreans are confused because they think only good looking people can get famous in America. Hence there fruitless efforts trying to market Wonder Girls or what other pretty boy/girl bands they have. JYP even spent a few years stateside, he should know better than waste his money and time on the US market.

This, along with most Koreans that I've met, consider Psy to be an ***hole. My friend works for a large intl music label and he's met Psy a bunch of times, every time he meets him he say's he's rude as ****.

yep, Ive heard the same thing, and most Koreans didn't like him after his military dodging and then breaking the military rules, also his reputation as a womanizer and treating his dancers, friends in bad ways, and others is notorious. he will screw you over and has done so ..

also him coming from a rich family and being a bad son also adds fuel to the fire.
a lot of Koreans are embarrassed that he is the poster boy for Korea.
there are so many other entertainers who should be holding the torch, not this guy they say.
hiamnotcool

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fosterman wrote:
highstreet wrote:
jvalmer wrote:
hiamnotcool wrote:

yep, Ive heard the same thing, and most Koreans didn't like him after his military dodging and then breaking the military rules, also his reputation as a womanizer and treating his dancers, friends in bad ways, and others is notorious. he will screw you over and has done so ..

also him coming from a rich family and being a bad son also adds fuel to the fire.
a lot of Koreans are embarrassed that he is the poster boy for Korea.
there are so many other entertainers who should be holding the torch, not this guy they say.

Yeah I was kind of happy it wasn't a good looking plastic pop star that finally broke through, then I realized I was playing the perfect ignorant foreigner. It's pretty embarrassing. I think he also said some bad stuff about former President Roh selling out to the USA, which must seem pretty ironic to the Koreans now. As much hate as he has accumulated here, he still seems to be marketing everything. It's pretty sad that it was my country that brought this guy into the spotlight. I attribute it to the stereotypical american laziness and ignorance. I want to say we have learned our lesson, but yeah, not really.
Unibrow

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PSY has dared to speak against the hero worship of American troops presented in the American media. He and many other Koreans have reasons for hating American troops, and it's not just Iraq.
hiamnotcool

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unibrow wrote:
PSY has dared to speak against the hero worship of American troops presented in the American media. He and many other Koreans have reasons for hating American troops, and it's not just Iraq.

No he advocated torturing women and children. Do you agree with his lyrics? What are you thoughts on what he said? It's ok if he wants to bash the troops, if you think there aren't any American entertainers or politicians that have done that you are living in a dream world. It's the nature of his criticism. So how do you feel about the lyrics that he sang?
Seoulman69

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
PSY has dared to speak against the hero worship of American troops presented in the American media.

It wasn't speaking out about American troops that upsets most people. It's the comments about murdering their family that is the bone of contention. Many bands have spoken out about the US army. The Stone Roses said in an interview with an American radio station that the US army should "stop killing babies". Ian Brown then went on to write a song about the war in Iraq called Illegal Attacks which condemns not just the US government but also the UK government.
If you're going to say something then you stand by your comments. Psy is an opportunistic two faced snake. He's happy to advocate the murder of innocent families yet will still perform to an audience of US soldiers. He has no integrity and I hope he fades to oblivion as soon as possible.
Moondoggy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

highstreet wrote:
fosterman wrote:
psy is known I will give him that, he has appeared on talk shows, only because he is the old chubby asian guy dancing around like a horse.
you do realize that the talking dog on you tube has like 150 million views!

it's not that Americans or the world think psy is good, they think he is funny, so they are literally laughing at him! an old asian guy dancing like a horse
if that is not the comic relief type cast in a movie I don't know what is.
LOL

when psy sells out stadiums in 20 cities across USA to more than 50% non asian guests, then he made it..

what's he gonna do? dance like a horse for 2 hours?

his 15 minutes are numbered, he will try the USA thing as all have, he will make some money, but he will never be taken seriously.
he is the joke! the comic relief! the talking dog! the talking babies!
THE OLD FAT ASIAN GUY DANCING LIKE A HORSE!

This post reeks of jealousy. And a little bit of crazy.

I'm sure Psy really cares about living up to your expectations. According to your own words, you're most likely a failure in life.

Precisely.

geldedgoat wrote:
It seems a number of people here are under the false assumption that all controversial statements are made the same. Unless your comparison involves calling for the murder of innocents and intent or sincerity can be demonstrated, you'd be better off not inviting ridicule.

And no one died or got motivated by that song, except for the foolish ESL caf� trolls.

The story finally ends like this.

http://news.nate.com/view/20121211n06460
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/12/obama-meets-psy-amid-flap-over-rappers-anti-u-s-lyrics/

Kudos to these two cool guys from the two greatest countries on planet Earth.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moondoggy wrote:

Awesomeness. Noticed this on the news at the gym but didn't know what the heck it was all about, makes sense now.
hiamnotcool

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
Moondoggy wrote:

Awesomeness. Noticed this on the news at the gym but didn't know what the heck it was all about, makes sense now.

Would either of you like to comment on his lyrics and how you feel about them? I see a lot of people defending free speech and comparing him to musicians but you haven't really said how you feel about his lyrics. What are your thoughts on what he said about torturing and killing families?
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moondoggy wrote:
highstreet wrote:
fosterman wrote:
psy is known I will give him that, he has appeared on talk shows, only because he is the old chubby asian guy dancing around like a horse.
you do realize that the talking dog on you tube has like 150 million views!

it's not that Americans or the world think psy is good, they think he is funny, so they are literally laughing at him! an old asian guy dancing like a horse
if that is not the comic relief type cast in a movie I don't know what is.
LOL

when psy sells out stadiums in 20 cities across USA to more than 50% non asian guests, then he made it..

what's he gonna do? dance like a horse for 2 hours?

his 15 minutes are numbered, he will try the USA thing as all have, he will make some money, but he will never be taken seriously.
he is the joke! the comic relief! the talking dog! the talking babies!
THE OLD FAT ASIAN GUY DANCING LIKE A HORSE!

This post reeks of jealousy. And a little bit of crazy.

I'm sure Psy really cares about living up to your expectations. According to your own words, you're most likely a failure in life.

Precisely.

geldedgoat wrote:
It seems a number of people here are under the false assumption that all controversial statements are made the same. Unless your comparison involves calling for the murder of innocents and intent or sincerity can be demonstrated, you'd be better off not inviting ridicule.

And no one died or got motivated by that song, except for the foolish ESL caf� trolls.

The story finally ends like this.

http://news.nate.com/view/20121211n06460
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/12/obama-meets-psy-amid-flap-over-rappers-anti-u-s-lyrics/

lol, look at that sparkly granny Christmas shirt Psy was wearing.

Oh... I must be "jealous" and "crazy", right? Moondoggy and highstreet, we know you two are Korean dudes who have a raging boner for Psy, making you the actual freaks here. It's these kinds of people who make this site so lame sometimes.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiamnotcool wrote:
KimchiNinja wrote:
Moondoggy wrote:

Would either of you like to comment on his lyrics and how you feel about them? I see a lot of people defending free speech and comparing him to musicians but you haven't really said how you feel about his lyrics. What are your thoughts on what he said about torturing and killing families?

Fair question. I support the artist's right to create, and the audience's right to like it or not. As far as myself as a listener, meh I don�t listen to pop music and don�t care, but I think his lyrics suck. However if it was his intention to protest Americans killing people for oil then I applaud the guy.
hiamnotcool

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
hiamnotcool wrote:
KimchiNinja wrote:
Moondoggy wrote:

Fair question. I support the artist's right to create, and the audience's right to like it or not. As far as myself as a listener, meh I don�t listen to pop music and don�t care, but I think his lyrics suck. However if it was his intention to protest Americans killing people for oil then I applaud the guy.

Yeah I was expecting an answer from you and the other posters that share your feelings that would be as vague as PSY's apology. Instead of giving your opinion you just attack people that provide theirs. I like the little IF....THEN....nice try. Do you think it was appropriate to advocate torturing women and children as a form of protest? Are you capable of providing a concrete opinion on anything? Maybe you are just on this thread because it annoys you that foreigners are being critical of anything in Korea, regardless of how heinous it might be. Obama is still killing people over oil btw. So how do you feel about PSY dancing for him and then shaking his hand?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 13 of 21

Jump to: