Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PSY's rabid anti-American past
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kuros

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mix1 wrote:
Kuros wrote:
Look, Fox has a point. Racism is an ideology. For a word to be racist, it has to be accompanied by the ideological intent.

Laughing Ok, try this: go around calling people racial slurs. When they get offended, just tell them to relax because there was no ideological intent behind it. That will certainly smooth everything out.

How do you know "big-nose" has no ideological intent behind it? Just because it's a slur against whites doesn't make it any less racist than say... "slant-eyes" or something like that.

Eh.

Kuros wrote:
I'm comfortable with people inferring that ideological intent depending on context. Its pretty apparent that Psy was displaying hatred and racism against Americans, as he was advocating collective punishment.
Mix1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuros wrote:
Mix1 wrote:
Kuros wrote:
Look, Fox has a point. Racism is an ideology. For a word to be racist, it has to be accompanied by the ideological intent.

Laughing Ok, try this: go around calling people racial slurs. When they get offended, just tell them to relax because there was no ideological intent behind it. That will certainly smooth everything out.

How do you know "big-nose" has no ideological intent behind it? Just because it's a slur against whites doesn't make it any less racist than say... "slant-eyes" or something like that.

Eh.

Kuros wrote:
I'm comfortable with people inferring that ideological intent depending on context. Its pretty apparent that Psy was displaying hatred and racism against Americans, as he was advocating collective punishment.

Eh. I agree and of course ideological intent can be inferred, but your statement above was still wrong. Ideological intent matters a lot, but is not the sole criteria, and I don't know where you came up with that "rule".

Using 'big-nose' as an example, we might find Koreans who like big noses and just giggle when they say that word to us and not mean anything harmful, but the word itself is still a slur and commonly used as one, whether it's some ajummas giggling about it or some guy shouting it from a crowd as you walk by.
andrewchon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you didn't know already: '---쟁이' is a job title. It is used for low class jobs: i.e. the craftsman. Only one job was lower than the craftsman: the butcher (백정). When missionaries came at my door, I used to ask them 'Are you 예수쟁이'? and they never came back. So, '코쟁이' is a racial slur.
Mix1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewchon wrote:
If you didn't know already: '---쟁이' is a job title. It is used for low class jobs: i.e. the craftsman. Only one job was lower than the craftsman: the butcher (백정). When missionaries came at my door, I used to ask them 'Are you 예수쟁이'? and they never came back. So, '코쟁이' is a racial slur.

So, could 예수쟁이 be translated roughly as "Jesus freak"?

Example:
Knock knock.
My dad: "Ah the Jesus freaks are back again."
highstreet

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think adding "쟁이" to a word makes it negative. A common expression, "월급쟁이", which translates to salary employee, isn't necessarily negative in certain context.
andrewchon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO 'Jesus freak' doesn't carry as much venom as '예수쟁이'. I can't imagine a jesus freak would be too offended if one said that to his face.

A '월급쟁이' is a low-salary person with no prospect of promotion or getting a raise. If he's got a family then add zero disposable income to the litany of woe. However, you're right. It isn't that bad to to called as such.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Stamos jr. wrote:
I wonder what the extent of the backlash is going to be. Are those translated lyrics correct? When I put it into google translate I got:

"F****** torturing Iraqi prisoners Dan and the amount of room for gardeners
Advisor told you to Shit on the amount of room for gardeners
Baby Amy daughter-in-law Abby Ofay kill
Very slowly killing him suffer."

Who's Dan and what's that about gardeners? Shocked

About Dan and the gardeners:

씨발 is like the f-word. Combined with other words, it makes
the swear word worse (for example 씨발새끼). 양(洋) refers to
Westerners, in particular, white Westerners. 년 (used as a suffix) is a
very derogatory word for woman. 놈 is a derogatory word for
male. 들 is a marker that emphasizes plurality.

The song says, "Kill all the Westerners, male and female. Kill all "big noses".
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk about keeping your promises...
World Traveler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In reality, the rap in some ways was more racist than ideological. It referred to �long-nosed� foreigners and something like �white bitches and bastards,� or "white lowlife," according to three reviewers fluent in both Korean and English, including a Ph.D. expert on Korea.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/2013/01/18/psy-song-racist-anti-american

fosterman wrote:
god, seriously, nothing can stop this song? even the singer saying
F*#K YOU USA, hope you all die a slow miserable death. die MOFO DIE, DIE DIE DIE.. now that doesn't stop his success, I really don't know what will.

Psy just wrapped up shooting for his first U.S. television ad, an ad which will air during the Super Bowl. (There are also rumors he will do his dance at the Super Bowl halftime show. Not sure if that will happen; we'll have to wait and see.)
http://www.allkpop.com/2013/01/psy-wraps-up-filming-for-the-wonderful-pistachios-super-bowl-commercial
Also in today's news, he bought a million dollar home in LA. I guess he's here to stay. (Years from now, we will be hearing Gangnam Style on oldies stations.)
hiamnotcool

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
Quote:
In reality, the rap in some ways was more racist than ideological. It referred to �long-nosed� foreigners and something like �white bitches and bastards,� or "white lowlife," according to three reviewers fluent in both Korean and English, including a Ph.D. expert on Korea.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/2013/01/18/psy-song-racist-anti-american

fosterman wrote:
god, seriously, nothing can stop this song? even the singer saying
F*#K YOU USA, hope you all die a slow miserable death. die MOFO DIE, DIE DIE DIE.. now that doesn't stop his success, I really don't know what will.

Psy just wrapped up shooting for his first U.S. television ad, an ad which will air during the Super Bowl. (There are also rumors he will do his dance at the Super Bowl halftime show. Not sure if that will happen; we'll have to wait and see.)
http://www.allkpop.com/2013/01/psy-wraps-up-filming-for-the-wonderful-pistachios-super-bowl-commercial
Also in today's news, he bought a million dollar home in LA. I guess he's here to stay. (Years from now, we will be hearing Gangnam Style on oldies stations.)

The sad part is this doesn't fall on Korea at all, this is all the USA propping him up.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psy to perform at S. Korea's presidential inauguration
http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/lifestyle/story/psy-perform-s-koreas-presidential-inauguration-20130127
Quote:
The rapper will perform to a 60,000-strong audience during the ceremony to be held at the National Assembly in the capital Seoul on Feb 25, spokesman for the South's president-elect Park Geun Hye told reporters.

For some reason it seems strange to me to have a performance of Gangnam Style during a dignified ceremony (in a conservative country).
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]Psy just wrapped up shooting for his first U.S. television ad, an ad which will air during the Super Bowl. (There are also rumors he will do his dance at the Super Bowl halftime show. Not sure if that will happen; we'll have to wait and see.)
[quote]

Wow, you guys really loved that song Shocked
World Traveler

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not just the Yanks:

Psy sweeps France's NRJ Awards
Quote:
Psy was the unlikely winner at France's annual music awards ceremony last night

http://www.rte.ie/ten/2013/0127/nrjawards.html
Quote:
Though international artists flooded the red carpet, the South Korean pop sensation was the biggest winner on the night taking home awards for International Song of the Year and best Music Video of the Year.
12ax7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
Psy to perform at S. Korea's presidential inauguration
http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/lifestyle/story/psy-perform-s-koreas-presidential-inauguration-20130127
Quote:
The rapper will perform to a 60,000-strong audience during the ceremony to be held at the National Assembly in the capital Seoul on Feb 25, spokesman for the South's president-elect Park Geun Hye told reporters.

For some reason it seems strange to me to have a performance of Gangnam Style during a dignified ceremony (in a conservative country).

As long as they don't have a pop singer lip syncing the national anthem. Wink
World Traveler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beyonce said she sang to a prerecorded track because she didn't want to mess up such an important event. Since then, she has sung live.

Now, back to Psy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE6iiiDdTNY

schwa wrote:
Noticed Gangnam Style being broadcast in the stadium with a minute & a half to go & the game still up for grabs. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 20 of 21

Jump to: