Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PSY's rabid anti-American past
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Captain Corea



Joined: 28 Feb 2005
Location: Seoul

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
Smithington wrote:
KimchiNinja wrote:
I dunno guys, what is the problem specifically with what Psy rapped about? He's an artist and can rap about anything he wants to rap about.
Yes, you are right. But he can't perform songs like that and expect the American public to embrace him.


Did he ever ask the American public to embrace him?


Dancing on The Today Show is close enough to that. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
everything-is-everything



Joined: 06 Jun 2011

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actionjackson wrote:

Supposing somebody is able to get the attention of the media about this, do you think it will really matter to Americans or is Psy simply another flavor of the month?


Gangnam Style isn't just a flavor of the month thing. This $hitz been going strong in America since the summer. Like it or not it's the party anthem of 2012.

Quote:
And then, supposing there is some sort of outrage, what do you think Korea's reaction will be now that there's some tarnish on their golden boy?


This is what excites me the most Laughing




Taylormade wrote:

Yup. I was here back in the day when the demonstrations were going on. Signs on shop windows said "No Americans welcome. You re all guilty." A friend and I walked into a restaurant and they wouldn't serve us. I told them I wasn't American (I'm Canadian) but they didn't care. I was a "big nose". I was also assaulted by two random Koreans (whom I'd never met or spoken to, or even looked at) for talking to a Korean woman outside a hof. Two guys walked up pushed her aside, beat the crap out of me and ran off. Now I'm wondering if they were inspied by PSY's lyrics and the atmosphere he helped create.


So you were here in 2002 and joined Daves in 2012?
Troll? or previously banned?



Steelrails wrote:
If this breaks it'll send his US song sales plummeting but his Middle East sales skyrocketing.



lolz - so true

but to be honest if I was an Iraqi or Afghani and my family members were murdered, raped or taken out by a drone by an American soldier I would feel exactly like Psy's lyrics.



fosterman wrote:
there will be no backlash!



Yeah I gotta disagree here. I really think Fox News would run with this story.

Have you ever watched Fox?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Taylormade



Joined: 31 Oct 2012
Location: Incheon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

everything-is-everything wrote:
Taylormade wrote:

Yup. I was here back in the day when the demonstrations were going on. Signs on shop windows said "No Americans welcome. You re all guilty." A friend and I walked into a restaurant and they wouldn't serve us. I told them I wasn't American (I'm Canadian) but they didn't care. I was a "big nose". I was also assaulted by two random Koreans (whom I'd never met or spoken to, or even looked at) for talking to a Korean woman outside a hof. Two guys walked up pushed her aside, beat the crap out of me and ran off. Now I'm wondering if they were inspied by PSY's lyrics and the atmosphere he helped create.


So you were here in 2002 and joined Daves in 2012?
Troll? or previously banned?


You're trying too hard. Like plenty of other people I came here back in the day and put in a few years, then went home. Now I'm back (for better or worse). But thanks for playing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Taylormade



Joined: 31 Oct 2012
Location: Incheon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fosterman wrote:
What did Americans do? NOT BLAME KOREA! that's what they did and I remember how shocked Koreans were for that, they expected USA to totally slam Korea for that. but why? ohh because that's what Korea would of done if an American student opened fire at Hongik and killed 22 innocent Koreans. we would of never heard the end of it.


They blamed the gunman. There was no reason to blame Korea / Koreans. They focused on the individual, lax gun laws and mental health issus. Very mature actually, compared to (as you say) the response from Koreans had the situation been reversed. But with PSY they will again focus on the individual - PSY himself. Only this case his behaviour is connected to the larger culture. Both he and Korean racism / xenophobia will / ought to be condemned in this case.

The gunman was held responsible. PSY will be held responsible too. Only difference is there was a cultural engine pushing him forward. That might provide him with some lame excuse to save his reputation, but by doing so he will only futher tarnish Korea's reputation. And an apology could damage his status within Korea. "What are apologizing to the Americans for?" It's a lose - lose situation and I'm quite curious about how this will all play out.

Fun times ahead. Very Happy


Last edited by Taylormade on Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CentralCali



Joined: 17 May 2007

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taylormade wrote:
fosterman wrote:
What did Americans do? NOT BLAME KOREA! that's what they did and I remember how shocked Koreans were for that, they expected USA to totally slam Korea for that. but why? ohh because that's what Korea would of done if an American student opened fire at Hongik and killed 22 innocent Koreans. we would of never heard the end of it.


They blamed the gunman. There was no reason to blame Korea / Koreans. They focused on the individual, lax gun laws and mental health issus. Very mature actually, compared to (as you say) the response from Koreans had the situation been reversed. But with PSY they will again focus on the individual - PSY himself. Only this case his behaviour is connected to the larger culture. Both he and Korean racism / xenophobia will / ought to be condemned in this case.

The gunman was held responsible. PSY will be held responsible too. Only diffeence is there was a cultural engine pushing him forward.


You left something out. More than a hanful of Koreans I met were quite adamant that the gunman "wasn't really Korean. He's basically American." Yeah, right. Way to not blame an entire society, there, folks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Scorpion



Joined: 15 Apr 2012

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a google search and ROK Drop has a brief article on this development. http://rokdrop.com/2012/12/03/psys-anti-american-past-uncovered/ I don't think you'll be seeing any more US Army personnel doing that goofy dance anymore. And that's a very good thing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
actionjackson



Joined: 30 Dec 2007
Location: Any place I'm at

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:
I did a google search and ROK Drop has a brief article on this development. http://rokdrop.com/2012/12/03/psys-anti-american-past-uncovered/ I don't think you'll be seeing any more US Army personnel doing that goofy dance anymore. And that's a very good thing.

I should be working on more important things right now but thought I would do this too and more articles are popping up. This article says basically the same thing as your link, I just liked the headline.
Quote:
Somebody is spreading a rumor that Psy is involved in a controversy because of a Korean American guy who is claiming that Psy is anti-American.

From what I read below, it seems the lyrics are more about anti-torture, although the family and Yankee thing was harsh and defeats the original point by asking for a reverse torture.

http://forums.allkpop.com/threads/psy-might-get-kicked-out-of-united-states.64190/

And this article actually came out last week.

Quote:
PSY’s being "outspoken" was caught on tape and was, until recently, posted on YouTube. It has since been pulled by entertainment company CJ E&M for "copyright claims."

http://www.busanhaps.com/article/exclusive-psys-once-passionate-protesting-past
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
fosterman



Joined: 16 Nov 2011

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

everything-is-everything wrote:



Yeah I gotta disagree here. I really think Fox News would run with this story.

Have you ever watched Fox?


why haven't they then? they are not interested,
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
everything-is-everything



Joined: 06 Jun 2011

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fosterman wrote:
everything-is-everything wrote:



Yeah I gotta disagree here. I really think Fox News would run with this story.

Have you ever watched Fox?


why haven't they then? they are not interested,



Well a thread about this was only created a day or so ago and we're in freakin' Korea!

I don't think this story has reached the right (or wrong) news producers. Plus how will people in the States hear about this story? It's not like the Korean blogsphere is popular back home.

Sometimes news stories take time to develope, but if you read this site, ROK drop and Marmot's Hole there are likely going to be a few people sending this information to various American media outlets.


Just wait and see my friend Laughing wait and see.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
newb



Joined: 27 Aug 2012
Location: Korea

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope Bill O'Reilly will break the news.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fosterman



Joined: 16 Nov 2011

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

everything-is-everything wrote:
fosterman wrote:
everything-is-everything wrote:



Yeah I gotta disagree here. I really think Fox News would run with this story.

Have you ever watched Fox?


why haven't they then? they are not interested,



Well a thread about this was only created a day or so ago and we're in freakin' Korea!

I don't think this story has reached the right (or wrong) news producers. Plus how will people in the States hear about this story? It's not like the Korean blogsphere is popular back home.

Sometimes news stories take time to develope, but if you read this site, ROK drop and Marmot's Hole there are likely going to be a few people sending this information to various American media outlets.


Just wait and see my friend Laughing wait and see.


cnn knew about it months ago, they chose to ignore it.
guess having Psy on TALK ASIA wasn't a good look for them so they chose to ignore it, and just ride the wave with psy. also Koreans are big payers for advertising, Korean air, lg, samsung, etc..
might not want to be running with a story which is tarnishing Koreans, Korea etc..
we will see..

anyway, it's not like psy is so loved here anyway.
he searved military service twice, broke the law, tried to get out of it, has been caught with drugs, a womanizer, etc etc..

now all of a sudden kangnam style he is the Korean ambassador, he is probably wishing this song came out 4 years ago, the government would of given him a special pardon from the military I am sure.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Died By Bear



Joined: 13 Jul 2010
Location: On the big lake they call Gitche Gumee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucas wrote:
Quote:
It would be interesting to know what Korea, heck, even Iraq, would be like without any American involvement.


Slimmer!


That was good, I lol'd hard. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
everything-is-everything



Joined: 06 Jun 2011

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fosterman wrote:


cnn knew about it months ago, they chose to ignore it.


guess having Psy on TALK ASIA wasn't a good look for them so they chose to ignore it, and just ride the wave with psy. also Koreans are big payers for advertising, Korean air, lg, samsung, etc..
might not want to be running with a story which is tarnishing Koreans, Korea etc..
we will see..



Yeah, the article on CNN was actually on CNN I-report. Not really CNN.


I would of loved to see the host of Talk Asia bring up this to Psy during their boring as hell interview. God that was painful to sit through.

But they wouldn't do that. Fox on the other hand certainly would.




Fox btw is total b.s. and it's a joke that they call themselves a news organization. But damn they're entertaining.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
highstreet



Joined: 13 Nov 2010

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can see that the Korea haters on Dave's are salivating for this story to go viral. Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
everything-is-everything



Joined: 06 Jun 2011

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

highstreet wrote:
Can see that the Korea haters on Dave's are salivating for this story to go viral. Rolling Eyes


So you support what Psy said?


This is not some small secret here. Psy said some pretty controversial stuff and now he's parading around America milking it for all its worth.

Psy's been exposed and its time the people know the truth.


It seems YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH! Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 3 of 21

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2013 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International