Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Economist Comments on Korean Beer: It Sucks!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EZE

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: hm Reply with quote

everything-is-everything wrote:
nicwr2002 wrote:
The beers are bad, but I must say OB is noticeably better tasting

true, but they gotta change that name. It sounds too much like BO Laughing

OB is bad enough, since it's the brand of a tampon.

Anyway, I actually really like the flavor of Hite. I prefer lighter beers made of rice and corn, so I'm actually a fan of Korean beer. For the price, it's especially good. Yuengling tastes better than Hite, but it's also more expensive. Won for won, or dollar for dollar, Hite stacks up well. I can't complain. I'm enjoying a Hite right now, as a matter of fact.
Ranman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: hm Reply with quote

12ax7 wrote:
nicwr2002 wrote:
The beers are bad, but I must say OB is noticeably better tasting than both Cass and Hite. Then, they say Hite Dry Finish is a step in the right direction?? That beer tastes worse than Cass and the regular Hite. It looks like its not entirely the Korean people at fault for the bad beer. It is their government that is stopping the progression of good tasting beer.

Not entirely the government's fault since they produce Hoegarden and Carlsberg here. Not amazing beers, but several degrees better than the local breweries' normal brews.

I disagree fully with that statement about Hoegaardens. They're friggin' delicious, but I love witbiers, so I'm a little biased.
swigs

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not that Korean domestic beer is any worse than American domestic beer, it's just there is not a beer culture here. And that's understandable since most Korean's use beer as a way to rinse down soju's bad taste.

But to me, no beer could taste better than a cass or hite to drink with some K-BBQ. Something like Guinness or even a hoppy beer just doesn't sound right.

I imagine a beer culture will be come more prevalent once the majority of Korean's realize that waygooks measure quality of beer with quality of society. Soon they will have the best beer.
geldedgoat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swigs wrote:
It's not that Korean domestic beer is any worse than American domestic beer

American domestic beer is not limited to the likes of Budweiser and Coors. There is an incredibly diverse selection to choose from, unlike in Korea... and that seems to be exactly the point the article was trying to make.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swigs wrote:
It's not that Korean domestic beer is any worse than American domestic beer

I find it to be almost comparable with Budweiser, Coors and Miller just a tad bit better, but not by much.
Jimskins

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know a country's beer situation is bad when the likes of Asahi, Heineken and San Miguel are seen as premium beers.

Beyond the expat population I cant see decent brews catching on here. The number of times Ive bought a decent beer for a Korean and the response has been luke-warm at best. Their tastebuds have already been killed by drinking too much Ass, Shite and those little green bottles of So-poo.
12ax7

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

young_clinton wrote:
Do they import Korean beers into the USA? Laughing

They actually do. Bars and nightclubs catering to young Korean-Americans serve it (and, yes, drinking crappy beer is a stupid way of asserting one's identity).
skeeterses

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is some good booze in Korea though. The dark raspberry and plum wines are good, but a bit pricey. When I was in Korea though, one problem was that I couldn't find the hard cider that you can find in any American liquor store. Now that I'm back here in America, the raspberry and plum wines that would have cost $10 in Korea cost an arm and leg here. I don't miss the Korean beer.
maitaidads

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="12ax7"]
young_clinton wrote:
Do they import Korean beers into the USA? Laughing

After being back a few months and drinking tons of good beer in "Beertown" Portland, OR, I bought my old standards of Hite and Black Beer Stout at the Korean market to see how they tasted now.

I drank 1/3 of the Black, fell into a shame spiral, and poured it down the sink.
12ax7

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't bought Korean beer in a long time. No need for at any budget, really. There are plenty of imports to chose from, and large supermarket chains even sell ultra-cheap German beer that are far superior to the local brews.
motiontodismiss

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most, if not all, Korean alcoholic beverages are just....gross, not just beer. Soju especially. That stuff is just....blech. Just the smell alone makes me want to puke. There's a reason it sells for 1,000 won a bottle at the megamart.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korea sure is not a beacon of great quality beer. Thanks the Economist, that was useful lol.

I do like some of their traditional booze but beer is not their thing.
swigs

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

motiontodismiss wrote:
Most, if not all, Korean alcoholic beverages are just....gross, not just beer. Soju especially. That stuff is just....blech. Just the smell alone makes me want to puke. There's a reason it sells for 1,000 won a bottle at the megamart.

I agree, soju is just bad news, and why they have to drink it with beer to wash it down.

With all the spicy food, a quality beer would not make that huge of a difference, as the palet would be numbed.

My problem is that since the soju and beers are so cheep and low in quality, I personally believe there are various impurities in them, that could potentially cause worse hangovers, etc.

While American domestics are not that much better, we do have local and craft breweries to make up for it. Beers like Blue Moon and Heiniken really suck here, someone told me it's because they brew those domestically as well. Try a Heiniken from Amersterdam, and a Heiniken from Korea, world of difference.

Craft brewery in 'merica is catching up to good 'ol europa.

And does anyone else notice that Korean's either drink, alot, or not drink at all? I'm guessing it's because of the amount of impurities in the alcohol.
kcmo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha yeah the quality of alcohol in Korea is among the worst I have seen in the developed world.

There is, however, Craftworks Taphouse in Itaewon which is a decent place I think. It's mostly only foreigners who consume their beer, but at least there is a craft brewery in Korea............
geldedgoat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swigs wrote:
While American domestics that are exported en masse are not that much better [...]

That is an accurate statement.

C'mon, Sam Adams, Abita, New Belgium, Shiner Bock, Sierra Nevada... All these breweries produce quality beers and can be found in most grocery and convenience stores. And even the large breweries that are most famous for their horsepiss have widely available, decent beer, like Killian's from Coors and Amberbock from Budweiser.

And this doesn't even begin to touch on the incredible number of microbrews.

America's domestic scene is in no way comparable to Korea's.

Quote:
Craft brewery in 'merica is catching up to good 'ol europa.

In terms of per capita scale, America's microbrews are likely to never catch up to Europe's. In terms of quality, however, the past decade or so of international beer competitions shows something else entirely...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: