Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Corporate English Classes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nath077

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:17 am    Post subject: Corporate English Classes Reply with quote

I am currently teaching part time corporate English classes with YBM which are pretty good... on top of my kids classes which are kinda not so good.

I want to break away from the kids and hit these kind of part-time classes full-time (not like a 9-5 but where I can teach only the corporate classes) but I don't know of any other companies offering them besides Pagoda.

I'm looking for company names or websites where these jobs are advertised, pretty much anything...

Plus would love to hear from anyone whose only income comes from these part-time corporate gigs, because the contracts usually only last 3 months, I'm wondering if it's even possible to make a decent living this way.

Thanks.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Corporate English Classes Reply with quote

nath077 wrote:
I am currently teaching part time corporate English classes with YBM which are pretty good... on top of my kids classes which are kinda not so good.

I want to break away from the kids and hit these kind of part-time classes full-time (not like a 9-5 but where I can teach only the corporate classes) but I don't know of any other companies offering them besides Pagoda.

I'm looking for company names or websites where these jobs are advertised, pretty much anything...

Plus would love to hear from anyone whose only income comes from these part-time corporate gigs, because the contracts usually only last 3 months, I'm wondering if it's even possible to make a decent living this way.

Thanks.

It largely depends on your visa class.

If you are on an F2/4/5/6 then yes.
If you are good (get lots of referrals) and network well then yes you can do really well and make a decent living.

If you are on an E2 then NO.
You need a legitimate employer who can sponsor you.

Extra work, without the blessing if immigration, IS an immigration violation (activities outside your status of sojourn) and:

i) CAN get your visa canceled,
ii) CAN get you kicked out of the country,
iii) CAN get you tossed into an immigration detention center and
iv) CAN make it virtually impossible in the future to ever get a legitimate work visa in Korea.

jpe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a similar gig coming up -- no visa sponsor, part-time work. How common are part-time jobs that sponsor visas and allow you to add another job to your E-2? Is that unheard of?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpe wrote:
I've got a similar gig coming up -- no visa sponsor, part-time work. How common are part-time jobs that sponsor visas and allow you to add another job to your E-2? Is that unheard of?

Short term, less than 90 days and you can get a C4.
You still need to jump though the same hoops as either an E2 or an E7 (depending on the job classification).

OneWayTraffic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made 50mil a year from 2007-2009 from corporates plus kindy and privates.

F2 visa.

The corporates would usually run 7-9 in the morning, but only one hour. So you might find a 7-8 or an 8-9 but unless you could do two guys in the same building you wouldn't get two classes in.

Occasionally I managed to get an evening corporate class but usually they were hard to find, and the students would quit out. The classes that lasted longest for me were 1:1. The student would invest into it, and I would too. They often lasted a year or more.

During the day though, there is very little company work to be found. The occasional lunchtime class is it. This would have you working one hour at 7am, 1 hour at 12pm and 1 hour at 6pm for a 12 hour day for 150,000 or so. Not a gravy train.

You could try editing, or something, but the real money to be made is in kids. There's kindy from 10am to 2pm which is where I made the majority of my dough, the corporates and privates were to top up.

One hour 1:1 at 7am 50,000

Three hours of kids 135,000

One private in the evening 50,000

I averaged 235,000 a day for most of the year. This isn't stellar, but was a comfortable living.

This info is circa 2009. I understand things are a little tighter now, but parents will still pay to teach their kids English.

It all depends on how much money you need. One way to get more from Corporates is to organise your own classes, something that I never managed. I figure the agent was pulling about as much as I was making for simply doing the intro and some paperwork, but there you have it.

Another route is to start your own business, which usually means hagwon or the like. Sky's the limit there, if you don't lose everything.
technique

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, OneWayTraffic. That is a great return.

I have a (relatively) newly minted F-6 visa, and I'm looking to get into this type of game. I'd be interested in any

1. Suggestions on recruiters or places of employment

2. When teaching one-on-one business english, I assume you are expected to provide your own texts. Any suggestions for books?

Thanks in advance for any info!
ajstew

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: ways of earning more Reply with quote

I agree with what was said above:

I've been making between 72-84mil a year for the past few years and here is how it can be done:

Required: F-2, F-5, etc... visa
Required: Probably and MA and teaching experience.
Required: A car
Required: Probably a nice personality or at least the ability to 'play' friend.
Required: A location with a good amount of businesses or corporations within a comfortable driving distance from eachother.

-Get a good university job (3-3.5mil) that allows from 9-12 hours per semester in a schedule of your liking.

-Get part-time university teaching jobs (1 or 2 classes that pay by the hour) to fill in extra day time hours.

-Fill in those 5 morning and 4-5 evening slots at companies by making good connections with your recruiters.

-Take a good 3 hour class on Saturday or Sunday.

-Take any other positions that come along regardless of being completely comfortable with what you currently have on your schedule, because no class lasts forever. The key is to have as many multiple part-time jobs as possible so that should 1 or 2 stop unexpectedly, you will not suffer because of the loss.

Stay between 17-23 part-time hours a week at 50,000 per hour on average, and you'll be putting in a very manageable 30 hours a week for from 6.5-7.6mil after taxes.

I made 50mil a year from 2007-2009 from corporates plus kindy and privates.
F2 visa.
The corporates would usually run 7-9 in the morning, but only one hour. So you might find a 7-8 or an 8-9 but unless you could do two guys in the same building you wouldn't get two classes in.
Occasionally I managed to get an evening corporate class but usually they were hard to find, and the students would quit out. The classes that lasted longest for me were 1:1. The student would invest into it, and I would too. They often lasted a year or more.
During the day though, there is very little company work to be found. The occasional lunchtime class is it. This would have you working one hour at 7am, 1 hour at 12pm and 1 hour at 6pm for a 12 hour day for 150,000 or so. Not a gravy train.
You could try editing, or something, but the real money to be made is in kids. There's kindy from 10am to 2pm which is where I made the majority of my dough, the corporates and privates were to top up.
One hour 1:1 at 7am 50,000
Three hours of kids 135,000
One private in the evening 50,000
I averaged 235,000 a day for most of the year. This isn't stellar, but was a comfortable living.
This info is circa 2009. I understand things are a little tighter now, but parents will still pay to teach their kids English.
It all depends on how much money you need. One way to get more from Corporates is to organise your own classes, something that I never managed. I figure the agent was pulling about as much as I was making for simply doing the intro and some paperwork, but there you have it.

Another route is to start your own business, which usually means hagwon or the like. Sky's the limit there, if you don't lose everything.
Jimskins

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj - I'm working at a uni and can choose my schedule each semester. I've been doing a 1-5 Monday through Thursday but am thinking of changing it to 9am-1am instead. Which block do you think it is easy to fill up with part-time work, the morning or the afternoon? I do business english classes from 8am-9 in the morning but have been struggling to find anything between 9am-12.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: