Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beware of GnB English (BanSong), Changwon City, South Korea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sahara95355

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:18 am    Post subject: Beware of GnB English (BanSong), Changwon City, South Korea Reply with quote

Beware of GnB English Institute (BanSong) Campus, Chang-won City, South Korea

("Kyung - Nam Chang - won Ban - Rim - Dong")

The director and his wife did not honor the contract with me.

Contract violations

Violating the terms of my E - 2 visa. They had me teach at another GnB campus owned by a different director. This was not written into my contract. I should have looked over the contract more carefully and resist the pressure to sign it from my recruiter. I did not know I was doing anything illegal until the very end of my employment with them. My former recruiter Sun - A - Moon, Eze English Consulting, Changwon City sat through out the contract negotiations talking in Korean to the director and wife at the GnB (BanSong) campus.

They were suppose to give me a written notice of six weeks if they wanted to let me go, which I never received from them. This was written into the contract. I was told verbally by the other former recruiter Aaron Seo, Eze English Consulting, after finishing my teaching at a fast food restaurant.

They tried to illegally to kick me out of my apartment when I refused to work at a different GnB owned by another director. They also tried to make me sign a piece of paper that would make me obligated to do it. When I refused I was told to leave my apartment on Friday night, right after I finished my teaching shift. I was also told that I would not get my pay for November, or the extra money agreed by the Labor Board. I refuse to hand over my keys to my apartment.

They were over 5 days late paying the money they owed me. They were mad at me for not renegotiating with them, after making a prior agreement with the labor board and me.

Other problems!

I received only 45 minutes of training and orientation, before I started working for them. I was shown how to read the class schedule and what sections of the two workbooks (speaking and writing) to cover. I was also told by the former teacher that I can teach the class anyway I wanted to, which I found out later was a complete lie.

The unannounced visits by a GnB company representative coming into my classroom. I would not mind if I was told about this during contact negotiations and I was given a criteria what I would be evaluated on. I also did not find the nonconstructive criticism helpful like that I should make the class more fun, considering this was my first job teaching children.

The director and his wife could not speak or understand English. The secretary and part time teacher translated for them. If I wanted to get any messages across to them I had to go through her.

They told me that I had to learn Korean and socialize with the students during my break time between classes. I was never told about this until two and half months working for them. I worked for this company for 3 months in case anyone wanted to know. I did socialize with the students and a lot of them liked me. I also had to mentally prepare for next class since I was teaching different subjects and English levels.

I am not claiming that I am totally innocent in this situation. However they told so many different stories to me and the labor board that I have a hard time figuring out what is true what is not. When I fly home tomorrow I will have to time to think about this situation over, and hopefully learn from my mistakes.[/b]
afsjesse

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well atleast you're out of that hole now! If you want to comeback to Korea, I suggest applying for a public school position through EPIK or GEPIK. The next round starts in March and I would suggest using ESLPLANET as they placed me perfectly.

If not, good luck in whatever you do.
isisaredead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to bump an old thread, but this is exactly what's happening to me right now.

They're also not paying pension, medical, or over W300,000 they owe me in over time.

I was lied to repeatedly about the job by my recruiter.

Everything about this position has fallen apart. Both the recruiter and the hagwon owners are the biggest liars I've ever come across in my life. I wish that was an exaggeration.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: