Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smoking banned at bars in Itaewon/Yongsan-gu
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope they ban it outside, too.

I hate smoking. Disgusting.

I'm tired of second-hand smoke. When smokers find a way to keep it to themselves, I'll allow them their habit.
rainman3277

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taylormade wrote:
rainman3277 wrote:
If you think the bars are going to risk getting fined W5,000,000 you must have been born yesterday. This is not a tough law to enforce.

LOL.

Let me list some of the other laws that are not difficult to enforce but aren't...Christ, I won't even bother. I have to teach in twenty minutes. It'll take longer than that to list all the laws that are 'on the books' in Korea but aren't enforced. Remember how they banned motorcycles on Seoul's streets three years ago? Remember that one? How is that going?

How difficult is it to pull over a car that just ran a red light? How demanding is it to put a ticket on the winsdshield of a car parked on a crosswalk? Or handing a ticket to ajoshie after he empties his nostrils on the street? Not going to happen. Same with the smoking thing. I'm a pretty militant non-smoker. Smoking around other people is obnoxious and the height of selfishness. I would love to see all bars in Itaewon go smoke free. But it's not going to happen. I do, however, find it absolutely adorable that you think it will be complied with and enforced because it's now 'the law'. Very Happy

Actually the fine i mentioned is on the business, not the smoker. And all the infractions you mentioned are minor and bust individuals. But essentially my opinion is based on the fact that I know several bar owners who are taking it very seriously. Even more adorable is when an esl teacher speaks with a condescending tone. LOL. Don't forget to tell your students to stress their r's.
toby99

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every now and then a story like this comes out about new plans/laws to ban smoking, prostitution, public drunkenness, etc, but you're an idiot if you think things will change. It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks (esp when that dog is South Korea).
Scorpion

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rainman3277 wrote:
Even more adorable is when an esl teacher speaks with a condescending tone. LOL. Don't forget to tell your students to stress their r's.

You do know that this is an ESL website? Only a clown would come to an ESL site and make a comment like that. I suspect that you have self esteem issues. Otherwise why else go off topic to make an unrelated snide remark? Curious. Everyone here has a university degree. Many of us have graduate degrees. And if you really confident that this law will be enforced then, yes, the previous poster's condescension was justified. And the condescension had nothing to do with how your make your living. It was based on your lack of comprehension of the culture surrounding you.
geldedgoat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralCali wrote:
geldedgoat wrote:
NilesQ wrote:
That's like saying not beign allowed to drive a car on the sidewalk is an attack on your freedoms!

Yup, public thoroughfares are the perfect comparison to privately-owned bars and restaurants.

Are the bars and restaurants not open to the public?

Emphasis mine.

Swampfox10mm wrote:
I'm tired of second-hand smoke. When smokers find a way to keep it to themselves, I'll allow them their habit.

You mean like confining themselves to the inside of bars and restaurants that seek to specifically accommodate the behavior? Or standing more than six feet from nonsmokers while outside? I agree; that sounds perfectly reasonable.
northway

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When kids are around, maybe.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12ax7 wrote:

Your right to ruin your health has no precedent over other people's right to protect theirs.

Exactly. And since excessive consumption of alcohol leads to traffic deaths and acts of violence, we should ban alcohol consumption. A move that has been tried before in the past to great results. Same with making other things illegal, such as narcotics.

And since we're going down the path of banning because of health- let's do away with planes, trains, automobiles, and electricity,
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Smoking banned at bars in Itaewon/Yongsan-gu Reply with quote

augustine wrote:
but what about Korean Hofs/other similar establishments in the area... how's that going to hold up?

Hey there. We were out Saturday night at a kalbi place with all Korean customers, and it was being enforced.
drydell

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
12ax7 wrote:

Your right to ruin your health has no precedent over other people's right to protect theirs.

Exactly. And since excessive consumption of alcohol leads to traffic deaths and acts of violence, we should ban alcohol consumption. A move that has been tried before in the past to great results. Same with making other things illegal, such as narcotics.

And since we're going down the path of banning because of health- let's do away with planes, trains, automobiles, and electricity,

very poor argument - but if you're going there

Quote:
More deaths are caused each year by tobacco use than by all deaths from human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), illegal drug use, alcohol use, motor vehicle injuries, suicides, and murders combined.

http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/health_effects/tobacco_related_mortality/
geldedgoat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drydell wrote:
http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/health_effects/tobacco_related_mortality/

Those people don't die from exposure to tobacco smoke; they die from defective cancer-causing genes. If only we could catch them early enough before they have a chance to reproduce, our species would be the better for it.
cj1976

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:
rainman3277 wrote:
Even more adorable is when an esl teacher speaks with a condescending tone. LOL. Don't forget to tell your students to stress their r's.

You do know that this is an ESL website? Only a clown would come to an ESL site and make a comment like that. I suspect that you have self esteem issues.

Plus it makes you look like a real cunt.
saram_

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a really good law... and I hope it will be enforced by establishments and respected by patrons...

The KEY will be and this is the difficult part-
Bars and restaurants will need to be allowed and set in place smoking areas near or adjoined to their premises. This will be more difficult in Korea than say lesser populated countries with more space. If premises here can do that then this is very workable and shouldn't see a big reduction in customers.

I think bars that enforce this properly while at the same time having the means to have a smoking area in a separate part of their premises or for example outside will thrive.
These smoking areas then become more popular than the actual bar itself and everybody is happy.. Patrons will have their drinks inside and take them to the smoking area. This works best in really busy bars!

That's the challenge!
12ax7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
12ax7 wrote:

There you go again with your red herrings.

Banning smoking in public places is not the same as an all out ban on tobacco, is it?

Last edited by 12ax7 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
tiger fancini

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saram_ wrote:

Bars and restaurants will need to be allowed and set in place smoking areas near or adjoined to their premises. This will be more difficult in Korea than say lesser populated countries with more space. If premises here can do that then this is very workable and shouldn't see a big reduction in customers.

Even as a smoker, I have to say that I felt very comfortable in smoke-free bars last time I went back to the UK. Popping outside for a quick one between rounds seems to have caught on, despite my initial doubt. Smokers are, by and large, pretty good at adjusting to each new restriction. They manage not to smoke in cinemas, on buses and aeroplanes, in their offices - all places where smoking was previously permitted. I think the majority of them will cope with not being able to smoke in bars, restaurants, coffee shops etc.

The problem will be if governments insist on outdoor smoking bans too. I think governments will have to be very careful about which outdoor areas are designated non-smoking. Parks, mountains and busy pedestrianised high streets are fair enough. But side streets, back alleys and areas behind buildings are, IMO, reasonable places for smoking.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
12ax7 wrote:

I always cringe when I hear this argument trotted out. The period of American Prohibition cannot be the only example of how a country bans a substance. There are obvious different examples... even within the US.

Throwing this card on the table... in a thread about smoking, is starting to vibe like a "as bad as Hitler" response.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 2 of 18

Jump to: