Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Smoking banned at bars in Itaewon/Yongsan-gu
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheUrbanMyth wrote:
There are DOZENS of expat bars in Korea? As in run and owned solely by expats? No Korean partners ("silent" or otherwise)?

The ones I know off the top of my head have Korean partners. I want to say I have heard of one that isn't but can't recall.

But I don't get it. Should have said this earlier. But why does it have to be a foreigner opening the non-smoking bars? Plenty of Koreans apparently dislike smoking if these laws are being written up.

What's to stop Mr. Kim who wants to open a hof from making it no-smoking?

What's to stop Mr. Lee from making his samgyeopsal restaurant no-smoking?

What's to stop Mr. Han from making his restaurant no-smoking because his wife is expecting?

I actually have seen the second and third cases. Amusingly, their bans were not particularly effective.

The samgyeopsal guy had old dudes smoking like chimneys despite signs all over the place and stink-eyes from foreign families with children, and eventually gave up and lifted the ban.

The guy with the pregnant wife still bans smoking when his wife is around and helping out but lets customers smoke (and smokes himself) when she's away.

I don't get what foreigners having so many hoops to opening a business in Korea has to do with places voluntarily being no-smoking. Yes SteelRails likes saying "you do it" and I know he has his libertarian streak. But it just seems like an odd tangent to take.

northway wrote:
I live in Atlanta now, where smoking is only banned in those establishments that permit minors. Interestingly, it's easier to find a non-smoking establishment than one that permits smoking. Moreover, a lot of people tend to smoke outside, even at those institutions that permit smoking. Workplace effects aside, it's probably the only place I've been where you can realistically go out and have a good night in any kind of place you choose while satisfying smokers or non-smokers.

Quoting you just so my topic shift makes more sense.

I'm perfectly fine with the ideas of cigar bars and the general trend of societies restricting smoking to some degree. Heck I'm about to quit so I would like to see more non-smoking restaurants and bars, I can't stand cigarette smoke except when I'm in a bar.

Non-smokers certainly should be able to go out on the town and not reek of smoke for it. I just think if a business wants to have a smoking theme that isn't ambiguous about it (this indoor smoking area crap is for the birds in my opinion, people will still smell smoke) then it should be possible. It's not like the owner is trying to sell illegal drugs, cigarettes are legal to purchase. Yes, it's bothersome to others so sensible bans make sense - even as a smoker I don't want to smell that crap in a park or at the bus stop or over a meal or at my work desk - just like there are mostly sensible bans on where you can drink alcohol because it alters your mental state.

That "cigar bar" classification sounds fine to me. Much better than making every bar either ban smoking completely or set up some goofy and ineffective little smoking room.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well speaking in my case, if I ever get the coin and the gumption to open up a joint, there will be a cover charge and a couple of goons to take care of any riff-raff that would complain about that kind of thing.

What's the line from "It's a Wonderful Life"?

We serve hard drinks for men who want to get drunk fast, and we don�t need any characters hanging around to give the joint atmosphere.

Pretty much it. There should be bars where its clear that the purpose is to get drunk and smoke, maybe eat some greasy food. And watch on the TV some men violently hit each other, with or without a ball. You might get in a fight. Some shady characters will be there. The bartender has a bat and a shotgun behind the bar and he ain't too choosy about which he'll pull in order to calm things down. Country music, blues, or hard rock will be on the radio. And it will be a radio or jukebox, not a computer hooked up to a sound system where everyone argues over which song to play off of youtube. And no matter what time of day it is, the inside of the bar should always look like it's 11PM. Dark, smoky, and depressing.

Go ahead and open your non-smoking, tapa serving, flirtini having, non-violent, no sports, no swearing, clean bathroom bar. I actually like some of those things and would patronize it from time to time, but please let the men have their hole in the wall to get away from morons who like to butt into other's business and tell them what to do.
schwa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ Best & funniest post in this thread yet. I'm onside.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, I would run the exact same kind of bar. Dark, smokey, surly bartender (me) always going on about �the man� or the old days or Nancy boys and telling idiots to can it. The music is permanently classic rock and only regulars with proven good taste can make requests and even then only when I'm in a good mood. Sports could be turned on but otherwise the TV is off, and don't try to sit at the bar and blabber about player stats to me because I will tell you to can it, especially if it's American football or basketball.

Obviously this would be my man cave and not a for-profit business.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zyzyfer wrote:
I would run the exact same kind of bar. Dark, smokey...

Sounds good.

What is everyone's favorite place to have a cigarette and beer after work in Itaewon? I'm on a tight fitness schedule thse days but allowing myself one day/wk for a couple cigs and a beer...but options are more limited now with the ban.
Smithington

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="KimchiNinja"]
Zyzyfer wrote:
I'm on a tight fitness schedule thse days but allowing myself one day/wk for a couple cigs and a beer...but options are more limited now with the ban.

LOL. There is no ban. Remember this is Korea. The bars have 'No Smoking' signs up now but the staff are still handing out ashtrays. Itaewon bars are as smokey as they've ever been. Confused
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Ahhh I remember the golden days when I used to have a smoke in Prost with an ice cold mug of Cass. That was enjoyable, but sadly no more. The smaller establishments are still at it, but I don't really have a favorite spot now, all too "sports bar".

Somebody smart needs to open a dark smoky bar with a belly dancer stage. Yes, belly dancers! Entrepreneurs are you listening? You can charge a lot more for the beer if there is some entertainment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18
Page 18 of 18

Jump to: