Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbies to Korea: Good Luck
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nashboroguy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Newbies to Korea: Good Luck Reply with quote

Korea was lifted up highly by my instructor for my TESOL/TEFL/TESL certification. She believes that jobs are still plentiful in Korea. Perhaps they are for a person who is female, has a couple years experience, willing to work with kinder aged kids, and under the age of 35. But, my situation seems to be a big hurdle to overcome.

I really wanted to work in Korea. I am looking to be an ESL teacher for many years to come....not just for a year or two's worth of adventure. But, at an old age of 46 with no ESL experience, I think I am up a creek without a paddle. I have applied to every potential job offer I can find online and have only had two recruiters respond back to me.

I am not being hateful or depressed from the results I have had. But, I am definitely frustrated by the results. I would love some advice and some honesty in your posts as to how to overcome these hurdles. Can I even overcome them? Should I give up on my Korean ESL dream and look to places like China instead? I would love to hear from you.

Thanks.
litebear

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tbf are there many fields where 46 year olds are regularly hired in to entry level positions? Not just an issue with TEFL...you may have had very similar issues changing career at your age no matter what you decided to get into.
Zackback

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything is pointing for me to go to China. You should too.
detonate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 recruiters does mean hopefully quite a few potential jobs! Good luck.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well age can be an issue and usually is compensated by experience in the relevant field of application and/or additional qualifications.

If you have no teaching experience as an English Teacher you are competing for entry-level jobs with younger applicants and start with a disadvantage..

Furthermore, there could be many reasons why you got so few responses, the first one being not having ALL your documents IN HAND and/or not telling recruiters or employers this. Basically, if you apply without all your documents ready you will be tossed aside in this market.

How you present yourself and what requirements you have can also impact how many responses you get. Say you ask for too much in terms of salary or are too restrictive in terms of placement, you will get tossed aside in this market.

Where you apply also has an impact, right now Public School positions are not in their main hiring season so if you asked for such a job you did yourself no favor.

Those are just possibilities...
byrddogs

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your plight, op. Come on over to China instead. It's a much more interesting place.
nautilus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago you would've had no problem but the recession changed all that.

I agree- head to China and get some exp first. If you're still set on korea a year or two from now you will stand more chance.
JustinC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The jobs market has definitely tightened up since your instructor got their information, it'll probably be easier in the future but right now the government is cutting back on public school jobs and there are more applicants from the US as it's now being pushed there in college.

China has a deficit of teachers and the scene there is still in its infancy, so less in demand by expats. The Middle East looks for older teachers as they value life experience over competence. Ignore the job ad specifications wanting (preferring) a degree in teaching or a PhD; contact recruiters and see what their minimum is.

Of course China is a lot more forgiving than the Middle East, and is a good place to gain experience (my first gig was in China). The money will be a lot less in 2nd or 3rd tier cities but you'll likely save more than in Shanghai or Beijing as the cost of living and opportunity to spend lots in western bars and restaurants is lower.
Paddycakes

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At best:

46 Years Old + Asia + ESL = Dirty Old Man Sex Tourist

At worst:

46 Years Old + Asia + ESL = Damaged Freak Case running from something back home

Sorry, you're up against a pretty big stigma... sometimes deserved, sometimes not.

Old guys in ESL in Asia get a pretty bad rap...

ESL is a game for the younglings.

Your best bet is China.
Ralphie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustinC wrote:
The Middle East looks for older teachers as they value life experience over competence. Ignore the job ad specifications wanting (preferring) a degree in teaching or a PhD; contact recruiters and see what their minimum is.

Definitely talk to recruiters about the job ad specs AND definitely do your own research regarding work visa requirements of a country you're interested in. Recruiters will paint a rosy picture in order to get you to sign on--it's how they make their money. Sometimes the job ad specs are of no importance to a particular school, but immigration will require them in order to process a legit work visa. Most countries in the Middle East require degrees in English, TESOL, or Linguistics because it is an immigration requirement.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
At best:

In Korea? How does that work?
nero

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look, Korea ain't even worth the stress. I have worked all over Asia, had a blast in Thailand (the pay is lower, but the I was able to save the same due to lower living costs and had a much better time).
Head to China, Man!!

To reiterate:
Korea ain't even worth the stress
Paddycakes

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:
At best:

In Korea? How does that work?

More pay in Korea... cheap flights to Thailand...

And a lot of older guys are famous for being "pervy" around their students...

It just comes across as more gross in the eyes of the Korean than when young NETs do it.
timhorton

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nautilus wrote:
A few years ago you would've had no problem but the recession changed all that.

I agree- head to China and get some exp first. If you're still set on korea a year or two from now you will stand more chance.

+100000000000000000000000000000000000
JustinC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ralphie wrote:
Definitely talk to recruiters about the job ad specs AND definitely do your own research regarding work visa requirements of a country you're interested in. Recruiters will paint a rosy picture in order to get you to sign on--it's how they make their money. Sometimes the job ad specs are of no importance to a particular school, but immigration will require them in order to process a legit work visa. Most countries in the Middle East require degrees in English, TESOL, or Linguistics because it is an immigration requirement.

Well I've (legally) worked in 3 different jobs - language school, university, military - in two countries in the ME and don't have a degree in any of those subjects, just a Ba and a Trinity Cert. TESOL.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: