Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Customers Called �Fat Girls� on Restaurant Bill
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fox

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewchon wrote:
Those girls have to live with 'too fat to f***' tauntings.

They have to, you say? Losing weight is out of the question?
Squire

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigs like that make me sick to my stomach
CentralCali

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I don't get is what's wrong with using those nifty little table numbers to remember the customers' table? That's why restaurants number the tables, after all.

And, if some jerk at a restaurant in Korea, or anywhere else for that matter, listed some snide comment about my appearance on my receipt and gave me that receipt, I would definitely have a talk about the situation with the restaurant manager or owner, said talk including the fact that I'd be informing everyone I know how his staff treats customers. As another poster put it already: it's not the staff's job to insult the customers.
flakfizer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
The dining experience went from bad to worse when the restaurant demanded they still pay the bill, offering them a 25 percent discount and then a 50 percent discount. They declined both offers.

That was just dumb. They should have offered free dessert.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stockton has always been a hub of high culture and class.

I wonder if those women think they're overweight (or did before this traumatic event).
yodanole

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not feeling very sympathetic for anyone in this story. The restaurant employees were wrong. Sometimes it's best to just keep your opinions to yourself in a public setting. This should be a mandatory course taken annually through both the primary and secondary educational system, along with mandatory Physical Education classes. But.....

In the US these days, fat people are so prevalent, and so fat, that it is almost unbelievable. When one walks past, you can take it for granted that communications capabilities will be down for a while. But the old maxim of "just keep your arms and legs away from the maw and you'll be fine" no longer applies. Now you have to hope and pray that you're not drawn into orbit and have to spend eternity circling an ever expanding entity armed with a Ginsu Knife and the Silverware Planetary Defense System.

Being sensitive to the self esteem of others is a noble goal, but nothing is going to hide the shock reaction of suddenly encountering something that blocks out the sun and passes before the eyes like a train crossing the road. Think back to those times that a Korean encountered you suddenly as you turned a streetcorner. Sure, they didn't run away screaming "Godjilla! Godjilla!", but that was only because they were too paralyzed to move. You have to expect that some people will react to whatever it is that you appear to be. ( If you are outside of the parameters of whatever they consider to be normal ) Either change it if you can, or learn to expect it and to live with it if you can't.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squire wrote:

As a fat man, I resent that. I currently weigh in at 375 lbs and I get booty all the time. Probably more than you do. Some ladies like big. Some men like big.

Razz
Mix1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yodanole wrote:
You have to expect that some people will react to whatever it is that you appear to be. ( If you are outside of the parameters of whatever they consider to be normal ) Either change it if you can, or learn to expect it and to live with it if you can't.

But in the case of fat/obese people, they can change their appearance...but they usually don't.

This is why they get less sympathy in cases where they try to claim discrimination. It's different from discrimination based on race or a trait someone is born with.

If it hurts their feelings...they can try to lose some weight.

(and for anyone who says they 'can't' lose the weight and it's an uncontrollable condition, just visit almost any country other than the US and notice the comparative lack of obesity. That tells you it's something to do with lifestyle, which is of course changeable.)
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yodanole wrote:
In the US these days, fat people are so prevalent, and so fat, that it is almost unbelievable. When one walks past, you can take it for granted that communications capabilities will be down for a while. But the old maxim of "just keep your arms and legs away from the maw and you'll be fine" no longer applies. Now you have to hope and pray that you're not drawn into orbit and have to spend eternity circling an ever expanding entity armed with a Ginsu Knife and the Silverware Planetary Defense System.

Brilliant.

[sarcasm] But still, what exists there is in no way correlated with Big Macs and fries because there is no quantitative evidence to support such a wild notion. [/sarcasm]
highstreet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Died By Bear wrote:
Squire wrote:

As a fat man, I resent that. I currently weigh in at 375 lbs and I get booty all the time. Probably more than you do. Some ladies like big. Some men like big.

Razz

This will probably make "Squire" even sicker. Shocked
JustinC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yodanole wrote:

Being sensitive to the self esteem of others is a noble goal, but nothing is going to hide the shock reaction of suddenly encountering something that blocks out the sun and passes before the eyes like a train crossing the road.

That was poetic man; much needed after splitting a brawl up in the last lesson. You win the internet.
northway

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
ghostrider wrote:
fosterman wrote:
wasn't there something similar about an Asian person in starbucks or something.. called them Slant eyes or something, I forget..
but yeah servers need to come up with better ways to remember their customers.. LIKE TABLE NUMBERS! DUH!

There have been a few cases like that. Some people are too sensitive. I doubt it would make the news in Korea if a western customer was called "big nose" on receipt.

In any proper Korean establishment disrespect for a customer would never happen.

Although I'm sure some Dave's people are now going to argue about how customer service in Asia is such a disgraceful atrocity... Very Happy

I'm not going to argue that, but I will argue that when you throw a qualifier like "proper" into the discussion you can make the same claim for restaurants the world over. Would any proper restaurant in the States disrespect a customer? Of course not.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

northway wrote:
KimchiNinja wrote:
ghostrider wrote:
fosterman wrote:
wasn't there something similar about an Asian person in starbucks or something.. called them Slant eyes or something, I forget..
but yeah servers need to come up with better ways to remember their customers.. LIKE TABLE NUMBERS! DUH!

There have been a few cases like that. Some people are too sensitive. I doubt it would make the news in Korea if a western customer was called "big nose" on receipt.

In any proper Korean establishment disrespect for a customer would never happen.

Although I'm sure some Dave's people are now going to argue about how customer service in Asia is such a disgraceful atrocity... Very Happy

I'm not going to argue that, but I will argue that when you throw a qualifier like "proper" into the discussion you can make the same claim for restaurants the world over. Would any proper restaurant in the States disrespect a customer? Of course not.

Fair enough, my use of the word "proper" was intended to mean NOT Itaewon. Wink
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

highstreet wrote:
Died By Bear wrote:
Squire wrote:

Razz

This will probably make "Squire" even sicker. Shocked

I love sitting next to guys like him on airplanes. Especially when I rip a wet one. They freak out. Very Happy
ricochet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm sure Jeff meant, 'phat girls.' Cool
dude just cant spell. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: