Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice needed - concerns about new hagwon job

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
jakesalva



Joined: 06 Jun 2012

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Advice needed - concerns about new hagwon job Reply with quote

I just started work at a hagwon Monday, that is part of a national chain that has a pretty awful reputation, and the contract that I signed is the worst I have ever seen. So there were already a lot of red flags about this position.

Now having observed the place for a week, and based on several stories about past events from the other foreign teachers, I'm very concerned.

[PLEASE don't give me a hard time for taking the job, I did so out of desperation not naivete - it's a long story, but i bacialy didn't feel like i had much choice at the time.]

They told me on Wed that I would be going to get my medical and Visa on Fri morn. But then they came back to me a couple of hours later and said they couldn't get an appointment for the medical until he 18th of December. Which just happens to be the last day of my 'training.'

I've always suspected that they might be using the training as a probationary period.

I had a meeting on Fri evening with the bosses and they basically told me everything was fine. I certainly didn't think I was in any sort of trouble. Then I got an email from my recruiter on Sat night saying that they were not happy, and basically I need to pull my socks up.

I feel very unsecure in my job right now, and basically what I want to know is, where do I stand with a contract, but no Visa? Because having a counter-signed contract makes me feel like I have a little bit of security, but obviously I can't work without a Visa.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
staygold



Joined: 18 Aug 2012

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be alright if I ask where you're working at the moment?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jakesalva



Joined: 06 Jun 2012

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be honest i'd rather not name the school.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CentralCali



Joined: 17 May 2007

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: Advice needed - concerns about new hagwon job Reply with quote

jakesalva wrote:
I just started work at a hagwon Monday, that is part of a national chain that has a pretty awful reputation, and the contract that I signed is the worst I have ever seen. So there were already a lot of red flags about this position.

Now having observed the place for a week, and based on several stories about past events from the other foreign teachers, I'm very concerned.

[PLEASE don't give me a hard time for taking the job, I did so out of desperation not naivete - it's a long story, but i bacialy didn't feel like i had much choice at the time.]


Wonderland or CDI? Well, it doesn't matter if you name them or not as those are the two with the reputation for doing what you describe.

Quote:
They told me on Wed that I would be going to get my medical and Visa on Fri morn. But then they came back to me a couple of hours later and said they couldn't get an appointment for the medical until he 18th of December. Which just happens to be the last day of my 'training.'


Get the reservation yourself. Call the hospital's foreigner clinic (all the approved hospitals for the medical check have a foreigner clinic) and speak to someone there yourself. Then inform the boss of the time and date of the reservation and also when you will go pick up the results yourself.

Quote:
I've always suspected that they might be using the training as a probationary period.


Of course they are. You fell for it, they rubbed their hands in glee. So, is this so-called training period (which, of course, is just you doing the regular job without any training whatsoever) at half-pay or no pay?

Quote:
I had a meeting on Fri evening with the bosses and they basically told me everything was fine. I certainly didn't think I was in any sort of trouble. Then I got an email from my recruiter on Sat night saying that they were not happy, and basically I need to pull my socks up.


The recruiter can sod off. He's not your problem. The boss is. The next time you have a sit-down with the boss, be sure to record what's discussed.

Quote:
I feel very unsecure in my job right now, and basically what I want to know is, where do I stand with a contract, but no Visa? Because having a counter-signed contract makes me feel like I have a little bit of security, but obviously I can't work without a Visa.


You have no security in your fist six months with an employer in South Korea. And, if you fell for the independent contractor malarkey, you have no security for the entire length of your employment.

If you do finagle a visa transfer/letter of release from them without being shafted on the flight (and recruiter's fees and replacement teacher costs if you fell for that too), the next contract you sign, make sure that you're not some kind of trainee.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
young_clinton



Joined: 09 Sep 2009

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jakesalva wrote:
to be honest i'd rather not name the school.


Make sure you list it after you're no longer working for the school
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nautilus



Joined: 26 Nov 2005
Location: Je jump, Tu jump, oui jump!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Advice needed - concerns about new hagwon job Reply with quote

jakesalva wrote:
I did so out of desperation not naivete - it's a long story, but i bacialy didn't feel like i had much choice at the time.


Whats the worst that could happen?

You work a couple of weeks and then they let you go without paying you or getting you a visa.

Its happened to me and probably most korean vets at some point.

But at that point you will still be free to work elsewhere.

If you're desperate, head to china. Its really not worth jobhunting in Korea unless you have several months to throw at it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EZE



Joined: 05 May 2012

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting fired from Wonderland will save you the trouble of pulling the inevitable midnight runner. Consider yourself very lucky you don't have the visa yet.

I pulled a runner from Wonderland in April, but when I came here from China in August, I contacted a recruiter that night and was hired the very next day at my current hagwon. Getting a job is very easy if you're in Korea with documents.

If you didn't bring an extra set of documents, you may want to get on that ASAP. If you don't have an extra set, that really is a big problem. But if you have an extra set, getting fired from Wonderland will be totally awesome.

I brought extra documents in addition to the ones I used to get hired in August. You'll always want to have an extra set of documents and this is especially important if you sign on to work at Wonderland.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2013 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International