Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lets settle this. Is Korean food "good for you?"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EZE

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Korean food is one of the healthiest of any nationality. There's too much fried food in the cuisine of my homeland.

toby99 wrote:
All I know is when I eat dog soup or eel my thingy gets bigger.

I wash my eel down with St. Ides for some extra thickness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcZ3Fs9758E
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Lets settle this. Is Korean food "good for you?&qu Reply with quote

sluggo832004 wrote:
My korean teachers tell me rice and soup everyday will give me stamina and strength.

I told them too much rice isnt good for you, so my teacher told me because I said that I am weak and need to get stronger to eat rice everyday. lol.

Is korean food good for you? Or just good once a week?

Why do you need to "settle" this anyway?
joelove

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ewlandon wrote:

Also just look at life expectancy and weight in asian countries compared to the west.

Not aware of big differences in life expectancy.
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I recall correctly, the Korean version of what constitutes

"healthy" is a kind of food that will stimulate male sex function.

So they may be right in saying Korean food is more "healthy", but

they probably mean something slightly different than what you are

thinking.
joelove

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some claims have roots in nationalism.
fosterman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EZE wrote:
I think Korean food is one of the healthiest of any nationality.

you don't know what you are talking about.
warmachinenkorea

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost any food on the planet is ok in moderation.

The problem with most stuff todfay is preservatives and additives. Things like gluten are tough on alot of people; partially hydrogented oils, sugar, and high fructose corn syurp are all usually cheap addivites that do no good.

High in fat means nothing. The quality of fat is what needs to be looked at. Certain veggies can't be digested properly or their nutrients can't be absorbed without a certain level of fat. Why do we eat carrots with ranch dressing or peanut butter? The fat helps your body absorb the carrots nutrients. All this "fat free" food is a chemical storm of garbage people need to stay away from. What kinda process did it take to make "fat free" mayo when the main in mayo is oil?

White rice isn't a complex carbs. The things that make it complex were stripped away in the process to make it white. Most foods that are white have little to no nutrtional value or have been processed to make them white. Is it bad for you? Depends on if they've added chemicals to it or it's a natural product. Is white rice a highly nutritional food? No. Does it supply you with an ample amount of carbs yes.

Samgyupsal, galbi, all that stuff you grill and eat with veggies is probably very good for you. It's minimmaly proccesed with littel to no preservatives or additives.

The other things like the soups and noodles have been boiled and when we boil things some nutrients get destroyed and you're usually left with macro-nutrients.(there's a whole theory about only counting macro's which is interesting)

All cultures have all kinds of food that are good and bad.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toby99 wrote:
All I know is when I eat dog soup or eel my thingy gets bigger.

+1
thrylos

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time I hear about this issue, I can't stop laughing and shaking my head in disbelief. Mediterranean food (done right) is infinitely healthier than just about anything Korea's-stuck-in-the-middle ages-cuisine can conjure up, ON THE WHOLE.

Even K-folk are starting to acknowledge that fact, with the 'olive oil' and 'Greek yoghurt' craze starting to hit the land.

So, while K-food might be healthier than northern European/NA food, it still falls way behind healthy (and tasty) Middle Eastern/north African/southern European cuisine, and without the foul burning tastes and smells.

/thread Wink
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone's favorite topic, this is going to be a long bloody thread.

I would suggest we can look around at what exists, and that tells us what works. Idea

The American environment led to the unhealthy people that exist there. The Korean environment led to the healthy people that exist here. Taking elements from the American environment and putting them into the Korean environment has led to unhealthier/fatter Koreans. A complete replacement of the Korean environment with the American environment would lead to the same results that occurred in America, given time.

Put another way, when I'm in China there is always some 350lb Amercian woman commenting how unhealthy it is for the elegant Shanghainese woman seated next to her to be eating a chunk of pork belly fat. She probably has some paperwork to intellectually prove her point too.

But results exist.
g0t soymilk?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure how fat americans come into this discussion, some of us are not here trying to start a culture war, we are just concerned because alot of the time the korean food we have been exposed to has little or no fresh vegetables, even less fruit, and heavy salt content.

here's a fun fact: south korea is #1 in the world for instant noodle consumption. nobody should be surprised by this, but I'll admit I still haven't gotten over the fact that not only can you order instant noodles at a restaurant, but that people actually order it. wtf are they thinking.
byrddogs

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g0t soymilk? wrote:
not sure how fat americans come into this discussion, some of us are not here trying to start a culture war, we are just concerned because alot of the time the korean food we have been exposed to has little or no fresh vegetables, even less fruit, and heavy salt content.

here's a fun fact: south korea is #1 in the world for instant noodle consumption. nobody should be surprised by this, but I'll admit I still haven't gotten over the fact that not only can you order instant noodles at a restaurant, but that people actually order it. wtf are they thinking.

That seems to be the nature of this site a lot of the time.

A: Koreans/Korea are/do/is _________.
B: Americans/America are/is worse.

As for the ramen noodles thing, I don't get it either. There is a Japanese chain called Ajisen Ramen all over the place here in Shanghai (think they have some outlets in Seoul as well) that is really popular and not exactly cheap.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
wtf are they thinking.

Possibly that they like this particular food and wish to eat it and hence will first need to order it as they are in a restaurant...could be wrong.
highstreet

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing people order ramen at restaurants, because they enjoy eating ramen. Shocking, I know.
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with thrylos. I personally find Korean food to be disgusting for the most part, so I never eat it, aside from the BBQ occasionally. But, on the topic of noodle food, I liked ramen as a cheap quick meal in the US. I've tried multiple kinds of Korean ramyeon, but no dice. Is there anything here that tastes like or is similar to American ramen?

Last edited by John Stamos jr. on Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: