Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lets settle this. Is Korean food "good for you?"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shabu-shabu - meat boiled in water wrapped in a sesame leaf. Add a dab of spicy paste (optional).

Cmon, show the love guys.
drydell

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bibimbap with 1 tablespoon of gochujang will put your salt intake up to about 500mg.. (about 1/4 daily recommended - no problem for a full meal)If there's dwenjang included -that would indeed put the sodium right up... just go careful with the guchujang there.. Crying or Very sad

Some of these links are all over the place with bibimbap ingredients though - one had 4 eggs in it! Shocked Many are westernized versions with tons of added nasties..
g0t soymilk?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok KimchiNinja we get it, Americans are fat, stupid, culturally ignorant, whatever stereotype you care to champion. but unfortunately we are not talking about that right now, we are talking about Korean food because most of us live in Korea and are trying to figure out if this stuff is gonna kill us.

Shabu Shabu is delicious, and its also japanese. guarantee you if we all started eating japanese food regularly we'd live a good long while...
highstreet

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

g0t soymilk? wrote:
ok KimchiNinja we get it, Americans are fat, stupid, culturally ignorant, whatever stereotype you care to champion. but unfortunately we are not talking about that right now, we are talking about Korean food because most of us live in Korea and are trying to figure out if this stuff is gonna kill us.

Shabu Shabu is delicious, and its also japanese. guarantee you if we all started eating japanese food regularly we'd live a good long while...

Korea has a high life expectancy, I don't think you should be worried that Korean food is going to kill you. If you are worried, then eat less of it and cook at home so you can control what you make.

Also, isn't shabu shabu just a variation of hot pot?
dairyairy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
Shabu-shabu - meat boiled in water wrapped in a sesame leaf. Add a dab of spicy paste (optional).

Where do you eat shabu shabu? Who wraps it in a leaf and adds that spicy paste? It's not sumgyopsal.

Most people just dip it and put it in any variety of dipping sauces.
cj1976

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming from the renowned culinary epicentre that is the UK, I am in a good position to comment on this issue. Korea needs more pies, pasties, sausage rolls and greasy spoon cafes. Also, there aren't enough frozen ready-meals for my liking.
Honestly though, any food is bad for you if you eat fat-bastard sized portions like a lot of people in the UK and the USA do. If you don't eat like food is going out of style, then neither a bit of bibimbap or a cheeseburger will hurt.
Peace Train

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drydell wrote:
Bibimbap with 1 tablespoon of gochujang will put your salt intake up to about 500mg.. (about 1/4 daily recommended - no problem for a full meal)If there's dwenjang included -that would indeed put the sodium right up... just go careful with the guchujang there.. Crying or Very sad

Some of these links are all over the place with bibimbap ingredients though - one had 4 eggs in it! Shocked Many are westernized versions with tons of added nasties..

1st, which link was inaccurate? The first I posted was a "typical" Korean bibimbap with one egg (3000g of sodium, 43g of sugar, 265mg of cholesterol). The 2nd was slightly westernized but still with one egg and "she said you couldn�t get a more authentic bibimbap" according to the article. Again, sky high levels of sodium, sugar and cholesterol.

2nd, if you are making a meal at home, why on earth would you make something slightly less unhealthy instead of making something legitimately healthy? This baffles me. In the time it takes to make bibimbap you could make an awesome stir fry using olive oil (on low heat) or virgin coconut oil with fresh vegetables and lean protein sources (or a hundred other healthy, tasty alternatives).

Originally I thought this discussion related to school lunches or being in an area with few options and bibmimbap being the lesser of 15 evils. If you are making meals at home, why in holy hell would you spend time making something thats on par with a Big Mac nutrition wise and tastes like compost?
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dairyairy wrote:
KimchiNinja wrote:

Where do you eat shabu shabu? Who wraps it in a leaf and adds that spicy paste? It's not sumgyopsal.

Most people just dip it and put it in any variety of dipping sauces.

Yes I'm constantly lectured on eating things the non-traditional way. But I cook the meat, and then put it in a leaf, no dipping because the cooking broth already has enough flavor. There's shabu all over Seoul.

To poster "got genetically modified soymilk"; I just look at results, what works works, no intellectualizing required.

Last edited by KimchiNinja on Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peace Train wrote:
drydell wrote:

1st, which link was inaccurate?

Where are all these numbers coming from anyhow? Who has a copy of that book that shows detailed nutritional info of the local food, there was a book that posters here recommended awhile back.

The bibimbop info I have is 300 calories (plus another 300 if you eat the whole silver container of rice). For the bibimop (not the rice): 120mg cholesterol, 375mg sodium. Carbs 21, fat 17, protein 21. Obviously there are many ways to make bibimbop, but who is coming up with 3000 sodium? Are we talking red paste here?
Peace Train

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
Peace Train wrote:
drydell wrote:

1st, which link was inaccurate?

Where are all these numbers coming from anyhow? Who has a copy of that book that shows detailed nutritional info of the local food, there was a book that posters here recommended awhile back.

The bibimbop info I have is 300 calories (plus another 300 if you eat the whole silver container of rice). For the bibimop (not the rice): 120mg cholesterol, 375mg sodium. Carbs 21, fat 17, protein 21. Obviously there are many ways to make bibimbop, but who is coming up with 3000 sodium? Are we talking red paste here?

Labs, bud. Lemme guess, your numbers come from oh so reliable Korean sources. Thought so. You even have a source or just pulling this out of your bibimbap damaged, polyp riddled ass?

Keep stuffing your face with that toxic compost. I'll give you a heart felt "told ya so" in the inevitable "RIP kimchininja" thread.
Seoulman69

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Korea has a high life expectancy

No it doesn't. The life expectancy in the UK, Ireland, New Zealand, Canada, and Australia are all longer. Even the obese Americans only live one year less. Who told you Korea has a high life expectancy?
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peace Train wrote:
Labs, bud. Lemme guess, your numbers come from oh so reliable Korean sources. Thought so. You even have a source or just pulling this out of your bibimbap damaged, polyp riddled ass?

Keep stuffing your face with that toxic compost. I'll give you a heart felt "told ya so" in the inevitable "RIP kimchininja" thread.

1) Doesn't make sense, also 2) calm down with the hate for random strangers, that will give you the heart attack.

* 634 calories including the rice / 376mg sodium: http://www.fatsecret.com/Diary.aspx?pa=fjrd&rid=195

* 586 calories / 2900mg sodium:
http://tracker.dailyburn.com/nutrition/bibimbap_with_chicken_calories

* 937 calories dol sot / 1582mg sodium
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/dol-sot-bi-bim-bap/

* 560 calories / 564mg sodium
http://www.sparkpeople.com/calories-in.asp?food=bibimbap

So people are coming up wildly different numbers on sodium which could be egg or red paste or what? Remove egg and red paste if you are concerned about sodium.

What fascinates me is this Western (American) obsession with numbers instead of common sense. You have a bowl of raw vegetables and some rice for crying out loud! And somehow there's a guy who gets a fixation with a single number, sodium and concludes the whole dish is "compost" LOL. Everything is high in something. The Japanese diet is high in sodium, they are doing okay.

Again, doesn't make sense.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seoulman69 wrote:
Quote:

Korea has a high life expectancy

No it doesn't. The life expectancy in the UK, Ireland, New Zealand, Canada, and Australia are all longer. Even the obese Americans only live one year less. Who told you Korea has a high life expectancy?

We already discussed this on another thread. The old people who are dying (people have to die in order to calculate this number) are the ones who fought wars and had a harder life.
Seoulman69

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We already discussed this on another thread. The old people who are dying (people have to die in order to calculate this number) are the ones who fought wars and had a harder life.

Laughing
Which war was that? The Korean war? Or WW2? Most of the old people in our home countries fought in both these wars. I would think the Koreans should live longer considering they only fought in one.

If you're going to troll at least put some thought into it.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we having fun yet? While I know this is only going to piss off further the already pissed off...these Dave's dramas are just too fascinating and I love to interview rational people in day to day life and see what they say.

Saturday lunchtime:
Me: "Someone told me a big mac is healthier than bibimbop" [straight face]
Korean friend: [moment of utter astonishment, then almost spits kimchi chigae all over table laughing]
Me: "What's so funny, maybe it is?" [straight man act again]
Korean friend: "There are things that can not be responded to, because they are insane. Americans see in 2D, they can't back up and see in 3D like normal people".

So true, and such an interesting way to put it.

Okay now I'm going to go get lunch (Korean food include WHITE RICE, the horror!). I may live dangerously tonight and have soondooboo with the whole shrimp (shell and all) for dinner.

Peace.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: