Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Never seen a K-Drama Where do I start.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flash viego

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Never seen a K-Drama Where do I start. Reply with quote

Not that I'm a soap opera person or anything, but there have been so many references to K-Dramas here, and it seems like a big part of the culture.

I'm curious, and would like to watch one or 2.

If you had to recommend 2 K-Dramas, Series, or even episodes, which one's would they be? I think I can find them once I have some names.
andrewchon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start with the most famous one: Winter Sonata. This one made the male protagonist a sex-symbol in Japan. Made Chinese women romanticising about Korea. After all these years, it still is the standard bearer of Hallyu.

Last edited by andrewchon on Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
almosthome

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lie to Me is a fun K-dramedy; that would be my recommendation for a first-timer.

Although Winter Sonata is famous (and was shot in beautiful locations), it is wicked sad and serious. In fact, after the huge blow in episode 3(?) I asked myself, "Why the $*%$ do Koreans willingly subject themselves to this?" and stopped watching completely. A few months later I decided to give it another go. It does get better, but you can fast forward through a lot of the second half's slow melodrama. If you want something similar but less depressing, try Spring Waltz.
flash viego

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. I'm going to check them both out. I guess if there were one's that give you a sense of real life in Korea, that would be really cool as well.

I'm guessing subtitles are on all these.
Norn Iron

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flash viego wrote:
Cool. I'm going to check them both out. I guess if there were one's that give you a sense of real life in Korea, that would be really cool as well.

I'm guessing subtitles are on all these.

I don't think reflecting real life is the concern of K-Drama......to not face real life is why people watch them.
andrewchon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they both are posted with sub-titles.
comm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norn Iron wrote:
I don't think reflecting real life is the concern of K-Drama......to not face real life is why people watch them.

True... but for a drama to be successful, the audience has to relate to the characters. So the way that characters react to events in K-Dramas can help you to understand how Koreans think.
Jyang486

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite dramas from the last two years is Gentleman's Dignity and All My Love. While GD is funny, it's not completely a comedy like All My Love. Both were really good. When I downloaded these two dramas, the subbing was terrible so I watched without subs. Lucky for me I understood most of it, and when I didn't I wrote it down and I asked my Korean friends.

But my two favorite of all time were All In and Happy Together, if you can find some place to watch them with a good set of subs, you won't be disappointed.
almosthome

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you watch through DramaFever or Netflix the subtitles are usually good. (Hulu streams content from DramaFever, too.)
nicwr2002

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: ok Reply with quote

I would start with Chuno (Slave Hunters). It's a very good period drama and you can find it on Hulu I think if you have a proxy service or crunchyroll.
overdrive2023x

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. IRIS
2. A Gentleman's Dignity

A Gentleman's dignity is hailed as a Korean "Sex & the City" for guys. Very new. Shows current Korean styles. And pretty good story. 4 Guys that have been best friends since High school, now each 40, and trying to lock down a woman in their life.

IRIS, was just badass. At that time, the most expensive Korean drama ever filmed with the superstars Lee Byung Hun and Kim Tae Hee. It's a spy espionage drama. Really effing good.
spaceman82

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

overdrive2023x wrote:
1. IRIS
2. A Gentleman's Dignity

A Gentleman's dignity is hailed as a Korean "Sex & the City" for guys. Very new. Shows current Korean styles. And pretty good story. 4 Guys that have been best friends since High school, now each 40, and trying to lock down a woman in their life.

IRIS, was just badass. At that time, the most expensive Korean drama ever filmed with the superstars Lee Byung Hun and Kim Tae Hee. It's a spy espionage drama. Really effing good.

I may have to check A Gentleman's Dignity out. I liked Iris but got into after they stopped showing it on TV much and could never find it on at the right times. Any options other than downloading for keeping up with this kind of stuff? DVDs at Yongsan or anything like that?
cdninkorea

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an American review of Dae Jang Geum:
http://www.theobjectivestandard.com/issues/2010-summer/dae-jang-geum.asp (my wife also said it was good).

If you want a stereotypically sappy Korean drama that will make your groan and roll your eyes, check out Cheongdam Alice. That show is the king (queen?) of cheese.
Norn Iron

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

comm wrote:
Norn Iron wrote:

True... but for a drama to be successful, the audience has to relate to the characters. So the way that characters react to events in K-Dramas can help you to understand how Koreans think.

Yes, I'd say that's essentially true, but the characters tend to be exaggerated stereotypes of Korean 'archetypes', not realistic characters.

The archetypes and storyline that has been popular for many years now is the 'Cinderella' story. A good honest girl with integrity falls in love with rich elite young man. She teaches him humility and tenderness. After predictable trials and tribulations true love wins out and the live happily ever after.
wishfullthinkng

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

while i only watched the very beginning i found iris to be entertaining. it was nice to see one that was filmed outside of an idyllic multi-million dollar korean house out in the "country" or in a smokey sool jip/club/hostess room. they filmed a good portion of it in budapest which is (in my opinion) one of the most beautiful cities in the world.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: