Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Galaxy S3
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phatrick

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Galaxy S3 Reply with quote

So I pre-ordered one this past weekend from KT. I have been an iPhone user for a long time but I have been feeling tired and bored with iOS. I just hope I like Android!
Italy37612

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pre-ordered my pebble blue LTE Galaxy S III from SK on Tuesday. I'm definitely excited for the upgrade. I have the Galaxy S right now. I hope it doesn't take too long to arrive. The store clerk didn't seem to have any idea of when it would arrive.

Did your store give you an ETA on your order?
nick70100

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Italy37612 wrote:
Pre-ordered my pebble blue LTE Galaxy S III from SK on Tuesday. I'm definitely excited for the upgrade. I have the Galaxy S right now. I hope it doesn't take too long to arrive. The store clerk didn't seem to have any idea of when it would arrive.

Did your store give you an ETA on your order?

The 3G model will be available one week from today (June 27). The LTE model is supposed to be coming in mid-July, but an exact date still hasn't been set.
denverdeath

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

recently changed to a galaxy note, so sorry that it's a bit off-topic. if nothing else, u'll likely enjoy not being tied to crappleTunes.
phatrick

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered a white one, I had thought about pebble blue but I like white and never owned a white phone. Not enjoying the wait, wish the LTE's were coming out next week alongside the 3g model!

I will enjoy being rid of itunes!!!
Yaya

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is wrong with iTunes? And what is the Android equivalent to iTunes?
denverdeath

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaya wrote:
What is wrong with iTunes? And what is the Android equivalent to iTunes?

honestly? synching is the main problem with itunes. that, as well as all the other crap that comes with having to install it(think there are at least 5 programs that end up being installed). also, the authorize/deauthorize computer garbage. i could list a few more things, but u might get more bored than u probably already are.

equivalent for android? nothing. you drop music into a music folder u create urself. when u plug ur phone into ur computer, there is no necessity to log into anything or sync anything u've downloaded. that's what i like and prefer.
tirinal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any particularly special place to preorder the LTE version from, or is it pretty much a wash wherever you go?
phatrick

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up getting a 3g when they came out. I didn't want the phone bill to increase and I dropped my ip4 smashed the front screen so the timing was good to just get the 3g version. It's a beautiful and wonderful phone. Makes my ip4 seem like a dinosaur!
tirinal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my G3 LTE today. Anyone confirm that the rooting process is the same as for the international version?
phatrick

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it is not. If it is a SKT phone there are directions on XDA (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=28230420#post28230420).
cj1976

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still gamely rocking the original Galaxy S1, but I am in the market for an upgrade. Is the S3 much better than the S2? The S2 will probably be available quite cheaply now, I would imagine so I was thinking about buying a handset outright, without having to sign a new contract.
cj1976

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m.tech2.com/opinions/smartphones/quadcore-smartphones-do-we-really-need-them/282512
nick70100

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I upgraded from the Galaxy S to the S3 on Monday. It's amazing how fast and smooth it is. It makes the original Galaxy S feel like a dinosaur in comparison, and it's only 2 years old.

cj1976 wrote:
m.tech2.com/opinions/smartphones/quadcore-smartphones-do-we-really-need-them/282512

the article wrote:
I am, personally very happy with my Galaxy S. Everything that I ever need or use on a daily basis runs absolutely smooth and with strong support from the modding community, I need not rely on Samsung to bring ICS officially (which they aren�t). The only time I wished I had an extra core is when using GTalk, music and a browser at the same time, which is when the phone starts to struggle a bit. That and the fact that I can�t play GTA III, really annoys me. But other than these two things, I have never felt the need or the urge to buy a faster phone.

In other words, the Galaxy S works perfectly fine... except for these things that it can't do very well. Listening to music, browsing the web, using kakao talk or email all at the same time... I do that on a daily basis on the way to and from work, or at least I tried with the Galaxy S but it often resulted in music skipping, apps lagging or taking forever to load, etc. The Galaxy S3 can handle it and a lot more with never even a hint of slowdown. That whole article reminds me of the famous Bill Gates quote that 640 KB of RAM is more than anyone would ever need. What seems like overkill now is commonplace next year, and obsolete the year after that. I got the Galaxy S two years ago when it was brand new, and at that time it was the best phone on the market, but look at it now... struggles to run the latest apps/games, too slow, doesn't have enough ram for multitasking, etc.

The other point the article makes is battery life, but fails to mention that battery technology is also increasing, and newer phones have higher capacity batteries. For example, the S3 battery has 40% higher capacity than the S1. I've only had the S3 for a couple of days now, but so far battery life seems fine. I've been able to make it through the day with moderately heavy use without recharging. There's also a spare battery which can be easily swapped in if needed.

cj1976 wrote:
I'm still gamely rocking the original Galaxy S1, but I am in the market for an upgrade. Is the S3 much better than the S2? The S2 will probably be available quite cheaply now, I would imagine so I was thinking about buying a handset outright, without having to sign a new contract.

Good question. If price is a concern then maybe the S2 is a decent option. I've never used an S2 though, so I can't really comment from personal experience. On paper the S3 obviously has better specs (bigger screen, better camera, quad core CPU, more RAM, etc), but it's hard to tell exactly how that translates into day to day use and whether or not the price is justified. I'm sure you can find some comparisons online, or if you go to a shop they'll let you try them both so you can compare them yourself.
cj1976

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. I went to an SK store and found some info. Is it really not possible to have 3G on an S2? I would quite happily settle for that, but apparently, S2 is LTE only and the data is more expensive. I might end up getting a S3 3G model, because the LTE seems a bit superfluous.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: