Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OTC allergy meds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AbbeFaria

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: OTC allergy meds Reply with quote

My girlfriend has 4 cats and whenever we spend a significant amount of time together, even if we don't go back to her place, I end up with a mild rash on my arms and chest which takes 3-5 days to fully dissipate. Does anyone know of some good OTC allergy meds I can get at a Korean pharmacy that might alleviate this? Do they have benadryll here or something similar?
newb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really sure if they do, but one would assume they do.

Just write the word "benadryll" and mention "알레르기" to the pharmacist or chemist.
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korean pharmacists mostly have knockoffs of Western over the counter meds, so your best bet is to know the name of the active ingredient in the drug you're looking for and ask for that. Have it written down, because if the pharmacist doesn't speak much English, they may only understand a very Konglishized pronunciation. North American Benadryl's active ingredient is diphenhydramine so if you're from the US or Canada that's what you're looking for, but the versions marketed in many other countries apparently have different active ingredients (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benadryl).
AbbeFaria

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son Deureo! wrote:
Korean pharmacists mostly have knockoffs of Western over the counter meds, so your best bet is to know the name of the active ingredient in the drug you're looking for and ask for that. Have it written down, because if the pharmacist doesn't speak much English, they may only understand a very Konglishized pronunciation. North American Benadryl's active ingredient is diphenhydramine so if you're from the US or Canada that's what you're looking for, but the versions marketed in many other countries apparently have different active ingredients (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benadryl).

Do you think if I just said "고양이 알레르기 어덯게?" that they would get the picture?
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AbbeFaria wrote:
Son Deureo! wrote:

Do you think if I just said "고양이 알레르기 어덯게?" that they would get the picture?

Try 고양이 알레르기약 필요합니다 (I need cat allergy medicine), but if there's a specific allergy med you're looking for, I still recommend asking for it by the name of its active ingredient.
12ax7

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to keep it as simple as possible, just say "Cetrizine" or "allergy". If the pharmacist presents you with box of 10 tablets for 4500won or more, and only that box, ask "다른" (tarun) (not the most elegant Korean, but I'm trying to make it easy for you). Yes, they have the generic brands, 2000-2500 won for the same amount. Pharmacists here can be sneaky like that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: