Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transgenders in sports...is it fair (or foul) play?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Zackback



Joined: 05 Nov 2010
Location: Kyungbuk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Transgenders in sports...is it fair (or foul) play? Reply with quote

I mean ya know get real. This guy thinks he's a woman and now plays for the women's team. I guess he (she?) showers with them and stuff afterwards. It just seems strange like ya know freaky. Now don't get me wrong there were times in the past that I feigned like I was confused and just walked into the ladies room but this goes way beyond something like that.
--------------------------------


http://www.suntimes.com/sports/colleges/17011957-419/transgender-player-attains-college-basketball-first.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
12ax7



Joined: 07 Nov 2009

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too young to know about this world famous athlete and coach?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ren%C3%A9e_Richards


Last edited by 12ax7 on Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zackback



Joined: 05 Nov 2010
Location: Kyungbuk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up in the 70's and 80's but never heard about it.
To me it's all a freak show anyway.
In fact, since these loud mouthed American feminists are always screaming about "equality" then why do even women's sports exist?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
12ax7



Joined: 07 Nov 2009

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zackback wrote:
I grew up in the 70's and 80's but never heard about it.
To me it's all a freak show anyway.
In fact, since these loud mouthed American feminists are always screaming about "equality" then why do even women's sports exist?


I don't get your argument. Besides, if sex reassignment surgery gave people an edge in sports, there would be an awful lot more former men competing at the highest level of women's sports, don't you think?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
madoka



Joined: 27 Mar 2008

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Transgenders in sports...is it fair (or foul) play? Reply with quote

Zackback wrote:
It just seems strange like ya know freaky. Now don't get me wrong there were times in the past that I feigned like I was confused and just walked into the ladies room but this goes way beyond something like that.


Laughing

You need to put this in the share three true things about yourself thread. Or maybe in the freakiest waygook one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Captain Corea



Joined: 28 Feb 2005
Location: Seoul

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12ax7 wrote:
Zackback wrote:
I grew up in the 70's and 80's but never heard about it.
To me it's all a freak show anyway.
In fact, since these loud mouthed American feminists are always screaming about "equality" then why do even women's sports exist?


I don't get your argument. Besides, if sex reassignment surgery gave people an edge in sports, there would be an awful lot more former men competing at the highest level of women's sports, don't you think?


I a way, isn't that what doping is largely about? Basically, 'effing what what your body produces naturally with hormones.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fermentation



Joined: 22 Jun 2009

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know about sports, but it's unfair how good looking some of these trannies are. Some of them are more feminine than real women.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Drew10



Joined: 31 Mar 2009

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm honestly more concerned that "she" is 50 years old and playing for a college team.

Sounds like someone is having a pretty intense mid-life crisis.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
12ax7



Joined: 07 Nov 2009

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
12ax7 wrote:
Zackback wrote:
I grew up in the 70's and 80's but never heard about it.
To me it's all a freak show anyway.
In fact, since these loud mouthed American feminists are always screaming about "equality" then why do even women's sports exist?


I don't get your argument. Besides, if sex reassignment surgery gave people an edge in sports, there would be an awful lot more former men competing at the highest level of women's sports, don't you think?


I a way, isn't that what doping is largely about? Basically, 'effing what what your body produces naturally with hormones.


Yeah, but male to female transgenders are taking female hormones and, well, the organs that produce testosterone are gone.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
young_clinton



Joined: 09 Sep 2009

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A person who is male, even if taking hormones suppressing testosterone, has years of masculine development in thinking and in physique due to his previous years of masculine levels of exposure to testosterone. For this reason it is simply not justifiable to allow a male who is a transgender female to play on a female athletic team.

Now as far as allowing a female to play on a male team, if the female is good enough, I don't see anything wrong with that. Male sports are higher performance than female sports and if there is a female that can compete in the higher performance arena, then I see that as OK. This is as long as there has been no outside source of drugs given to the female that would increase her athletic ability (unfortunately a requirement sometimes ignored by even male athletes playing in male sports).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Quack Addict



Joined: 31 Mar 2008
Location: Seoul

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude is 6'6" playing against 5 feet something kids. It's like Billy Madison where he goes back to elementary school and starts blasting kids on the playground in dodgeball.

I'm not going to get into the LBGT debate but the fact is this guy played college sports as a man. How is it he can become a woman and then get more years of eligibility? That is one intense desire to chase one's dream of college sports glory?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
catman



Joined: 18 Jul 2004

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy the way Glen Miller played
Songs that made the hit parade.
Guys like us we had it made,
Those were the days.

And you knew who you were then,
Girls were girls and men were men,
Mister we could use a man
Like Herbert Hoover again.

Didn't need no welfare state,
Everybody pulled his weight.
Gee our old LaSalle ran great.
Those were the days.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
12ax7



Joined: 07 Nov 2009

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

young_clinton wrote:
A person who is male, even if taking hormones suppressing testosterone, has years of masculine development in thinking and in physique due to his previous years of masculine levels of exposure to testosterone. For this reason it is simply not justifiable to allow a male who is a transgender female to play on a female athletic team.


Explain why it isn't more common, then.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KimchiNinja



Joined: 01 May 2012
Location: Gangnam

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need more threads like this...these are the questions that need asking!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zackback



Joined: 05 Nov 2010
Location: Kyungbuk

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I am a member of Dave's. Think of how boring it would be around here without me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2013 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International