Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The lottery of life- Where to be born in 2013!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saram_

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: The lottery of life- Where to be born in 2013! Reply with quote

From The Economist. They are bound to know right ?

Warren Buffet has often said that anything he has been successful with has basically happened because of been born at the right time and in the right place!
1930s America in his case.

Anyway, back in 1988-
A quarter of a century ago, "The World in 1988" light-heartedly ranked 50 countries according to where would be the best place to be born in 1988- America came top.

25 years later- "The Economist" has made out a new list. One they think should be taken a little more seriously! They have their own criteria - quality of life, crime level etc..
So which country will be the best for a baby born in 2013?

http://www.economist.com/news/21566430-where-be-born-2013-lottery-life?fsrc=scn/tw/te/pe/lotteryoflife

The USA isn't top of this one. It's dropped down quite a bit- to 16th.
Look at how low down the UK is though- 27th!!
South Korea comes in at rank 19..

Switzerland leads the way, followed by Australia then Norway!
About right?
jvalmer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say countries like China, Vietnam, Thailand and Malaysia should be ranked higher. I figure in 25 years at least one of those countries will be like Korea now.
fosterman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Australia? guess the guy who wrote that has never lived there!
Australia was good back in the 80's and 90's not now.
Australia is ruined! way to expensive now, to many immigrants, to much hate crime, drugs, etc..
that list is just stupid!

Mexico a head of so many other countries?
Russia near the bottom? UAE? yeah if you are born male!
northway

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's Singapore or bust for me.
No_hite_pls

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These things are always so subjective.
12ax7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvalmer wrote:
I would say countries like China, Vietnam, Thailand and Malaysia should be ranked higher. I figure in 25 years at least one of those countries will be like Korea now.

I doubt it. I've been in Korea for nearly 20 years. None of those countries are near what Korea was back then in terms of distribution of wealth and infrastructure.
cheezsteakwit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fosterman wrote:
Australia is ruined! way to expensive now, to many immigrants, to much hate crime, drugs, etc..
that list is just stupid!

Mexico a head of so many other countries?
Russia near the bottom? UAE? yeah if you are born male!

I haven't read the article yet, but the first area that popped into my head when reading the title was the Nordic area (Norway, Sweden, Finland) , so not surprised Norway was a top 3 choice.

Mainly, the quality of life - cradle to grave social welfare type programs & beautiful women are the 'selling points' for that area , in my mind, BUT ..... too damn cold !! - No thanks

Came across the link below on reddit, re: Australia - G'Day!

http://i.imgur.com/JkogZ.png

Haven't been down there yet, but it's on the short list.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

northway wrote:

^ I'm with this guy. Cool

The Economist's lists seems okay. Switzerland, Finland, Singapore, HongKong, Canada, agree. But what is Australia doing up there, typo? AU should be down next to the US. And what is China doing down there? If you're smart and know how to work you can make a great life in Shanghai, opportunity everywhere.

Personally I think this is the century of Asia. Their list seems more "where to be that's good right now" rather than the more useful and interesting question "where to get established now, because that�s where the action is tomorrow".
northway

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KimchiNinja wrote:
northway wrote:

^ I'm with this guy. Cool

The Economist's lists seems okay. Switzerland, Finland, Singapore, HongKong, Canada, agree. But what is Australia doing up there, typo? AU should be down next to the US. And what is China doing down there? If you're smart and know how to work you can make a great life in Shanghai, opportunity everywhere.

Personally I think this is the century of Asia. Their list seems more "where to be that's good right now" rather than the more useful and interesting question "where to get established now, because that�s where the action is tomorrow".

It's pretty simple: find a country with a demographic bulge and a maturing political culture and go there.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fosterman wrote:

Ummm... WTF?
LuckyNomad

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The US should be close to the top. Don't get me wrong. The US has tons of problems but I'd take it over growing up in any place in Asia.
If you are born in China, Korea, Japan, India or any of those places, and you are lucky or rich, you will end up going to live in the US anyway for your childhood and university.
Where is the President of China's daughter right now? Boston.

Born in China? Ha ha. I hope you are a male, cause if not you'll probably end up in a trash can alive or as an aborted fetus, or end up being adopted by a couple in a western country.
Growing up in China will all the pollution and rote learning education system which is basically the same thing as Korea's. And then try to get into a US university. Hopefully once you've finished college and gotten a job in a factory which are slowly leaving for Vietnam, Bangladesh, and Indonesia, you will be ready to support your two parents, your wife's 2 parents and perhaps your 8 grandparents and 1 child.
And as you get a bit older you discover that China has aged just as fast as the already developed countries without becoming a developed country itself.
Yagremohbhg

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvalmer wrote:

Yah, because Totalitarian governments are so great!
jvalmer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yagremohbhg wrote:
jvalmer wrote:

Yah, because Totalitarian governments are so great!

Don't be surprised if they do develop beyond all expectation. Essentially all the top economies in Asia have been run by non-democratic governments for the initial few decades of their development. And Japan run by one party for like 58 of the last 60 years.

Democracy is probably one of the biggest hindrances in trying to develop a basket-case country, which all of Asia (with the exception of Japan) was a couple of generations ago.
sallymonster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're born into a rich family in a first world country, your life will be whatever you make of it.

If you're born into a poor family, you'll be less screwed if you're born into a democratic, first world country as opposed to a third world country.

Your nationality matters, but let's face it, what matters even more is the amount of money you're born into. More money = more opportunity for less work.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitely want to be born somewhere in South Asia, Southeast Asia or Subsaharan Africa. Also how about China? Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: