Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korean awesomeness

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moondoggy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Korean awesomeness Reply with quote

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/list-and-rankings/south-korea-the-big-winner-of-2012/

�It�s impressive what all those brands have done,�
metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: Korean awesomeness Reply with quote

Moondoggy wrote:
http://www.canadianbusiness.com/list-and-rankings/south-korea-the-big-winner-of-2012/

�It�s impressive what all those brands have done,�

Not a bad article. Mostly because I prefer Samsung smart phones over iPhones. Never had problems with Hyundais either, the service back home for them was really good.
Lazio

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But by the start of 2012, its GDP was ranked 15th in the world, bigger than countries like Holland and Sweden.

Really? Sweden�s population is one fifth and Holland�s is one third of Korea�s.
I�m not trying to be negative about Korea but comparing GDP to other countries with a fraction of Korea�s population is not at all objective.
Being the 15th strongest economy in the world is impressive but it�s mostly due to the nearly 50 million people producing that GDP. There are not many OECD countries with population over 50 million.
On the more objective GDP/capita list Korea ranks 40th.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, where do Holland and Sweden stand on that other list vs the OECD list?

On a GDP nominal list Korea ranks 15th

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)

There are countries with larger populations above it in the rankings and below it.

Canada is 11th here and has a smaller population than Korea. Australia is also ranked higher than Korea in economic terms but has half the population.

I am curious as to what distinction you are making here. Thanks for any clarification.

Cheers
Moondoggy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lazio wrote:
Quote:
But by the start of 2012, its GDP was ranked 15th in the world, bigger than countries like Holland and Sweden.

Really? Sweden�s population is one fifth and Holland�s is one third of Korea�s.
I�m not trying to be negative about Korea but comparing GDP to other countries with a fraction of Korea�s population is not at all objective.
Being the 15th strongest economy in the world is impressive but it�s mostly due to the nearly 50 million people producing that GDP. There are not many OECD countries with population over 50 million.
On the more objective GDP/capita list Korea ranks 40th.

YOU ACTUALLY ARE trying to be negative about Korea. Shame on you.

High GDP (or GDP per capita) does not necessarily mean "economic prosperity" of the country. In fact GDP and PCI (per capita income) are two completely different terms. Do not get confused.
In 2011, GDP per capita in the US was $48300 but PCI was $26700.
The basic formula for calculating the GDP is:
Y = C + I + E + G
where, Y = GDP, C = Consumer Spending, I = Investment made by industry, E = Excess of Exports over Imports, G = Government Spending

Personal consumption accounts for 70 percent of America's gross domestic product while the Korean economy is largely based on exports and industrial investments.

This is another Korean awesomeness, and I hope to go back to Berkeley in the near future to join this amazing Professor Lee's research team as a grad student.

http://newscenter.lbl.gov/news-releases/2012/05/13/electricity-from-viruses/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=F1PzYi8jmuo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: