Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Robert Bork is dead

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
On the other hand

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Robert Bork is dead Reply with quote

Quote:
Former federal judge and conservative legal scholar Robert Bork died early Wednesday at his Virginia home, his family confirmed to CNN. He was 85.

Perhaps best known for his nomination to the Supreme Court by President Ronald Reagan in 1987, Bork was rejected for the post after a contentious confirmation battle led by left-leaning groups that opposed his conservative judicial philosophies.

Bork had recently served as a senior legal adviser to Republican Mitt Romney's presidential campaign. He was a solicitor general during the Nixon administration and first gained notoriety for carrying out the president's order to fire the special prosecutor investigating the Watergate scandal in 1973, an episode known as the Saturday Night Massacre.

But it was the Senate's rejection of his high court nomination that earned the conservative Bork a political legacy -- symbolic of the contentious, partisan nature of congressional confirmations.

I always thought the title of his culture-war screed "Slouching Towards Gomorrah" was pretty dumb, since Yeats' line about the rough beast "slouch[ing] towards Bethlehem" was meant to be ironic in the first place, ie. it indicated regression toward something bad. So Bork was kind of explaining the punch line there.

It goes without saying, for me anyway, that it's a good thing he wasn't confirmed. His failure to ascend to the top-court was possibly the first indication of the limitations that social-conservatives would face in selling their agenda to the public.

link
Zackback

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That guy was awesome and would have made a great Supreme Court Justice.
RIP
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember driving over to Greeley to see my friend Suzie late on a Saturday afternoon. We smoked some weed I had and then she and I went outside on a mid-October evening. She trimmed the split ends and was teaching me how to braid my hair when the announcer on the radio broke in with the report of the Saturday Night Massacre.

Given that Truman and LBJ had died sort of recently, Suzie and I were very concerned that when a Republican was president and all surviving Democratic presidents died close in time, it is probably a good idea to batten down the hatches and prepare for a coup d'etat by the incumbent Republican president. Very Happy

Hard as it is to believe, Reagan was not the first vile Republican president we have had in recent times.
FMPJ

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best obit ever:
http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2012/12/postscript-robert-bork-1927-2012.html

Quote:
Robert Bork, who died Wednesday, was an unrepentant reactionary who was on the wrong side of every major legal controversy of the twentieth century. The fifty-eight senators who voted against Bork for confirmation to the Supreme Court in 1987 honored themselves, and the Constitution. In the subsequent quarter-century, Bork devoted himself to proving that his critics were right about him all along.

Read more: http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2012/12/postscript-robert-bork-1927-2012.html#ixzz2FqZC8gkv
Kuros

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bork wrote:
I don't think that in the field of constitutional law, precedent is all that important

Its shocking he got 42 votes.
Unibrow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: