Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

$65 million for marrying this woman

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madoka

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: $65 million for marrying this woman Reply with quote

Hong Kong property and shipping magnate Cecil Chao Sze-tsung announced he would offer HK$500 million (about $65 million) to the man who can woo and marry his 33-year-old daughter, Gigi Chao, the South China Morning Post reported.

"It is an inducement to attract someone who has the talent but not the capital to start his own business," Chao told the BBC.

"I don't mind whether he is rich or poor. The important thing is that he is generous and kind-hearted," he added. "Gigi is a very good woman with both talents and looks. She is devoted to her parents, is generous and does volunteer work."

According to the Post report, the announcement came just one week after Chao's daughter revealed she had married her female partner of seven years, Sean Eav, in France earlier this year.

The tycoon, 76, told the Post the reports of his daughter being married were "false." According to the article, same-sex marriage is not legally recognized in Hong Kong, although civil unions are performed in France.

Chao, whom the Post describes as "Hong Kong's pre-eminent playboy tycoon," told the BBC that Gigi Chao was single and needed a "good husband." Chao has never married himself, and he once claimed to have slept with 10,000 women, the South China Morning Post reported.

According to the BBC, Chao said he wouldn't force Gigi to marry a man against her will.

-------------------------------

She's actually pretty attractive:

http://www.ksee24.com/news/local/Hong-Kong-Tycoon-Offers-65-Million-To-Find-Husband-for-Lesbian-Daughter-171418441.html
Otherside

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell, for US$65m I'd marry both her and her French partner!
Kuros

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So $65 million is how much intolerance can cost.
Gorf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's just angry because his daughter married Yoko Ono
madoka

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Otherside wrote:
Hell, for US$65m I'd marry both her and her French partner!

My money's on Zackback. I believe his manboobs will give him a serious advantage.
hari seldon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's your competition:
http://www.whatsonningbo.com/news_images/3ba77eca746ca559_Gigi_Chao.jpg
nero

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorf wrote:
He's just angry because his daughter married Yoko Ono

Lol! I thought the same thing!

I hope they have a happy life and her father can accept her.

(though I doubt he will.)
12ax7

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I saw them both in interview, and based on what they had to say, I get the impression the father is okay with the thought that his daughter might be gay. He's a crafty old man, I wouldn't take his words at face value. I think this is probably a publicity stunt and a means to get a discussion started on the issue of same-sex marriage in Hong Kong.
madoka

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$65 million seems like quite a rip-off now that the bar has been raised:

http://shine.yahoo.com/work-money/150-million-dowry-chinese-businessman-8217-daughter-183400982.html

Bringing new meaning to the phrase 'happy couple,' Chinese businessman Wu Duanbiao gave his daughter and her husband a dowry worth nearly $150 million in celebration of their wedding on Sunday, according to the South China Morning Post.

Wu, who is the chairman of the ceramics firm Fujian Wanli Group, gave his daughter and her new husband four boxes of gold jewelry, millions of dollars deposited into their bank account, donations to local charities in their names, shares in the ceramics firm, two cars, and "an impressive property portfolio." A spokesman for Wu's firm confirmed the dowry.

The groom's finances have vastly improved since his marriage on Sunday. He only makes about $24,000 a year, and "gets his bread from the government," according to the Daily Mail. The bride and groom have known each other since they were in kindergarten.

Reports of the Wu dowry and photographs of the bounty were published by the South China Morning Post on Monday. The story follows a report by Chinese newspaper the Apple Daily claiming that marrying a daughter from this province in China is "better than robbing a bank."
young_clinton

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's Gigi's email address?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: