Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Staving off signs of aging
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdninkorea

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Staving off signs of aging Reply with quote

For a long time after many friends and co-workers who are the same age as I am (and sometimes even younger) were showing signs of aging in the face, I was not. I've just turned 30 though, and it seems like I've developed lines around the eyes overnight. They're fine lines and only visible up close, but of course it's only the beginning and will get worse in the years to come.

I thought of just waiting until the lines get bad enough to be easily visible and go to a cosmetic surgeon, but what I'm most interested in is keeping my face as smooth as possible as well as the skin on my face looking as young as possible; cosmetic procedures like Botox keep you wrinkle-free, but you still have aged skin.

I don't spend much money on creams and whatnot (I put aloe vera gel on my face after shaving and that's about it) because I've never been convinced, even by cosmetics salespeople, that they're worth the money. Have you ever had a conversation with them about why their products are worth so much? I have, and it went like this:
"Please don't take this the wrong way because it's an honest question: Why is this cream worth so much?"
"The ingredients are high quality and it works."
"What do you mean by 'high quality'? How are they effective? And if they're so powerful, are there any risky side effects?"
"High quality means high quality. This cream works and it's safe."
(I never push it past this point because I expect that if they have a satisfactory explanation, they'd offer it up right away)

I know this is not a forum of dermatologists or anti-aging experts, but maybe someone will have some insight: Are there any cosmetics that actually work at staving off signs of aging? Is there anything else I can do? I do not plan to age gracefully; I will fight it to the death! Help me do so.
kardisa

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retinol (or a retinoid) at night and sunscreen during the day. I used to have tiny wrinkles at the corners of my eyes and a rather deep one on my forehead. I started using a retinol cream from IOPE about 3 months ago and the small wrinkles are gone and the deep one is barely noticeable. One tube is about $80 but it seems to last 5-6 months. I believe that retinoids are the only anti-aging creams that are proven to work. The downside is that you have to use sunscreen anytime you go outside in order to protect the new skin cells.

Some reading:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/30/fashion/30skin.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
http://www.vogue.com/vogue-daily/article/the-return-to-retinol/#1
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use these every night:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MVG48Q/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

http://www.kiehls.com/Midnight-Recovery-Concentrate/819,default,pd.html?cgid=face-night-care&cm_vc=Search&start=1&q=midnight%20recovery%20concentrate

http://www.kiehls.com/Ultra-Facial-Cream/622,default,pd.html?cgid=face-moisturizers&cm_vc=Search&start=1&q=ultra%20facial%20cream

In the morning I use this:

http://www.kiehls.com/Ultra-Facial-Cleanser/714,default,pd.html with a small buffing loofa that I got at Body Shop then I use

http://www.kiehls.com/Cucumber-Herbal-Alcohol-Free-Toner/263,default,pd.html followed by the Ultra Facial Cream again, and, if I'm going out without a hat, I add an SPF 50 sun screen. The Ultra Facial Cream, cleanser, and cucumber toner last me from between 4 and 5 months. The glycolic acid toner maybe 3 or 4. The midnight recovery is a recent addition, so I can't say how long that lasts, but, considering you're supposed to use 3 drops (I use 4) every night, it should last 5 months at the least. When I used cheaper products, I had to reapply the moisturizers a few times throughout the day. Now, it's after I shower at night, and again in the morning after I wash my face.

To answer your questions about price: I have really sensitive skin, and have tried too many products to count. Kiehl's seems to work the best for me. My dermatologist back home agreed that the products are some of the best non-prescription ones on the market, especially for people with sensitive skin. The glycolic acid toner was just a lucky find, as I used to use a different brand, but the company wouldn't ship to Korea and this one would. It turns out that it's far gentler than the other, and I can use it every night.

I'd rather spend my time and money on prevention and maintenance and not need make up (well, maybe a little eye make up to doll myself up when going out for dinner) or surgery. Botox hurts (I've been told,) and costs more than this stuff anyway.

Last edited by NYC_Gal 2.0 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Zackback

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really glad to see that keeping pretty is important to you.
Just put Blistex underneath the eyes and also don't forget about the part of the face next to the eyes. Over time crows feet will appear. Try not to squint a lot as well.

This:
http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view?p=crow%27s+feet&back=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%3Fei%3DUTF-8%26p%3Dcrows%2Bfeet&w=665&h=499&imgurl=www.nwwls.com%2Fuploads%2Fimages%2Fcrows_feet_before.jpg&size=33KB&name=crows_feet_before.jpg&rcurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nwwls.com%2Fbotox-and-juvederm-injectables&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nwwls.com%2Fbotox-and-juvederm-injectables&type=&no=2&tt=112&oid=9a23bc55b42ff4f79d893fd0404d1424&tit=Crows+Feet+Before+Botox+Treatment+Crows+Feet+After+Botox+Treatment&sigr=11jjpendo&sigi=11iq3pr1b&sigb=11k8nb83s&fr=yfp-t-701
highstreet

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second Kiehls stuff. Slightly overpriced here, but not by much.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your skin Retin A is very powerful for reversing aging especially due to sun damage. It can reverse aging on your sking years by up to 15 years maybe more.
12ax7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quit smoking if you do, and don't start if you don't.
JustinC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never clean my mirrors, that seems to work pretty well.
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

young_clinton wrote:
For your skin Retin A is very powerful for reversing aging especially due to sun damage. It can reverse aging on your sking years by up to 15 years maybe more.

I'll probably start using that in the next 5-10 years. I used it when I was a teen for acne, and it worked really well, but I was dry and red for the first few weeks until my skin got used to it. Great stuff. For now, my system seems to work. I forgot to mention the under-eye treatment that I use in the mornings:

http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=130991/eye-roll-on-with-caffeine/Garnier/Treatments-%28Eye%29

I don't have significant bags, so it works, but if you have really puffy eyes, you'd likely want a stronger under-eye treatment, perhaps from Clarins or Clinique.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a less powerful prescription 0.025 % creme for damaged skin. Higher concentrations are for acne and are not signicantly better for use in sun damaged skin.
happiness

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im 40 and noone has ever guessed it. Im usually 28-33. For me (a guy),

lots of water, lose weight (even when I was bigger, I still looked young), no smoking, almost nil drinking. I dont even exercise (I should though), its a diet thing, I think. I do have wrinkles, but I dont mind, its my kids who mind.

Isnt it strange that young elementary students know about hair dyeing, wrinkles, plastic surgery? I just like legos and starwars at that age.

that also shows how image focused Koreans are. We should take note (for good or bad)
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Eat a lot of fat!
2) Use Korean facial lotion twice a day.
EZE

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A vasectomy will probably help as much as anything over the long run. Wink
schwa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I speculate that working around kids has a natural anti-aging effect on faces. I've noticed that teachers generally (Korean & otherwise) often look younger than their years, especially compared with other professions. People disbelieve me when I tell them my age (60).

I smoke & drink like theres no tomorrow & I dont actively exercise. Not recommending that regimen, of course. But at the same time, I have steered clear of the skin product racket. For many years now I have applied absolutely nothing to my face -- no soap, lotion, or anything -- other than plain water, trusting my skin to find its own natural balance. Which it seems to have done.

You cant fend off lines forever (older people who try look spooky to me) but you can control whether they're smile & laugh lines or more about worry & stress.
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get born, live for a time, then you die. Them is the facts. You can play all the mind games you want, but it won't change the facts.

Women can wear all the make-up, bras, and girdles they want, but when the lights go out and the superficial supports disappear, all that's left is the reality.

Just pray the other person in bed is too drunk to notice the reality. That's your only hope.

PS: Well, except for ending it all now with pills or a gun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: