Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HIV/AIDS Tests as a Proxy for RacialDiscrimination?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slothrop

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by slothrop on Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaegeum2003 wrote:
PatrickGHBusan wrote:
I beg to differ gaegum.

Once the work permit expires and if that person leaves Canada and wishes to have a new work permit, they have to take the medical tests again and those are different depending on where you will work.

As an IMMIGRANT to Canada, which is completely different than a FOREIGN TEMPORARY WORKER, you take a full medical ONCE to get your immigration papers approved, then you become a permanent resident.

For example, my wife's friend worked in Toronto 2 years ago as a foreign worker. He had to take a full medical (including HIV). He left at the end of term and came back a year later for another job in the same field, he was again required to take a medical (including HIV).

My wife is a permanent resident of Canada and as such can apply for any job she likes and all she has to do is meet the job requirements. Some jobs (ex: daycare workers) require a medical however, and this includes a list of diseases considered contageous and or dangerous.

The comparable for Korea would be someone on a RESIDENCY visa (F-series). Such people typically face fewer restrictions which is perfectly normal as they are now considered RESIDENTS and not FOREIGN WORKERS.

Close, but not quite.

In order for me to work in Korea as an F visa holder (so a permanent resident), I have to do an HIV test every year in order to work as a teacher.

In order for my wife to live and work in Canada, as a permanent resident, she only has to do the test once.

We're both permanent residents of each others countries. I find it helpful to compare apples to apples, and not oranges to apples.

Good comparison.

I did not take any HIV test while on a F-visa because partly that policy was not in effect yet and after because I did not work with kids. I was not required to re-take a health test each year either.

There are some differences in the permanent residency rules of various countries, you are right.

Furthermore, on a F-visa, if you do not teach, you have no medical test to take unless the specific job requires it.

However, most of the flak on this issue compares the rights of E2s with those of permanent residents in Korea (or elsewhere) which is, as you called it apples and oranges.
Wildbore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue is a legal one.

Requiring medical tests for E2 visas isn't discriminatory because if a Korean is applying for an E2 visa, they also need to do the test.

Where it was discriminatory is when the MOE required a separate medical test just for foreign teachers. If they required them for all teachers, Korean and foreign, it would not have been discriminatory.
Los Angeloser

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheUrbanMyth wrote:
earthquakez wrote:
[q
As they understand (they're not dimwits in denial like you), the perception here from Koreans is that they ARE a race and so in fact the HIV test is a case of what we call 'soft' racial discrimination - that is discrimination dressed up as some necessary procedure but of course targeted against those who don't have the 'same blood' as Koreans.

Speaking of being in denial...

You are aware that since the 2011 revisions to the relevant law even those who have the "same blood" are tested? I did post links to this up above.

Just checking.

Yes, the law that didn't go into effect or MOE didn't start following until spring/2012 and can't be too difficult for hagwons to find a way around it so F-visa holders are still able to avoid the HIV/AIDS tests. Don't they still hire Canadians on 6 month tourist visas? It's still unknown how or whether the law will be enforced? The MOE never really wanted to check ethnic Koreans anyway so it could become like that Saturday seminar Immigration "requires" all E-2 visa holders attend.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what the crusader is upset about now. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: