Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good place for Korean to study English in America

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlarcheuk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:19 am    Post subject: Good place for Korean to study English in America Reply with quote

Here's a reverse sort of question. A Korean university student with limited English wants to do a really challenging one-year immersion program in America, preferably in a university. Money IS an object. Any great ideas?
thrylos

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know some Koreans that attended a program at Arizona State. It appears it is about 4,000 for 2 months(!!).

https://global.asu.edu/aecp/costs#Summary

Another Korean I knew went to a community college in Washington (state) for a yearlong intensive. He spent about 50,000,000 won for everything there. (So he said).

Suggest living and studying in the Philippines for a year. I'm sure it's much more affordable, and for a false or low beginner, just as beneficial language-learning wise.

I seriously don't get why lower-level speakers want "US" or "Canada", when it's really far away and unless they're loaded, so prohibitively expensive.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

University of New Mexico is a good place. I have seen plenty of Korean students walking around there speaking Korean. Good looking ones too. Albuquerque also has a social center for Koreans. Also The University of New Mexico has always put multiculteralism as a major focus, more than any other university I am acquainted with.

I can't give out any specifics about any programs just yet. However around January 2nd when UNM opens I can obtain a phone number of a Korean speaker for you to contact.
Zackback

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years back I knew of a couple of students that went somewhere in Montana. Not sure what school though.
warmachinenkorea

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Uni had, at any given time of the year, about 50 Korean students. One of our business professors is Korean.

They have a decent and affordable ESL program.

http://www.utm.edu/departments/intprog/eslconversion.php

This isn't a huge social center though. It's small town America. Some people like that others not so much.
Korguy1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My University has a large fairly famous ESL program.

http://aei.uoregon.edu/

Costs are about 3-4k USD per 3 months (term system). They have the option of a host family, or dorm.

If the person you're talking about is good enough, they will have opportunities to try regular University classes.
Brooks

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think the U of O is a good place to work at?
young_clinton

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should come to the University of New Mexico or possibly Central New Mexico Community College which is almost right next door.
New Mexico has fairly low unemployment at 6.5 %, although it's still a little high. Eugene, Oregon has 8.4%, above the national average of 7.9%. I will try to get contact info as soon as the University opens on January 2.
12ax7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Australia still do those work-study visas? I had a couple of students who did that. They were essentially fluent in English after a year.
Yaya

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to disagree about studying English in the Phils. I visit the Phils often and have found the quality of Koreans studying English here to be low. I feel the ones who are studying English in the Phils aren't that serious about learning English. Yes it's cheaper but you get what you pay for.

As for the U.S., I usually advise Koreans to go where Koreans are few in number, but since that is close to impossible, I suggest the countryside or not-so-famous cities like Denver or so. Studying English in the U.S. ain't cheap at all no matter where you go.

I wonder if Guam would be a nice place.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the middle of nowhere, as far away from any Korean or Korean Student's Association as possible.

Alaska
Montana
South Dakota
North Dakota
Idaho
Maine
Wyoming

Look for some small school in a small town.

No West Coast. No East Coast. No state with a city of over 200,000. Better yet, 100,000.

Your only friends will be from a completely different country. Probably the 5 other international students.

Or they can go to UCIrvine or some such and feel like they've never left home and come back with crappy English.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
In the middle of nowhere, as far away from any Korean or Korean Student's Association as possible.

Alaska
Montana
South Dakota
North Dakota
Idaho
Maine
Wyoming

Look for some small school in a small town.

No West Coast. No East Coast. No state with a city of over 200,000. Better yet, 100,000.

Your only friends will be from a completely different country. Probably the 5 other international students.

Or they can go to UCIrvine or some such and feel like they've never left home and come back with crappy English.

Yep! Avoid all UCs at all costs.
Brooks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would probably say avoid the west coast and Hawaii.
Probably Michigan or Arizona is ok.
My wife is Japanese and she studied in Arkansas and Vermont.

But not NYC or around Washington DC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: