Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Job for First Timers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ignacio10

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:08 am    Post subject: Job for First Timers Reply with quote

Hi guys and girls,

I'm new to the forum so my apologies if this isn't in the correct section!

My girlfriend and I are newbies to the TEFL game, we are going through a recruiter (Sky recruitment Center), we have been in contact back and forth and they have a job offer for us (pending successful interview of course).

I just wanted to post the job info so the more experienced teachers could tell us if it's a good or bad offer for first timers? This is part of the email they sent to us:

(Couple job option) Seoul Mokdong area.
this school is near Hwagok subway station.

Teaching kinders~elem schoolers
working from 9:00-6:00(2 days a wee)9:00-7:00 pm(3 days a week)
paying 2.1~2.2M
housing(15 mins on foot)/air tickets.
Starting from the end of Feb.
except pension everything is fully standard.
There are 7 more native teachers working for this school.

The recruiter added in a further email that classes were 40-50 minutes and teaching hours are 25-30 per week.

Any opinions are greatly appreciated, as a newbie this can all be a bit overwhelming at times so any advice is welcome!

Thanks,

Emmet
itiswhatitis

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kindy usually has the most office politics.

It can be total hell and you pretty much have to see it to beleive it.

Living in Seoul ain't that special. You will probably have to commute to work if you live in Mokdong cus the school won't pay Mokdong rent. If they do you will live in a shoe box.

A couple position is a bad idea. Especially for 2 rookies. Teaching kindy is generally considered the most demanding gig and there is a very good chance that 1 of the 2 of you will just not be cut out for it. Maybe you like the idea of being in Seoul. I understand that there are few options if you want to both be in Seoul and to not be on the other ends of the city with your jobs.

My advice: Look into a smaller city. You will both find a job at a seperate place and can rent your own place with the housing allowance. The primary benefit of being in Seoul is being a single guy who likes one night stands in Itaewon and Hongdae (sounds like this doesn't apply to you). There are a few other benefits to Seoul but that's what weekend trips to Seoul are for.

Good luck!!!
Airborne9

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itiswhatitis wrote:

Living in Seoul ain't that special. You will probably have to commute to work if you live in Mokdong cus the school won't pay Mokdong rent. If they do you will live in a shoe box.

This is probably the only bit of advice I would take seriously from the above post. If you want to live in Seoul, if you and your GF want to live together, If you wan to teach young kids, then take it.

Having said that, the money seems a little low for the amount of hours, but that might be the going rate for first times these days so I'm not sure. What is the vacation days? normally its 10 days excluding public holidays.
YTMND

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get photos of the apartment. Since it is a couple's job offer, I doubt they will give 2 places. This makes it more important to know where you both will be moving into.

Also, what happens when you both don't get paid or they decide to fire one of you? How will you handle getting a new school or new schools? Will one be nice and just finish the contract or will you both leave if the school can't get along with one?

I have seen this happen before with nasty results. That's why I am bringing it up.

My solution would be for one to get an apartment and the other would get housing allowance from a second school. This way, you aren't gambling with one school. If anything backfires, it will affect you both, whereas single job offers are easier to get out of.
Dodge7

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what "except pension everything is fully standard" is supposed to mean. If that means you DON'T GET pension, then I'd decline the job on the spot. Working hours blow, too anyway. I wouldn't take this job. Being at work 9-10 hours a day, might as well sleep there.
northway

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should really only take a kinder job if you really like little kids or if you want maximum ownership of your class/classroom. Don't do it simply because of the location or because it's the first job you find. I loved teaching kindergarten and prefer them to any other age group, but I've also heard a lot of kinder teachers say awful things about their little ones, largely because they had no interest in them in the first place. Don't be one of those teachers.
Otherside

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Airborne9 wrote:

This is probably the only bit of advice I would take seriously from the above post. If you want to live in Seoul, if you and your GF want to live together, If you wan to teach young kids, then take it.

This.

Additionally, regarding the pension, it's a legal obligation for the school to pay it. If you're an American/Canadian/Aussie them not paying it equates to you being screwed. If you're Brit/NZ/Irish, them not paying it could work in your favour, but they're still breaking the law and are likely to screw you elsewhere (i.e. not pay healthcare, overcharge on taxes, etc). If you're South African, it's correct that they shouldn't be paying pension, but if that's the case, I'd double check that everything else is being covered (health insurance, confirm the tax rate in the contract, etc), and hope that the wording was just a small "lost in translation" error.
cincynate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
except pension everything is fully standard.

If they are saying they don't pay pension, which is a leagal requirement, then drop this job like a hot rock. If they are willing to skirt the law right off the bat, you better believe they are going to screw you at every turn.
njp6

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd ask if you could e-mail a teacher there and get their opinion on the gig, the housing, and things in general. I did this with my first school and I got the answers I wanted (is the apartment size adequate, is there a gym around, what about entertainment, do you get paid on time). Make sure they give you and your GF bigger living quarters as you will be sharing, (correct?). Sometimes they like to cram couples in smaller spaces to save money. Also, kindy can be quite demanding. For myself, elementary school age was much better.

Last, do your research, but eventually take the leap. I turned down 3 or 4 places until I found something I thought would fit. Don't let too many doubts or too many naesayers deter you.
Reidac317

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks awful. If you're going to work 9-10 hours a day with kindy to elementary students, you might as well work at KoreaPOLYschool (my current/first hagwon experience) where at least you'll get paid 2.7-2.8m base. You also get a strict curriculum to the page good for first timers along with not having some director try to sleaze you out of a pension.

This is just from my experience first time teaching at a job working similar hours, which I did not choose to resign with over wanting more free time. I'm by no means recommending the place as my experience has been pretty neutral, but with as many jobs as there are in Korea there's no reason to take a shitty one that is purely worse than other options.

For 2.1 you don't need to work more than 7 hours a day.
If you like kindy (which I love, but is a personal choice) and want a morning shift, I wouldn't take a 9-6 job even for a first timer for less than 2.4 or 2.5.
I haven't seen a job pay more than POLY if you're primarily here for money unless it has very special requirements.
Sure Seoul usually pays a little less but there's so many more positions that there's a much bigger pool to choose from.

This is my experience finishing up my first year here and looking for a new job. Don't be afraid to say no 5+ times to your recruiter and use as many as you can find, they clearly try to pass mediocre jobs first.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pay is low, but the market is pushing it in that direction. You prob won't be able to push too much, depending on how desperate you are. If you can wait, then wait for something better. If you need to get over soon, then give a similiar position a try. But push for 2.3 at least and for pension to be paid. (Similiar position, not this job.) With a year or two of experience, you can ask for more. You really should be in the upper twos, but with this economy, not so sure and not so easy. Poly would pay better, but are there more people applying for Poly than they have jobs available? Sadly, this isn't five years ago. You'll have to get more feed back rather than rely on me.
cmb2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just interviewed with this job, too. The director lady that I talked to even confirmed over the phone that she wouldn't be paying pension. I've had many jobs offered to me where they don't pay pension. Why?!
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmb2 wrote:
I just interviewed with this job, too. The director lady that I talked to even confirmed over the phone that she wouldn't be paying pension. I've had many jobs offered to me where they don't pay pension. Why?!

Because they have to pay into it as well.

Also be aware that if there is no pension then there is NO NHIC medical (they go hand in hand).

cmb2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ttompatz
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:00 pm Post subject:
cmb2 wrote:

Well yes, I meant it as a rhetorical question. I am more frustrated that my recruiter was trying to shove so many jobs down my throat with no pension.
Skippy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmb2 wrote:
Quote:
ttompatz
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:00 pm Post subject:
cmb2 wrote:

Well yes, I meant it as a rhetorical question. I am more frustrated that my recruiter was trying to shove so many jobs down my throat with no pension.

No, pension means the school is really trying to be cheap or possible cheating with using the independent contractor routine. Some schools want to skip because the workers want to be cheap too. For some not getting pension means losing out on money, as they do not get the refund.

Taking not paying pension as a big red flag. If a a school is so cheap to not want to fork over 100k won to 200k won per month, it will be cheap everywhere else. From plane tickets to apartments.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: