Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why Canadians are Richer than Americans
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rollo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Housing of course. Banking , the conservative approach has certainly worked well during this period of turmoil around the world. I do think in more stable times the risk takers often do better. Not sure on the tax thing.
No_hite_pls

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Universal health care has helped to keep wealth in Canada. In Canada there are very few health care related foreclosures in the states there are many. The mortgage deduction in the states also encourages debt.

The taxes in Canada are not higher then the states and haven't been in years. The US military is very expensive.

Last edited by No_hite_pls on Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:07 am; edited 1 time in total
supernick

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting article. I wouldn't want to say which country is richer, but I have to say that Canada had to overcome some difficulties years ago, and now things seem to be going better. Sure Canada has resouces that are in demand these days and one never knows when the prices might fall.

As to why there are more Canadians in Korea teaching per capita is simply beccause there are many young university graduates armed with passports, coupled with a willingness to re-locate. Canadians have been moblile for many years - just something in their nature.

If my memory serves me well, it was Americans that were bragging about how much better the U.S. economy was a few years ago, and Bush was leading this ra-ra. It was all just a simple facade.

Canada and Australia faired fairly well during this last crisis. Maybe it's a good time to take a closer look to see what these countries are doing right.

The poster who thinks that Canada doesn't have illegal immigrants needs to take a closer look. Why do some Americans think that only the U.S. has a large immigrant base? Australia, Canada and the UK have huge amounts of immigrants, some legal some aren't.
No_hite_pls

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canada has a higher immigrant population than the US as a percentage of their population. Canada's net immigration rate is almost double the US.

5.65 per 1,000 in 2012 (Canada)

3.62 per 1,000 in 2012 (USA)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_net_migration_rate
Kuros

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No_hite_pls wrote:
Universal health care has helped to keep wealth in Canada. In Canada there are very few health care related foreclosures in the states there are many.

Source, please.

Homeowners can handle a healthcare catastrophe through a Chapter 13 repayment plan bankruptcy. They can pay 1% on the healthcare debt and in full on all secured assets, including the home. I'll admit that many homeowners aren't savvy enough to visit a lawyer until its too late.
lowpo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No_hite_pls wrote:
recessiontime wrote:
Tim, check out your own link. It clearly shows a disproportionate number of Canadians compared to Americans. In 2008 there were 8980 Americans and roughly 4800 Canadians. Keep in mind that the US has 10x the population of Canada. There should roughly only be 900-1000 Canadians proportionally but instead we see almost 5000 ! How can you account for this huge discrepancy?

Many Americans are afraid to travel, and believe that America is the greatest country on earth as fax news tells them. I personally know many people like this back home. They can not fathom that there can be opportunities outside the US. Canadians are less likely to be taught that they are the greatest country in world.

Come on, I can't believe you actually asked why there is a huge discrepancy.

Your telling me that Canadians don't brag how good Canada is or look down on Americans!
World Traveler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be interesting to see tomorrow's job report:

Quote:
Statistics Canada publishes its jobs report for December. Economists expect the unemployment rate to rise to 7.3 per cent from 7.2 per cent. Employers are expected to have created 5,000 new jobs.

Quote:
The U.S. Labour Department issues its employment report for December. Economists expect the unemployment rate to remain unchanged at 7.7 per cent; non-farm payrolls are expected to grow by 150,000 jobs.
Kuros

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowpo wrote:
No_hite_pls wrote:
recessiontime wrote:
Tim, check out your own link. It clearly shows a disproportionate number of Canadians compared to Americans. In 2008 there were 8980 Americans and roughly 4800 Canadians. Keep in mind that the US has 10x the population of Canada. There should roughly only be 900-1000 Canadians proportionally but instead we see almost 5000 ! How can you account for this huge discrepancy?

Many Americans are afraid to travel, and believe that America is the greatest country on earth as fax news tells them. I personally know many people like this back home. They can not fathom that there can be opportunities outside the US. Canadians are less likely to be taught that they are the greatest country in world.

Your telling me that Canadians don't brag how good Canada is or look down on Americans!

Not really. He must be from Ontario.
No_hite_pls

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuros wrote:
lowpo wrote:
No_hite_pls wrote:
recessiontime wrote:

Not really. He must be from Ontario.

Actually, I'm an American citizen from a southeastern state in America. I lived there for 25 years but also lived in Canada for 3 years. My wife is Canadian. I have lived in America and Canada. Wages are higher in Canada for most jobs and benefits are also better in my first hand expereince. As I saw with my own eyes there was less poverty in Canada and more wealth.

Last edited by No_hite_pls on Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
visitorq

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's just some dude on the internet...
Steelrails

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

That's pretty shoddy reasoning.

Given that the US has close to 10X the population of Canada, even if 70% of Americans watched FoxNews and thought like that, that still wouldn't explain the significantly high number of Canadians relative to Americans. But that isn't the case, so I think your explanation is not accurate.

However I think the high number of Canadians overall is partially attributable to the desire of Koreans to learn the generic North American English accent and vernacular.

Quote:
The taxes in Canada are not higher then the states and haven't been in years. The US military is very expensive.

Again, and again, whenever someone blathers on and on about some Western (or NE Asian) country having better government services than the US, they don't seem to really understand the post WWII defense and military arrangement and how much of a burden REALLY was shouldered by the US and how much their country's economies would have suffered without the US military.

Now Canada would do better than most thanks to its geographical isolation, abundant national resources, and foreboding climate, but does anyone really think that if the the US didn't care about Canada, that Canada would have been able to stop the Soviets from at least taking over the western provinces? And surely the Soviets would have liked to and would have manufactured some old claims on the territory.

Likewise, if there was anything overseas that Canada was dependent on, say ores or such, do you think an independent Canada would have been able to send an overseas expeditionary force, invade say, a Syria or S. Vietnam, and been able to do sowithout being bled dry and flat broke?

Would it have been able to afford the R&D necessary to keep pace with the Soviets?

Certainly possible, but things would have been rather taxing and I'm sure your governmental structures would be far different. Either that or you'd be very much more intertwined with the rest of the Commonwealth.

The point is, its easy to carry on an on about "American Empire" but without it, you'd revert to the 19th century- multipolar powers scrambling across the globe to secure whatever they can because they come from resource-poor areas, subjugating other people, engaged in bloody conflicts in those lands and with each other, and abject poverty throughout. Only this time it would be in the 1950s-1990s with nuclear weapons in play.

Sound appealing?
No_hite_pls

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails your post may apply to the 50's and 60's but what does it have to do with America's huge miltary budgets now?

BTW The US going to Vietnam and spending billions of tax payers money did nothing to make Canada or any other country safer.
visitorq

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No_hite_pls wrote:
Wages are higher in Canada for most jobs

I'm pretty sure this is the opposite of true...

According to wikipedia, the US was a solid $10k above Canada for average wages in 2011:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_average_wage
No_hite_pls

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visitorq wrote:
No_hite_pls wrote:

According to wikipedia, the US was a solid $10k above Canada for average wages in 2011:

I hope those stats are right. You'll need that extra income in the states to pay your health insurance premiums. To have health insurance in the states that covers everything with no co pays and no max payouts like in Canada it would cost you at least 10,000 a year in an insurance premiums but in Canada it is largely free. If you have family like me it would cost even more than 10,000 a year in states to have full coverage with no co pays.

The median net worth of Americans households is one the lowest in the OCED (77,000usd 2010). Largely do to low income jobs, buying too much junk and very very high healthcare costs. The median Canadian household has more than twice the net worth of an American household. The brits also beat Americans in median and even average net worth.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/wp/2012/07/18/are-canadians-richer-than-americans/

There is a nice chart on the Washington Post article on net worth in developed countries. If you looking for America it is third to last on the chart behind Australia, Italy, Japan, U.K., Switzerland, Ireland, France, Canada, Norway, Finland, Spain, New Zealand, Israel, Taiwan, and Germany.

Quote:
So not only does Canada beat the United States on median net worth. Just about every developed country save Sweden and Denmark does. The UK, Japan, Italy (!) and Australia more than double the U.S. median.

Last edited by No_hite_pls on Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visitorq wrote:
No_hite_pls wrote:

This. A while back Macleans (a Canadian magazine) ran an article comparing the salary of certain professions in the U.S (such as doctor, lawyer) with those in the U.S. Overall the U.S had higher salaries for every single profession listed...with the exception of one. That one was teacher. Canadians pay their teachers more on average, but lag in the other ones.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 3 of 16

Jump to: