Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are these conditions okay?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ontheway

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

12ax7 wrote:
Troglodyte wrote:
The pay is kind of low and the employer is stating right from the start that they're willing to ignore the law if it's to their benefit. Pass.

Exactly.

Not true.

This is just a job ad. It does NOT say that the job does anything illegal, although they may. It's just an ad. We don't know who wrote the ad or how familiar they were with actual conditions of the job or contract details.

Do the interview.
If offered the job, check out the contract and talk to another western teacher at the school, current and/or previous, more than one is better.
Compare to your other offers, taking into account your own personal situation, qualifications, experience and goals.
Then decide based on facts.
tremault

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little curious, how are they breaking the law?
is it the part about the pension/insurance being excluded?
Troglodyte

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tremault wrote:
I'm a little curious, how are they breaking the law?
is it the part about the pension/insurance being excluded?

They're not breaking the law. They're stating that they're WILLING to break the law. But yes, it's the part about pension and insurance.
NQ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pay is kinda low...it's only a little more than a newbie doing a public school job. I would try to see if I could get another job, but if you really want this job, try getting the phone numbers of the English teachers that are already there at the hogwon and ask 'em about the real scoop of the job. If there's less than 3 English teachers there then that hogwon could be strapped for cash.

I personally wouldn't take it cuz of the low salary. I know the job market is rough here in Korea but I still think you can wait it out for something better.
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustinC wrote:

I'd want much more pay to put up with those hours. You can get the same pay for less quite easily, for example public schools here contract a NET for 22 teaching periods, each 40 minutes long - 14 teaching hours.

Only elementary public schools.

In middle public school each period is 45 minutes (16.5 hours) and in high school it is 50 (just over 18 hours). However for a first timer the pay can be quite low...I believe the minimum is 1.8 million although that can be increased with qualifications.

And even though the teaching hours are less you are (usually) expected to spend 8 (or more hours) per day there...whereas with a hakwon you can often swing a deal to go home when you are done.

That said your point stands and is well worth the OP taking into consideration.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: