Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Saw a cockroach the size of a mouse at the mart

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Swampfox10mm



Joined: 24 Mar 2011

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Saw a cockroach the size of a mouse at the mart Reply with quote

I haven't seen a roach that big since I was in the Philippines. Yikes! Prior to last night, the largest roach I'd ever seen in Korea was climbing up the wall of a bar in Itaewon about 8 years ago.

As for last night, I had just paid for my groceries and saw it crawl across the floor under some ajoshi's legs. I pointed down to it, which got him to look down. He jumped about 3 feet in the air and landed on it with a huge CRUNCH! The check-out lady asked him what it was, and he showed her. She about fainted, and he looked like he was going to vomit.

Have already decided not to purchase anymore non-packaged food items there... yick!

Describe your scary bug experiences in Korea.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
young_clinton



Joined: 09 Sep 2009

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The crunch of stepping on roaches has always disgusted me. In general I hate insects and arthropods of all types except crustaceans.
The only reason not to find a way to get rid of these vermin is the serious ecological impact it would have (Birds, Lizards and Mammals need them for food, Bees pollinate, Cockroaches break down dead organic matter etc.). If I see a roach I always spray it where it is at, if the Raid is readily available, or I sweep it outside. I will not step on roaches or have anything to do with them.

I rarely even eat crabs, lobster, crawdads or shrimp unless it comes with the dish. It used to be that lobster and the other invertebrates were used soley by poor people as a good protein source. They used to feed lobsters to prisoners because it used to that type of person that ate that food. People with money would eat Pork, Beef, Chicken, Lamb. Things have turned around 360 degrees now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John Stamos jr.



Joined: 07 Oct 2012
Location: Namsan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The size of a mouse? Damn, never seen one that big. In college my apartment complex had a minor roach problem and I remember waking up in the middle of the night feeling one crawling on my back. That bitch escaped under the bed and I couldn't sleep for the next few hours... just looking for it and waiting around with a shoe to smash it like a crackhead. I hate roaches.

I was also bombarded by mosquitoes this summer, and, also like a crackhead, would scour my apartment murdering them with an old shirt. At a certain point, I think I ended up enjoying it. Needless to say, there are still a bunch of small blood stains on the ceiling and walls that I'm going to have to deal with at some point, since the apartment is in my name. Guess some whiteout will do the trick, though. Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
young_clinton



Joined: 09 Sep 2009

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Stamos jr. wrote:
The size of a mouse? Damn, never seen one that big. In college my apartment complex had a minor roach problem and I remember waking up in the middle of the night feeling one crawling on my back. That bitch escaped under the bed and I couldn't sleep for the next few hours... just looking for it and waiting around with a shoe to smash it like a crackhead. I hate roaches.

I was also bombarded by mosquitoes this summer, and, also like a crackhead, would scour my apartment murdering them with an old shirt. At a certain point, I think I ended up enjoying it. Needless to say, there are still a bunch of small blood stains on the ceiling and walls that I'm going to have to deal with at some point, since the apartment is in my name. Guess some whiteout will do the trick, though. Cool


Mosquito's are nasty little turkeys. They have caused nothing but misery, sickness and death to humans and still do. I think someday soon there will be the means to cause them to go extinct. However quite a few animals namely bats require mosquitos for food and would not survive without them. I wonder what the ecological consequenses to eliminate mosquitos off the face of the earth would be?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Swampfox10mm



Joined: 24 Mar 2011

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, we bought a super-single-sized net/tent thing that sits over our daughter's bed. That will be a good buy for you next year. They fold up and put away nicely when finished. Cost maybe 33,000 at E-mart. Probably cheaper elsewhere.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
John Stamos jr.



Joined: 07 Oct 2012
Location: Namsan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip, I appreciate it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mix1



Joined: 08 May 2007

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earwigs!
Lived near a mountain a year ago. Apartment and view: amazing. But late fall as it got cold, earwigs would start coming in in droves.

They are skinny but about 2 inches long with pinchers. Not dangerous, but disgusting, and yes, they can pinch you if you provoke them. Killing them was a full time job.

Woke up one morning to see about 3 of them on the ceiling crawling above me. Hoping they wouldn't fall onto my face.

Also, there are some really big, nasty centipedes here. The ultra poisonous kind.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zackback



Joined: 05 Nov 2010
Location: Kyungbuk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The incident the OP described is absolutely hilarious!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
yodanole



Joined: 02 Mar 2003
Location: La Florida

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you get any kind of recipe? Probably good for "stamina".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
weebil



Joined: 24 May 2009

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

young_clinton wrote:


Mosquito's are nasty little turkeys. They have caused nothing but misery, sickness and death to humans and still do. I think someday soon there will be the means to cause them to go extinct. However quite a few animals namely bats require mosquitos for food and would not survive without them. I wonder what the ecological consequenses to eliminate mosquitos off the face of the earth would be?


an interesting aside: there is currently a veritable holocaust of bats in north america due to a mysterious epidemic known as WNS in bat populations. the predictable result is that mosquito and other insect populations are soaring.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
JustinC



Joined: 10 Mar 2012
Location: We Are The World!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can download it, a good series is Nature's Weirdest Events which has stories (with pics!) of plagues of various bugs, creepy crawlies and the like.

I've only been attacked by mosquitoes, I woke up after a night in my apartment in China with bikes covering my legs, body, neck and face. Each night for a month there would be thousands in the hallway and dozens killed in my apartment. Hateful creatures.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
erasmus



Joined: 11 Sep 2010

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mosquitos kill and ruin picnics and other outdoor events. They even commit the ultimate crime of disrupting precious sleep. Cockroaches, however, are just fellow travellers on the great evolutionary highway, as are most insects and other such organisms. I don't understand why people get so wound up about creatures that are just making a living the best way they can. I hope that cockroaches get so strong that when someone steps on one they just push back and send the person hurling through the air landing, ideally, on a glass coffee table.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Daniel1981



Joined: 30 Dec 2009

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: Saw a cockroach the size of a mouse at the mart Reply with quote

Swampfox10mm wrote:
I haven't seen a roach that big since I was in the Philippines. Yikes! Prior to last night, the largest roach I'd ever seen in Korea was climbing up the wall of a bar in Itaewon about 8 years ago.

As for last night, I had just paid for my groceries and saw it crawl across the floor under some ajoshi's legs. I pointed down to it, which got him to look down. He jumped about 3 feet in the air and landed on it with a huge CRUNCH! The check-out lady asked him what it was, and he showed her. She about fainted, and he looked like he was going to vomit.

Have already decided not to purchase anymore non-packaged food items there... yick!

Describe your scary bug experiences in Korea.


Just wondering, was it one of the big marts (homeplus, emart, lotte mart) or a smaller independenat / top/big mart?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
young_clinton



Joined: 09 Sep 2009

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erasmus wrote:
Mosquitos kill and ruin picnics and other outdoor events. They even commit the ultimate crime of disrupting precious sleep. Cockroaches, however, are just fellow travellers on the great evolutionary highway, as are most insects and other such organisms. I don't understand why people get so wound up about creatures that are just making a living the best way they can. I hope that cockroaches get so strong that when someone steps on one they just push back and send the person hurling through the air landing, ideally, on a glass coffee table.


Because they're ugly and they eat clothing and paper and leave crap behind. They are also opportunists, they will bite small babies and try to eat anything defenseless.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Moondoggy



Joined: 07 Jun 2011

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Saw a cockroach the size of a mouse at the mart Reply with quote

Swampfox10mm wrote:
I haven't seen a roach that big since I was in the Philippines. Yikes! Prior to last night, the largest roach I'd ever seen in Korea was climbing up the wall of a bar in Itaewon about 8 years ago.

As for last night, I had just paid for my groceries and saw it crawl across the floor under some ajoshi's legs. I pointed down to it, which got him to look down. He jumped about 3 feet in the air and landed on it with a huge CRUNCH! The check-out lady asked him what it was, and he showed her. She about fainted, and he looked like he was going to vomit.

Have already decided not to purchase anymore non-packaged food items there... yick!

Describe your scary bug experiences in Korea.


You only have one life to live... don't let unpleasant things or sights take over your mind. I used to see giant rats all over Berkeley and thought they were cute.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2013 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International