Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

US DoD vs international school vs university?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

If you had the choice of all those options, which would you pick?
US DoD school
62%
 62%  [ 5 ]
international school
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
university
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
hagwon
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
public school
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 8

steve902

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: US DoD vs international school vs university? Reply with quote

ttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: US DoD vs international school vs university? Reply with quote

steve902 wrote:

In descending order:

International school - as in "internationally accredited school for expat kids" (best bang for the buck if you qualify - this isn't entry level stuff and certainly not EFL/ESL)

public school (not a bad entry level job in EFL)

university (decent job but as a complete package the net jingle at the end of the year makes it more about prestige than economics)

hagwon (they have their own problems but a decent hagwon makes a good start into life as an expat)

DoD school (why????? - you get all the disadvantages of being abroad as an expat well as all the disadvantages of working at home).

YTMND

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Why do you think one is purer than another? Each area has its advantages and disadvantages.

Look at the offer, not the type of offer.
PRagic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't really ask people to choose between these options, at least most people.

For international and DOD school jobs, you'd be teaching content and need the proper degrees and certs to even get the job. DOD has a pretty strong vets preference, too.

Crapwons? Anybody with a 4 year degree and a pulse. IMHO at the very bottom of the heap. Depends on the person and the crapwon, but I wouldn't want to play the odds.

University jobs, unless you have PhD in hand, are ESL instructor slots. good jobs to have for professional teachers in the field. Increasingly, you need an MA in a related discipline, which is a good thing IMHO. Great vacations, but from what I've heard you hit a salary cap that is tough to break through.

Public school jobs are again only for ESL teaching opportunities. The downside compared to crapwons is that you can get stuck out in the boonies. The upside is that it'll look better on a young persons CV, the hours are often better, and there is some vacation time.

So basically...

DOD and international schools for professional, certified teachers looking to teach content

Universities for dedicated TESOL teachers with their MA

Public schools and crapwons for short termers, those with good qualifications who need to build experience, or those looking to work teaching English without having related or advanced degrees.
climber159

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: US DoD vs international school vs university? Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
steve902 wrote:

In descending order:

International school - as in "internationally accredited school for expat kids" (best bang for the buck if you qualify - this isn't entry level stuff and certainly not EFL/ESL)

public school (not a bad entry level job in EFL)

university (decent job but as a complete package the net jingle at the end of the year makes it more about prestige than economics)

hagwon (they have their own problems but a decent hagwon makes a good start into life as an expat)

DoD school (why????? - you get all the disadvantages of being abroad as an expat well as all the disadvantages of working at home).

I second this ranking. I've held positions in hagwons, public schools (EFL), and international schools and I plan to stay, for the foreseeable future, with international schools. If you go for international schools you will most certainly need proper teaching certifications from your home country and some teaching experience. Because many of these positions are quite competitive you'd do well to have an advanced degree as well.
12ax7

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PRagic wrote:
Can't really ask people to choose between these options, at least most people.

For international and DOD school jobs, you'd be teaching content and need the proper degrees and certs to even get the job. DOD has a pretty strong vets preference, too.

Crapwons? Anybody with a 4 year degree and a pulse. IMHO at the very bottom of the heap. Depends on the person and the crapwon, but I wouldn't want to play the odds.

University jobs, unless you have PhD in hand, are ESL instructor slots. good jobs to have for professional teachers in the field. Increasingly, you need an MA in a related discipline, which is a good thing IMHO. Great vacations, but from what I've heard you hit a salary cap that is tough to break through.

Public school jobs are again only for ESL teaching opportunities. The downside compared to crapwons is that you can get stuck out in the boonies. The upside is that it'll look better on a young persons CV, the hours are often better, and there is some vacation time.

So basically...

DOD and international schools for professional, certified teachers looking to teach content

Universities for dedicated TESOL teachers with their MA

Public schools and crapwons for short termers, those with good qualifications who need to build experience, or those looking to work teaching English without having related or advanced degrees.

No salary cap for me. I've been getting a raise, the same as my Korean colleagues, every year I've been employed at my current job.
PRagic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's fantastic, and I hope that continues as it well should. That was also the case at SNU where several friends of mine had worked for years. All of a sudden that system was panned and they swung to low wages, no raises, and term limits. There was an immediate mass exodus, needless to say. Other universities have cleaned ESL house, too. Konkuk comes to mind, but that was years and years ago.

Ewha and Yonsei might not have caps, in addition to some of the small, private universities like Sejong. Sejong did change its pay/housing structure a while back, but I'm not sure about caps or term limits. You'd have to check or maybe someone will chime in.
12ax7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PRagic wrote:
That's fantastic, and I hope that continues as it well should. That was also the case at SNU where several friends of mine had worked for years. All of a sudden that system was panned and they swung to low wages, no raises, and term limits. There was an immediate mass exodus, needless to say. Other universities have cleaned ESL house, too. Konkuk comes to mind, but that was years and years ago.

Ewha and Yonsei might not have caps, in addition to some of the small, private universities like Sejong. Sejong did change its pay/housing structure a while back, but I'm not sure about caps or term limits. You'd have to check or maybe someone will chime in.

I'm not worried. I know the top guys at administration quite well and they've assured me that it would never happen. They want to keep the qualified teachers that they have.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: