Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has moving away from Korea worked out for you?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NilesQ

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We seem to be seeing a theme here; move back to a place with a hot economy and get into a high demand job = relative financial success upon return.

If I couldn't get a decent job/career in my hometown before I went to Korea (the reason many, not all, of us come to Korea), then why would I think that after X years of being away from that place, having done a job that doesn't provide directly marketable experience to most employers that I'd be any better off job wise upon my return?
Evanzinho

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NilesQ wrote:

If I couldn't get a decent job/career in my hometown before I went to Korea (the reason many, not all, of us come to Korea), then why would I think that after X years of being away from that place, having done a job that doesn't provide directly marketable experience to most employers that I'd be any better off job wise upon my return?

Good point. That is why I asked on the first page about entreprenuership and if anyone had started their own business after coming back from Korea.

Teaching in Korea gives us an oppotunity, if one has discipline, to save an extraordinary amount of money; I saved a little over $20k just in my last year there, and that was without doing privates. Yet, people on here seem to be coming back home to regular office jobs in the corporate world.

If I wanted to do something like that, I would have just gotten an entry-level office job right out of college and then worked my way on up. You don't need to spend time overseas if all you want to be is an office drone.
silkhighway

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but 20K is not a lot of money anymore. Unless you have connections or people you can rely on, it will probably cost you at least 5-10K just to get set up with the bare minimum when you move back.

If you're looking for a theme of people who went home and didn't return to Korea, it would be persistence. It's easy to go back to living in a bubble in Korea where you can put off reality.
Evanzinho

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silkhighway wrote:
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but 20K is not a lot of money anymore.

I agree completely, that's why I stayed in Korea for three years.
northway

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silkhighway wrote:
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but 20K is not a lot of money anymore. Unless you have connections or people you can rely on, it will probably cost you at least 5-10K just to get set up with the bare minimum when you move back.

If you're looking for a theme of people who went home and didn't return to Korea, it would be persistence. It's easy to go back to living in a bubble in Korea where you can put off reality.

I was lucky enough to have both people to rely on and one excellent connection, but the latter part of your post is still very true. I do miss teaching, as it was a lot more fun than my current job, but long-term, I just couldn't see myself teaching. Reminding myself that I wish to avoid that bubble serves as a great motivator.
allovertheplace

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My time in Korea was awesome. I was 22, it was my first job and foreign experience. I will remember it fondly for the rest of my life. However, it can never be recaptured. I left because I was just trying to relive my first 6 months in Korea for several years. It's done. Time to move on. Glad I did.[/quote]

Great line. EXACTLY my sentiments.
I'm With You

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
allovertheplace wrote:
My time in Korea was awesome. I was 22, it was my first job and foreign experience. I will remember it fondly for the rest of my life. However, it can never be recaptured. I left because I was just trying to relive my first 6 months in Korea for several years. It's done. Time to move on. Glad I did.

Great line. EXACTLY my sentiments.

Yeah, that's a good line. I think it's true, also. You can never re-experience that first year, though. It's impossible.

Still, the expat lifestyle can be addicting.
swashbuckler

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm With You wrote:
Died By Bear wrote:
By far the best thing about living and working back home for me is that I don't feel angry all the time because I can't control most situations like in Korea.

There are tons of things that I miss though, good things about Korea and Japan. They're good to visit, but to depend on them for a paycheck? Forget it.

I agree with your first point. Even after years of living here it's easy to come unglued dealing with stuff like that.

But when I do, I just start thinking about my bank account and my heart rate starts to go down. I'm earning ~$75,000 a year now teaching 12 hours a week at a university and privates. I'mm working 8 months a year. The other 4 months are mine for the most part during the winter and summer vacations, minus some meetings and other events.

But to go back home to a 9-5 job? With a real boss?

Forget it.

And I'm pulling in 10 grand a month with illegal privates in which all I have to do is sit down and have a conversation while getting paid 80,00 per hour, owning my own hagwon, publishing a series of TOEIC books, appearing on EBS, and of course my 8 hour a week uni job in which I always put in the absolute minimum amount of effort required while living in a 30 pyeong apt five minutes from campus. I continue my privates over skype with I'm traveling during my 5 months a year of paid vacation in Thailand.

I'm sure glad I never decided to have children or get a job will real responsibilities that doesn't expire every year!

I love the internet!
earthquakez

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swashbuckler wrote:
Quote:
I'm With You wrote:
Died By Bear wrote:
By far the best thing about living and working back home for me is that I don't feel angry all the time because I can't control most situations like in Korea.

There are tons of things that I miss though, good things about Korea and Japan. They're good to visit, but to depend on them for a paycheck? Forget it.

I agree with your first point. Even after years of living here it's easy to come unglued dealing with stuff like that.

But when I do, I just start thinking about my bank account and my heart rate starts to go down. I'm earning ~$75,000 a year now teaching 12 hours a week at a university and privates. I'mm working 8 months a year. The other 4 months are mine for the most part during the winter and summer vacations, minus some meetings and other events.

Forget it.

And I'm pulling in 10 grand a month with illegal privates in which all I have to do is sit down and have a conversation while getting paid 80,00 per hour, owning my own hagwon, publishing a series of TOEIC books, appearing on EBS, and of course my 8 hour a week uni job in which I always put in the absolute minimum amount of effort required while living in a 30 pyeong apt five minutes from campus. I continue my privates over skype with I'm traveling during my 5 months a year of paid vacation in Thailand.

I'm sure glad I never decided to have children or get a job will real responsibilities that doesn't expire every year!

I love the internet!

Judging by the immature and boastful tone you have in a lot of your posts I'd say fairly that your 'facts' here are rubbish. Unless you're taking the p-i-s-s but somehow I suspect you're not being ironic but trying to put one over others here.

What's the name of your hagwon? Dreamland? What are the names of these TOEC books you've published? Tell us more about EBS. With only a BA you've done well sunshine!
Jodami

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's worked out fantastically well. I had a very cushy uni job with loads of extra classes, which paid very well. I've upgraded though.

Very glad to have left! Very Happy
Gaininganadventur

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FDNY wrote:
I moved back to Boston this year and am doing fine. I studied medicine while I was in Korea and I just got board certified here. I am now a thoracic surgeon in Boston General Hospital. With my hospital salary and private consultations I am making just over US$600,000 a year. I brought my bisexual KGF here with two of her bisexual girlfriends. I got my KGF an apartment and I am renting a loft for her "friends", plus I bought an upscale townhouse for myself. However, I don't know if I will be using the townhouse much. Razz Driving here is also much better. Got a 2014 Dodge Viper that I burn the hell out of every morning with the two bisexual K-gals making out in the passenger seat. So, has it worked out? Yeah, but I miss Korea.

Can't stop laughing...
radcon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

earthquakez wrote:
swashbuckler wrote:
Quote:
I'm With You wrote:
Died By Bear wrote:

Forget it.

I love the internet!

Judging by the immature and boastful tone you have in a lot of your posts I'd say fairly that your 'facts' here are rubbish. Unless you're taking the p-i-s-s but somehow I suspect you're not being ironic but trying to put one over others here.

What's the name of your hagwon? Dreamland? What are the names of these TOEC books you've published? Tell us more about EBS. With only a BA you've done well sunshine!

The guy was joking and making fun of those who overstate their situations in Korea.. Hence the last line " I love the internet."
jjajangmyun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i went back to the US the first time without any clear goal/idea of what i was gonna do, i just wasted a lot of time and money. i was an idiot 24 yo kid.

came back to Korea, saved up a bit, but took time to plan my next step.

i found my way into a dream job in australia, but it wasn't easy and it took a lot more time than i had planned, but it was totally worth it.

i go back to korea every few months or so cuz i'm addicted to this crazy country. but the frequency of those trips is starting to dwindle as my circle of friends and general happiness levels continue to grow here in OZ.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: