Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

location location! itaewon vs seocho dong... help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gmc55555

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:33 am    Post subject: location location! itaewon vs seocho dong... help! Reply with quote

Hello!
I am lucky enough to have two job offers; one in Itaewon, one in Seocho-dong.
Except I have never been to Korea, and I have NO idea what these places are like!
Have you been to either?
I would appreciate if you took the time to describe your experience!
If it helps... I am American, 20-something, def seeking a city experience (culture, stuff to do, convenience to metros, ect ect)
I am on the fence because while they are both nearly equivalent in salary, the one in Seocho has much more vacation time and I'm thinking that'd cinch the deal. However I don't want to spend my year somewhere that is boring, vacant of foreigners, ect.
Thanks SO much for your help!
-c
littlelisa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While Itaewon has more foreigners, Seocho dong is not devoid of foreingers either, it's also not very far from Itaewon anyway, and is actually a nicer area, IMO. Though Itaewon does have better food, especially a huge variety of foreign food. Itaewon is a little like the "America Town" of Seoul.

Personally, I would go with the best job, and not worry about those two areas. You will be fine in either area, and they are only 30 minutes away from each other, tops. For me, the choice of job would be more important than choosing between those two areas.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I commute between the two. Seocho is South of the river, is a real Korean district, foreigners are fairly rare but occasionally seen, real Korean food to be found. Itaewon is North of the river, the foreigner nightlife district, more weirdos but still quite safe, more foreign food. Either one are fine for a job.
wishfullthinkng

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i also commute between the two. i live in seocho. it's one of the richest dong's in seoul and very "metropolitan" and like every other area, has its pros and cons. it all depends on your thinking. if you are open minded and actually want to immerse yourself a bit more into korean culture and don't want to be surrounded by mouthbreathing foreigners all the time, go seocho. seocho is very commercial and expensive though. if you want something more comfortable and tailored towards foreigners then go itaewon.

either way if you plan on hanging out in itaewon from seocho it's only around a 5-10 minute taxi ride between the two depending on traffic over the banpo bridge.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wishfullthinkng wrote:
...don't want to be surrounded by mouthbreathing foreigners all the time, go seocho.

Haha, exactly.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bit childish and potentially offensive to refer to 'mouthbreathing' people in this derogatory fashion by the way. This chronic condition can be caused by a host of medical problems in no way connected to a lack of intelligence or lifestyle choice. Allergies, nasal polyps, deviated septum etc...You might as well say people with ezcema are stupid, or asthma.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: