Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Small acts of kindness for Korea's neglected dogs.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ewlandon



Joined: 30 Jan 2011
Location: teacher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:
I know that what I'm advocating is a small thing. That's why the thread is titled"small acts" of kindness to Korea's dogs. I'm not pretending I'm doing anything grand. It is a very small thing, but it makes a big difference to the poor dog. You can take my word on that! It's the highlight of his day. When he sees me approaching with a can of tuna or some meat he can barely contain himself. It does make a difference. For those of you who help at shelters or contribute financially, that's briliant. You have my respect and gratitude. Thank you kindly for doing what you are doing. But not all of circumstances permit us to do that. (I, for example, live in the boonies. ) Also, there are millions of neglected dogs in Korea that will never set foot in a shelter. They spend their life tied up on a two foot leash. Should we simply ignore them because they aren't in a shelter? Some here clearly mock these small gestures of compassion. But for the poor creatures a couple of sausages is like Christmas morning.

It is emphatically not the same as 'feeding the birds'. That's just stupid. For one thing, people feed the birds mostly for their own entertainment. It's the height of cynicism to suggest that I am doing this for my entertainment. Why then did I start this thread? So others can do small kindnesses to dogs 'for my entertainment'' Rolling Eyes .Secondly, the birds can take care of themselves. The dog tied up for its entire life cannot.

I will continue doing small kindnesses where I can. Hopefully others do too. There are millions of neglected dogs in Korea that wish they would.

Regards,
Scorpion



your posts are rageworthy. Have you read any responses? Do you just ingore the advice given because it takes away from your feeling of rightousness?

No one is saying you are doing it for your own "entertainment" but you are clearly making yourself feel good about yourself for doing this. As for making the post... the posts is here to also help you feel good about yourself?


NO one is claiming you shouldnt help animals, but you are blatantly ignoring where the pitfalls of your "help"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
schwa



Joined: 18 Jan 2003
Location: sokcho

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with ewlandon. You seem to be totally ignoring a number of thoughtful responses above about how your actions could be wrongheaded & in fact damaging.

By all means be kind to animals & encourage the same in others, as a general principle. But its reckless to interfere unless you can offer more than a bit of passing do-gooderism.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Scorpion



Joined: 15 Apr 2012

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schwa wrote:
I agree with ewlandon. You seem to be totally ignoring a number of thoughtful responses above about how your actions could be wrongheaded & in fact damaging.


Actually, I've read every post very carefully and appreciate all constructive comments. Here is my response to the main concerns.

1. Don't give chicken bones to dogs. It can choke them.First of all, I was very (very) selective about the bones I gave them. I'm not an idiot. But I was using that as an example. I also mentioned that I buy meat at the shop for it. I occasionally cook something up on my stove and take it out to it. Please stop obsessing on the bones. It was, clearly a bad example. Let's move on to discuss what things we can do to help these dogs.

2. Don't mess with other people's property. As someone else noted, owning a dog is not the same as owning a chair. You have no moral obligation to a chair. You have a moral obligation to a dog. Owners who abuse or neglect their dogs, and tie them up on a two foot leash for life, have abrogated their ownership rights to that dog. Others are fully within their rights to intervene to alleviate the dog's suffering. Ownership is not absolute. I honestly don't care what the owner thinks. Happily, in the case of the dog at my villa the owner seems not to mind. But as I say, that's the least of my concerns.

3. It would be better if you donated time to a shelter.Again, I live in the boonies. Also, millions of these poor dogs are not in shelters. They are tied up on the streets.

4. Might be a guard dog. You might be messing with its training, which could have dire consequences for the dog.This is a valid point. But it is not applicable to the dogs near me. They are small dogs and are emphatically not there to defend the property. But I do acknowledge that in cases where they are, feeding them might be in error.

5. It might have a food schedule that you are messing with.Sure, if the food schedule is dry pebbles and a bowl of frozen water.

6. Why don't you buy the dog?Like many others I have no interest in owning a dog. That doesn't mean there's nothing that we can do to help these poor creatures.

Let me say one last thing. Back home I would never think of feeding another person's dog. The situations are radically different. We have a culture that despises people who abuse dogs, and most dog owners are conscientious and treat their pet well. For those delinquents who do not, neighbors and the humane society will intervene. There is great shame and stigma attached to animal abuse. That is not the case in Korea. It is the widespread neglect and abuse of dogs in Korea that makes our efforts so necessary.

Regards.


Last edited by Scorpion on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Steelrails



Joined: 12 Mar 2009
Location: Earth, Solar System

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ejyanaika wrote:

Everyone told me that no matter what, the law wouldn't be on my side. I believe the korean person i met/asked called the police for me about the situation. But then again she may have been hesistant about it. So i just wore a hoody and tore everything down and unchained the dogs. I was not going to have another night of listening to a dog getting beaten to death.

Regardless if it's animals, i see it often with people here too. Someone falls, or there is a situation on the subway, and no one does anything. The apathy boggles me. But there are times when you do see those random acts of kindness and it's really touching.
.


If this was back in America and you snuck onto my property and destroyed it, and I caught you in the act, I would shoot you dead. Or I'd go to your property and smash your stereo and electric guitar that I don't want to listen to for another night. Maybe pour some water into the gas tank of your polluting and global-warming inducing car.

If you have a problem, knock on the front door. Peacefully protest. Heck, stop the guy in the act and maybe wrestle him and shout at him. I might even back the idea of a face to face fist-fight. But donning a hoody and smashing property is juvenile and barbaric. If you disagree with something someone does, confront them face to face like a man.

I hope the police catch you and throw you in prison. You aren't the moral police of this place. If you can't handle the idea that some people here view dogs as livestock- GO HOME.

It sucks, but we all knew Korea's reputation before we agreed to come here. We understood that people here eat dogs. If you can't handle that fact, you shouldn't have joined. And if you came here to change things, then get the heck out. The world isn't your moral-lecturing playground.

Quote:
I know that what I'm advocating is a small thing. That's why the thread is titled"small acts" of kindness to Korea's dogs. I'm not pretending I'm doing anything grand. It is a very small thing, but it makes a big difference to the poor dog. You can take my word on that!


You've spent every hour of every day watching this dog?

Quote:
I know that what I'm advocating is a small thing. That's why the thread is titled"small acts" of kindness to Korea's dogs. I'm not pretending I'm doing anything grand. It is a very small thing, but it makes a big difference to the poor dog. You can take my word on that!


Not to burst your bubble, but pretty much every dog on the planet Earth goes bonkers if you give them meat.

Quote:
Some here clearly mock these small gestures of compassion.


No, we're mocking you posting it on Dave's and proclaiming what a great thing it would be for us to do.

That's like me going on Dave's and posting because I dropped money in the Salvation Army bucket, gave canned food to the homeless, or dropped in a dollar in the UNICEF bucket by the cash register.

Aside from the potential pitfalls of your actions, which others have clearly illustrated, even if what you did had no potential consequences, in your mind this is what you are supposed to do.

Sorry, but I don't need lectures and self-congratulatory posts for stuff one is supposed to do.

To paraphrase Chris Rock, this is like you coming on Dave's and saying "I take care of my kids, you should too." "At least I've never gotten drunk and thrown in jail". You're supposed to do that stuff. That doesn't make you special.

Quote:
Why then did I start this thread? So others can do small kindnesses to dogs 'for my entertainment''


Probably some roundabout way to puff yourself up and given some of the posts I've seen from you, put Koreans down.

Quote:
The dog tied up for its entire life cannot.


Sure it can. It can pull a Tiger vs. Roy Horn and try and maul its owner. One nice chomp with those Jindo fangs on the neck of Ol Mr. Kim and Fido is home free.

Why doesn't it? Because for whatever reason, its survival and fight instinct hasn't been tripped, which means its straights aren't as dire as you're making it out to be.

Quote:
Also, there are millions of neglected dogs in Korea that will never set foot in a shelter.


Then that suggests that they are "vermin" and their population needs to be culled. I wish it could be done with mass neutering and spaying and millions of dollars being spent on dogs rather than homeless, sick, elderly, or poor people. Better to spend it spaying animals than buying books for kids, keeping Korea safe from the Norks, or improving health care.

If it can't be done with mass neutering, then might as well have a mass meat-market.

================================

I know I'm going a little over the top here, but man...the utter sanctimony of some people...Sorry, you claim to be open-minded and "down with other cultures", but really, you aren't. You should go back home and back to your country. What's really ironic is that many of these types blast Christian missionaries or "The American Empire" for going into other countries and imposing their version of morality on other people...And then they do the exact same thing.

And dude, OP, sorry, but you aren't fooling anyone. We see through you. Stop lying to yourself and us.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Smithington



Joined: 14 Dec 2011

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails dude, you're really losing it. You sound stark, raving mad. Everything is an attack on poor little Korea, and every criticism must be repulsed. No logic can be twisted enough in the defence of Korea and its virtue. You even see attacks when none are there. No objective reading of the OP's post suggests that its underlying purpose is to criticize Korea. It is simply an appeal to show some compassion to this country's neglected dogs. (If you don't think there's a problem with how dogs are treated in Korea you have no soul.)

Was the OP's thread titled "I am utterly disgusted by how Koreans treat their dogs.' No, it was simply an appeal to compassion, and does not appear to be in any way an anti-Korean rant. It's an appeal to help Korea's dogs with small acts of decency. Why 'Korea's dogs' you ask? Because we are living in Korea and we witness dogs suffering every day from neglect. But you 'the defender of all things Korean' imediately seize on the imagined insult to Korea. Instead of suggesting ways to show compassion to Korea's dogs you offer yet another knee-jerk reaction to a perceived slight of Korea.

It's tiring and it's boring. And most importantly, it's unhelpful to the question at hand.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ejyanaika



Joined: 30 Jan 2012

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelrails, next time read a bit more carefully

-this was not private property. it was in-between a park and a parking garage. Maybe you mistook the parking garage for a privately owned one attached to a house, but it was a multi-leveled parking garage.

How do you stop someone who is already finished in the act? I was on my way home and heard it. Hence why i asked someone to call the police afterwards to see if there was something that could be stopped. The person i asked even said it was not a normal situation and the make-shift pen should not have been there. They mentioned the police will sometimes just look the other in these situations since the law was still new. The hoody was for cctv, and if the person was around i would have said something. I took pictures and asked multiple koreans if it was legitimate before doing anything, oh and guess what, they said it wasn't.

Youre right some people do view dogs as livestock, but the rules/laws are changing, and soon after so will some of the people. Not all of course, but korea is slowly catching up. I would expect this in the countryside and on someones privately owned property. But not in a city, on a public park playground

Like i said, this was not private property. The police did not come and do anything about it. I'm not the moral police, but i do have morals.

In response to your threat, if we were back in america and i saw you beating a dog to death with a stick, you'd have a nice 1911 or 360 pd pointed your way too, while we waited for the poilce. And your revenge scenario is more juvenile than that of my actions. cheers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rabidcake



Joined: 10 Aug 2009

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithington wrote:
Steelrails dude, you're really losing it. You sound stark, raving mad. Everything is an attack on poor little Korea, and every criticism must be repulsed. No logic can be twisted enough in the defence of Korea and its virtue. You even see attacks when none are there. No objective reading of the OP's post suggests that its underlying purpose is to criticize Korea. It is simply an appeal to show some compassion to this country's neglected dogs. (If you don't think there's a problem with how dogs are treated in Korea you have no soul.)

Was the OP's thread titled "I am utterly disgusted by how Koreans treat their dogs.' No, it was simply an appeal to compassion, and does not appear to be in any way an anti-Korean rant. It's an appeal to help Korea's dogs with small acts of decency. Why 'Korea's dogs' you ask? Because we are living in Korea and we witness dogs suffering every day from neglect. But you 'the defender of all things Korean' imediately seize on the imagined insult to Korea. Instead of suggesting ways to show compassion to Korea's dogs you offer yet another knee-jerk reaction to a perceived slight of Korea.

It's tiring and it's boring. And most importantly, it's unhelpful to the question at hand.


Yes, how dare he give suggestions like not trespassing onto other people's property and respecting their rights. Such radical ideas.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rabidcake



Joined: 10 Aug 2009

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ejyanaika wrote:

In response to your threat, if we were back in america and i saw you beating a dog to death with a stick, you'd have a nice 1911 or 360 pd pointed your way too, while we waited for the poilce. And your revenge scenario is more juvenile than that of my actions. cheers


What if the dog was going crazy? What if you were beating the dog in self-defense? How would you know??

Likewise, how do you know about the dog's situation when he's tied up?

OP, your cause and heart is noble, but without knowing all the facts you are really looking into getting into trouble. You may do as you will, but don't be surprised if your actions have negative consequences.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Steelrails



Joined: 12 Mar 2009
Location: Earth, Solar System

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You have a moral obligation to a dog. Owners who abuse or neglect their dogs, and tie them up on a two foot leash for life, have abrogated their ownership rights to that dog. Others are fully within their rights to intervene to alleviate the dog's suffering. Ownership is not absolute.


You're confusing a moral duty to act with the legal right to act, they are two different things entirely.

The problem is that moral duties are subjective.

Quote:
Also, millions of these poor dogs are not in shelters. They are tied up on the streets.


First the streets are clogged with people. Then they are clogged with park cars. Then they are clogged with scooters. Then they are clogged with street food vendors and soju tents and drunk ajosshis and now dogs.

I can see 3-4 of these things at one time, but all of those at the same time? Sooner or later one hears these and concludes that the streets aren't as clogged as the hysterical make them out to be.

Quote:
Again, I live in the boonies. Also,
Quote:
millions of these poor dogs are not in shelters
. They are tied up on the streets.


For someone living in the boonies and pleading inability to do anything to help, you seem to have quite the large amount of knowledge of Seoul's/Busan's/Daejeon's dog-filled streets.

Quote:
Sure, if the food schedule is dry pebbles and a bowl of frozen water.


Wouldn't the dog be dead if all it had to eat was dry pebbles and frozen water? Don't you mean dried dog food and water which it drinks when its owner brings out the dish?

If the dog was denied water, to such a degree that bowl would be empty, not frozen over. The fact that it isn't suggests that there is another source of water and food, likely beyond your single can of tuna.

Quote:
It is the widespread neglect and abuse of dogs in Korea that makes our efforts so necessary.
]

Go back to your country with your sanctimony. The world has had enough of people from half-way around the world who stop by for a year and then carpet-bag to the next place on the globe to lecture the people their about the ills of their society.

Quote:
Maybe you mistook the parking garage for a privately owned one attached to a house, but it was a multi-leveled parking garage.


Yeah, kinda did. I had visions of you scaling someone's house fence and going into their carport or something. If it was in a public multi-level then that is the equivalent of a mobile meth lab.

That does change things. Clearly that is a drive-by-night underground operation.

Good for you then. I have no problem with people who do something like that to the underworld. The underworld is fair game.

Quote:
Youre right some people do view dogs as livestock, but the rules/laws are changing, and soon after so will some of the people. Not all of course, but korea is slowly catching up


Maybe one day we will catch up to Korea and not be paranoid of our country's leaders being of a different religion or fight massive wars of religion.

I don't need a lecture from Koreans on religious tolerance and they don't need one from us on animal rights.

As for dogs being livestock- How do you define which animals are "okay" to eat and which aren't? Dogs no, but pigs yes? Pigs are pretty clever. Horse? Octopus? Goat?

Who gets to decide that? You or the people of the sovereign nation in which they reside?

Quote:
Why 'Korea's dogs' you ask? Because we are living in Korea and we witness dogs suffering every day from neglect. But you 'the defender of all things Korean' imediately seize on the imagined insult to Korea. Instead of suggesting ways to show compassion to Korea's dogs you offer yet another knee-jerk reaction to a perceived slight of Korea.


There are other posts on here by other posters that talk about services to animals and supporting animal shelters and so on. You can get a different feel- Those are people who have lived a life involved with animal and humane shelters and have probably done so since the age of 8.

Do you think Scorpion falls into that category? Admittedly he does not. I can tell you there are millions of neglected and abused animals back home.

You can catch the drift behind the words.

Also, the "It's their land and morals" argument extends to all nations of the Earth.

I object strongly to many laws in the Middle East, but it is their land. They can choose what society to live in, and it is their responsibility, not ours to commit and act to any changes. They do not need democracy or whatever else brought to them by us and our moral crusade. I think the last 10 years have exposed the arrogance and hypocrisy of that crusading mindset.

Sorry, but you gave up any responsibility when you chose to emigrate and essentially become a non-citizen in a foreign democratic country. You lost that privilege and responsibility towards changing a society.

I do not want Koreans coming into my country and demanding social and moral changes. I do not want Korean temporary workers in my country who will meddle in people's private affairs and project their morals onto my country. In that spirit, I refuse to do so here. I chose that when I signed the dotted line.


Last edited by Steelrails on Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ewlandon



Joined: 30 Jan 2011
Location: teacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Quote:
You have a moral obligation to a dog. Owners who abuse or neglect their dogs, and tie them up on a two foot leash for life, have abrogated their ownership rights to that dog. Others are fully within their rights to intervene to alleviate the dog's suffering. Ownership is not absolute.


You're confusing a moral duty to act with the legal right to act, they are two different things entirely.

The problem is that moral duties are subjective.

Quote:
Also, millions of these poor dogs are not in shelters. They are tied up on the streets.


First the streets are clogged with people. Then they are clogged with park cars. Then they are clogged with scooters. Then they are clogged with street food vendors and soju tents and drunk ajosshis and now dogs.

I can see 3-4 of these things at one time, but all of those at the same time? Sooner or later one hears these and concludes that the streets aren't as clogged as the hysterical make them out to be.

Quote:
Again, I live in the boonies. Also,
Quote:
millions of these poor dogs are not in shelters
. They are tied up on the streets.


For someone living in the boonies and pleading inability to do anything to help, you seem to have quite the large amount of knowledge of Seoul's/Busan's/Daejeon's dog-filled streets.

Quote:
Sure, if the food schedule is dry pebbles and a bowl of frozen water.


Wouldn't the dog be dead if all it had to eat was dry pebbles and frozen water? Don't you mean dried dog food and water which it drinks when its owner brings out the dish?

If the dog was denied water to such a degree that bowl would be empty, not frozen over. The fact that it isn't suggests that there is another source of water and food, likely beyond your single can of tuna.

Quote:
It is the widespread neglect and abuse of dogs in Korea that makes our efforts so necessary.
]

Go back to your country with your sanctimony. The world has had enough of people from half-way around the world who stop by for a year and then carpet-bag to the next place on the globe to lecture the people their about the ills of their society.

Quote:
Maybe you mistook the parking garage for a privately owned one attached to a house, but it was a multi-leveled parking garage.


Yeah kinda did. I had visions of you scaling someone's house fence and going into their carport or something. If it was in a public multi-level then that is the equivalent of a mobile meth lab.

That does change things. Clearly that is a drive-by-night underground operation.

Good for you then. I have no problem with people who do something like that to the underworld. The underworld is fair game.

Quote:
Youre right some people do view dogs as livestock, but the rules/laws are changing, and soon after so will some of the people. Not all of course, but korea is slowly catching up


Maybe one day we will catch up to Korea and not be paranoid of our country's leaders being of a different religion or fight massive wars of religion.

I don't a lecture from Koreans on religious tolerance and they don't need one from us on animal rights.

As for dogs being livestock- How do you define which animals are "okay" to eat and which aren't? Dogs no, but pigs yes? Pigs are pretty clever. Horse? Octopus? Goat?

Who gets to decide that? You or the people of the sovereign nation in which they reside?

Quote:
Why 'Korea's dogs' you ask? Because we are living in Korea and we witness dogs suffering every day from neglect. But you 'the defender of all things Korean' imediately seize on the imagined insult to Korea. Instead of suggesting ways to show compassion to Korea's dogs you offer yet another knee-jerk reaction to a perceived slight of Korea.


There are other posts on here by other posters that talk about services to animals and supporting animal shelters and so on. You can get a different feel- Those are people who have lived a life involved with animal and humane shelters and have probably done so since the age of 8.

Do you think Scorpion falls into that category? Admittedly he does not. I can tell you there are millions of neglected and abused animals back home.

You can catch the drift behind the words.

Also, the "It's their land and morals" argument extends to all nations of the Earth.

I object strongly to many laws in the Middle East, but it is their land. They can choose what society to live in, and it is their responsibility, not ours to commit and act to any changes. They do not need democracy or whatever else brought to them by us and our moral crusade. I think the last 10 years have exposed the arrogance and hypocrisy of that crusading mindset.

Sorry, but you gave up any responsibility when you chose to emigrate and essentially become a non-citizen in a foreign democratic country. You lost that privilege and responsibility towards changing a society.

I do not want Koreans coming into my country and demanding social and moral changes. I do not want Korean temporary workers in my country who will meddle in people's private affairs and project their morals onto my country. In that spirit, I refuse to do so here. I chose that when I signed the dotted line.


I mostly agree with you till the end.

It sounds a bit racist and non-democratic (im sure you didnt meant to sound that way) but in a democratic society the temporary korean citizens should have an outlet to speak their mind about the community they live in. That being said OP should go talk to someone at the community center, not mess around with someones tied up dog.

Now for the OP, you say you live in the bonnies here. Have you ever been to the bonnies back home? Some people treat their dogs as tools, they tie them up, they feed them, and thats it. THen the use the dog as tool when it comes times for that tool to be used.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
fosterman



Joined: 16 Nov 2011

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheUrbanMyth wrote:


OP please stop giving that poor dog chicken bones. Tuna and other meat products may be fine...but no processed lunch meats...if the dog is not used to them it can mess severely with his digestive system.


yeah because that dog tied to that 1 foot leash for the rest of his existence is more important than a few chicken bones!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kz626



Joined: 29 Aug 2012
Location: Songtan, Gyeonggi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Err... OP, dog food is SUPPOSED TO BE "dry pebbles". The only other options are canned dog food which is bad for their teeth, or "people food" which is bad for all sorts of reasons if not very carefully planned out. I think you're just really ignorant about dogs, although your heart is in the right place. Leave that dog alone, if there are "dry pebbles" in his bowl either he's not eating it because he's picky AND PREFERS THE UNHEALTHY JUNK YOU GIVE HIM, or he's eating it because his owner gives him MORE FOOD THAN HE CAN EAT! The dog is fine, use some logic. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
NYC_Gal 2.0



Joined: 10 Dec 2010

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dog eats a diet that is mainly those "dry pebbles." Those dry pebbles cost me a fortune, as I use a mixture of Orijen (amazingly high-quality food from Canada) and Royal Canine (gastro-intestinal formula) and are really good for his teeth. He also gets some sweet potato, dehydrated bananas, and one egg a week, as well as that My Beau amino-acid and vitamin goo from New Zealand, but yeah, dry kibble is often better for dogs than most soft foods.

If the owner doesn't mind, sure, give the pooch some meat (off the bone) that isn't seasoned (salt is bad for dogs, and onions and garlic can make them really ill) and brighten its day. I don't love the idea of dogs being chained outside all day, so again, if the owner is okay with it, go for it. I do the same with a couple of dogs in my neighborhood, though their situations aren't as bad. The owners know, though, and are cool with me bringing a milk bone (made for dogs) or pig ear (also made for dogs) once or twice a week.

On a somewhat-related note: BAPS down near Busan has a poodle that I'm in love with, but can't adopt, as we are only allowed the one dog in our apartment. It was hard enough finding a nice place that would allow the one, so I'm trying to help find him a home. He's chocolate brown, between 2 and 4 years old, and has that super lovey, needy personality that dogs get when they didn't get a lot of affection as puppies. I'm a sucker for that, and am a bit heartbroken that we can't have a second dog. If anyone's interested in the second-cutest/sweetest dog on the planet, he'll be available for adoption in a little over a month (he's being treated for a skin condition, but should be fine by then.) Please PM me if you're interested.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Steelrails



Joined: 12 Mar 2009
Location: Earth, Solar System

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even bashers should agree with this-

Not to rehash a point to death, but saying a dog loves you & you're its biggest joy because you bring it tuna & chicken bones is like saying your Korean students love you & you're their biggest joy because you bring them candy & stickers.

Yes, I'm comparing Korean kids to dogs.


Sorry, OP is the dog version of some NET on their honeymoon period teaching kids.

"Small Acts of kindness to Korean students-

So, everyday I see this kids chained by their parents, requiring them to go to hagwons. Please do some small acts of kindness, and if you see them, give them some candy or some stickers because they really are suffering. I hate to see kids so chained and confined and denied freedom. Trust me, you'll brighten their day."

Sorry, but those Korean kids are playing you for a sap. These being the same Korean kids who are goofing off at the PC Bang and then sneaking onto their parent's computers at 3AM to look at porn or sneaking a 5000 won out of their purse. The dog might not be doing that, but it's closer to the kids than it is to your idealistic fantasy.

That being said, be nice to the dog. It deserves the benefit of the doubt. Give it a toy to play with, spend some time with it, and maybe drop off an appropriately fibered blanket for it to lie on and take the chill off of the ice & cement.


Last edited by Steelrails on Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NYC_Gal 2.0



Joined: 10 Dec 2010

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Even bashers should agree with this-

Not to rehash a point to death, but saying a dog loves you & you're its biggest joy because you bring it tuna & chicken bones is like saying your Korean students love you & you're their biggest joy because you bring them candy & stickers.

Yes, I'm comparing Korean kids to dogs.


Sorry, OP is the dog version of some NET on their honeymoon period teaching kids.

"Small Acts of kindness to Korean students-

So, everyday I see this kids chained by their parents, requiring them to go to hagwons. Please do some small acts of kindness, and if you see them, give them some candy or some stickers because they really are suffering. I hate to see kids so chained and confined and denied freedom. Trust me, you'll brighten their day."

Sorry, but those Korean kids are playing you for a sap. These being the same Korean kids who are goofing off at the PC Bang and then sneaking onto their parent's computers at 3AM to look at porn or sneaking a 5000 won out of their purse. The dog might not be doing that, but it's closer to the kids than it is to your idealistic fantasy.


It's still nice, if the dog's outside all day with no real stimulation. I'm not saying that the OP is some Robin Hood or anything, but if the owners are okay with it, why not give the pooch a little love?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2013 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International