Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Piers Morgan confronts guy who wants to deport him (VIDEO)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PigeonFart

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Piers Morgan confronts guy who wants to deport him (VIDEO) Reply with quote

This video is quite funny. It's the debate between Piers Morgan and the guy who wants to have Piers Morgan deported (because Morgan wants semi-automatic guns to be banned)
The last 2 minutes of the video are quite funny (or sad) when Alex Jones mocks Piers Morgans accent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XZvMwcluEg
12ax7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a debate, it's a grown man throwing a tantrum.
Blockhead confidence

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was all planned, right? Just a lesson in how to deal with hosts whose leading questions you don't want to deal with. On radio they can cut off your mike
12ax7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blockhead confidence wrote:
It was all planned, right? Just a lesson in how to deal with hosts whose leading questions you don't want to deal with. On radio they can cut off your mike

He's basically a conman. He's now claiming his life may be in danger because of that interview. Read the article and check the video at the end.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/01/08/armed-mafia-are-stalking-us-conspiracy-peddler-alex-jones-melts-down.html
nautilus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed that, thanks for sharing! Laughing

And Piers Morgan totally deserved that hammering by the way. Certainly he was very abusive to his earlier interviewees.

He represents the archetypal british troll presenter that began to flourish in the late 80's.
visitorq

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nautilus wrote:

And Piers Morgan totally deserved that hammering by the way. Certainly he was very abusive to his earlier interviewees.

He represents the archetypal british troll presenter that began to flourish in the late 80's.

Yeah, I gotta say Alex Jones could've handled himself a lot better, given the opportunity he had (his ranting just came off poorly and made me want to switch off the interview, even though his points were correct). But Piers Morgan is a complete hack and deserves everything he gets. He should be deported for subverting the constitution.

It actually boggles my mind that we have foreigners "calling for" any such thing... Imagine trying to emigrate to Britain as an American (working as some 5th rate TV host) and "calling for" an end to the monarchy. I doubt many people there would be impressed.
Blockhead confidence

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visitorq wrote:
nautilus wrote:

Yeah, I gotta say Alex Jones could've handled himself a lot better, given the opportunity he had (his ranting just came off poorly and made me want to switch off the interview, even though his points were correct). But Piers Morgan is a complete hack and deserves everything he gets. He should be deported for subverting the constitution.

It actually boggles my mind that we have foreigners "calling for" any such thing... Imagine trying to emigrate to Britain as an American (working as some 5th rate TV host) and "calling for" an end to the monarchy. I doubt many people there would be impressed.

Naw, for your analogy to work you'd have to find something in Britain that is a) leading to thousands of innocent deaths and b) all for the sake of a something whose raison d'etre is killing.

From what I've read online, this interview with Jessie Ventura and Piers Morgan is held up as an example of how the pro-gun side should argue their points.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WxNenz7q_eY

What I don't get is why, with the exception of Switzerland, every country cited by the pro-gun side is not developed: Mexico, the Philippines, Mao's China. There's Nazi Germany, I guess, but that was such a weird time that hypotheticals about it aren't helpful. And Switzerland, I'm pretty sure, would ban guns quickly if the same pattern of massacre after massacre took hold. So ultimately, what are the pro-gun group trying to say about all other western countries?
visitorq

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naw, for your analogy to work you'd have to find something in Britain that is a) leading to thousands of innocent deaths

Okay then, knives it is.

Quote:
and b) all for the sake of a something whose raison d'etre is killing.

Not all "killing" is unjust.

Quote:
And Switzerland, I'm pretty sure, would ban guns quickly if the same pattern of massacre after massacre took hold.

Conjecture.
12ax7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visitorq wrote:

Actually, many people would agree.

...And I thought freedom of expression was protected for everyone in the US, not just citizens.
comm

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visitorq wrote:

Naw, for your analogy to work you'd have to find something in Britain that is a) leading to thousands of innocent deaths and b) all for the sake of a something whose raison d'etre is killing.

Much (most?) of the gun violence in the U.S. is between criminals, but the total intentional death rate is 3.7 per 10,000.
The fatality rate for Korean pedestrians is 4.4 per 10,000, and that's almost entirely innocents being killed.
So as a law abiding citizen, you're far, FAR more likely to be killed crossing the street in Korea than by a gun in the U.S. Where's the international outrage over that? Or is it a "we could prevent those deaths if every culture was like ours" thing when people look at the U.S.?
12ax7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

comm wrote:
visitorq wrote:

Much (most?) of the gun violence in the U.S. is between criminals, but the total intentional death rate is 3.7 per 10,000.
The fatality rate for Korean pedestrians is 4.4 per 10,000, and that's almost entirely innocents being killed.
So as a law abiding citizen, you're far, FAR more likely to be killed crossing the street in Korea than by a gun in the U.S. Where's the international outrage over that? Or is it a "we could prevent those deaths if every culture was like ours" thing when people look at the U.S.?

Going from murder to accidental deaths? Be careful, you're threading on a very slippery slope.
Fox

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

comm wrote:
visitorq wrote:

If Koreans wanted to ban personal automobiles entirely, and utilize only public transportation and bicycles for private transportation in order to reduce traffic-accident fatalities, frankly that wouldn't outrage me; they'd be making a utility calculation, and that's fine. Here's the thing, though: most people see the societal utility of personal automobile ownership as immense, so they probably won't be making that trade off any time soon. The same cannot be said of private firearm ownership.
Blockhead confidence

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visitorq wrote:
Okay then, knives it is.

Good, so back to your original point:

visitorq wrote:
Imagine trying to emigrate to Britain as an American (working as some 5th rate TV host) and "calling for" an end to knives. I doubt many people there would be impressed.

I can see the Stars and Stripes burning in the streets.

Anyway, the UK has a problem with massacres of innocents by knives? Like, stabbings of people by the mentally unhinged?

Quote:
Not all "killing" is unjust.

I belive you compared carrying guns to having a monarchy. One of the two is meant to bring about the best in a people (bullsh*t, but still what is believed).

Quote:
Conjecture.

No hypotheticals. Got it.
Blockhead confidence

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

comm wrote:

Show me a gun that isn't designed to kill, as per my part b)
Kuros

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piers Morgan nearly squandered an easy win, because he is not very good at what he does. Alex Jones is a joke, but he nearly held his own against Piers Morgan.

Nevertheless, all of Piers Morgan's positions he lays out at the beginning of that clip are reasonable and balanced. Too bad he can't host worth a damn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: