Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Piers Morgan confronts guy who wants to deport him (VIDEO)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
caniff



Joined: 03 Feb 2004
Location: All over the map

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a crackdown on kids playing "cops and robbers":

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2013/01/15/parents-furious-after-young-boys-suspended-after-playing-with-imaginary-weapon/

Additionally, be aware that Nerf toys can also get the kiddies in hot water (and cause emergency responses likely costing local taxpayers thousands):

http://www.myfoxny.com/story/20590152/elmont-high-school-under-lock-down

{I check drudgereport.com's links in the course of a typical daily site perusal because they usually don't fail to provide a measure of sensationalism and whatnot, but that's about where it ends with me.}
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Steelrails



Joined: 12 Mar 2009
Location: Earth, Solar System

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. BlackCat wrote:
Steelrails wrote:

I'm not sure you really grasp how seriously those first 10 Amendments are taken. Yes, there have been additions to our Constitution that corrected some grievous wrongs, but the thing is that if you repeal one of the 10 Amendments, then basically you cross a bridge into it being open season on the rest.

And I'm sorry, I don't see anyone throwing out phrases like "Some document written two centuries ago" or "Times change" when it comes to things like Due Process, Search & Seizure, Rights of the Accused, Quartering of Troops, etc. And let's not forget- Those things came after the Amendment on guns.

I'd sooner see a ban on semi-automatic handguns than some sort of cockamamie "Assault Weapons" ban that bans scary looking guns.


First of all (and I know this is a big statement, no sarcasm (unfortunately)) I'm not sure how seriously we should take anything written by slave owning, wife beating, rich white land owners from over 200 years ago. Not to say everything they said was wrong, much of it was right, but to consider any of it infallible is a mistake. Most of the first 10 Amendments have been proven again and again to be reasonable and for the public good by a myriad of professionals. The 2nd Amendment seems to be the only one held up with out scrutiny. I'm sorry, but I don't consider the fact that it exists to be enough to justify it's existence. And I haven't seen any reasonable arguments made otherwise. Oh, except Prince Charles is going to come to collect taxes. Because that's rational.

Having said that, fine the 2nd Amendment can continue to exist. However, the other liberties and freedoms you listed have been ratified and adapted according to the needs of society over time. Not through Constitutional means, but by the legislature and the courts. Suspects now get Miranda rights whereas at the time of the Constitution they weren't required, for example. So why can the government reassess that amendment, but not the 2nd? In fact, it was the Supreme Court that ruled the 'arms' mentioned in the Constitution meant firearms, since that word isn't used. So, actually, it was the courts that first interpreted the amendment. The Second Amendment calls for a well regulated militia. Fine, let's do that. Let's have small groups of citizens get guns and train, but keep their arms locked in the town's locker. But wait, the Supreme Court ruled on that too. Their interpretation was that individuals could carry weapons. Again, a modern day court ruling on the Constitution. But why can't they reinterpret it now? Why is that anti-American? Oh, I forgot, because it's only judicial activism and anti-Americanism when you happen to disagree with the outcome.

The first amendment has limitations. Can't yell fire in a crowded theatre. Can't spout hate speech to incite a riot. All other amendments have limitations, too. Yet, this particular one is so sacred to so many. Why is that? Interesting that so many companies, that fund organizations like the NRA, make so much money off it, isn't it? Also interesting that the same people who claim to be so individualistic toe the line on what these incredibly wealthy organizations tell them. Stay scared, America. Keep buying things, keep looking for that boogieman around every corner whether it's a Commie, an Arab or even your neighbour. You're so individualistic! I'm sure you're not being used by any of the multinational corporations to further their cause.


Good points.

Like I said, I blow with the wind on this issue and flip flop. I appreciate sensible replies to my concerns.

I'm serious. I'm really back and forth. Everytime the libertarian side of me rears up, I think back to the crap I had to deal with back home because of guns and how relieved I don't have to deal with it now.

======================================

But back to my libertarian side-

Remember the LA Riots where the Koreans were left to the mercy of rioters because the government abandoned them? Now, the Koreans certainly deserve some blame for bringing it on, but at the same time, they make a fairly convincing 2nd Amendment argument.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Privateer



Joined: 31 Aug 2005
Location: Easy Street.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does someone like Piers Morgan get a job on an American network in the first place? He's British and he's a *beep*. Or is that what the allure is? The proven success of Brit+*beep* as with Simon Cowell, Gordon Ramsey, etc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
12ax7



Joined: 07 Nov 2009

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
How does someone like Piers Morgan get a job on an American network in the first place? He's British and he's a *beep*. Or is that what the allure is? The proven success of Brit+*beep* as with Simon Cowell, Gordon Ramsey, etc.


I'm guessing when it came time to replace Larry King, they decided they didn't want someone else who'd have his friends on every other show. They also wanted someone who'd be able to go nose to nose with Bill O'Reilly on being an exuberant jerk. That's what draws the viewers these days. Plus he's got the credentials (sure, working for a British tabloid, but still...)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Suwon Fish



Joined: 11 Nov 2008
Location: Hongdae

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey, lots of posts to work through..

Just a thought. As a Brit who remembers the 1988 Firearms act I can tell you that gun crime rocketed in the UK after gun control.

I see (of course) the emotional argument for it, but there's no statistical arugment for disarming the public for it's safety. Quite the opposite actually.

Odd that anyone should hold up the UK as a model for the benefits of gun control.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
comm



Joined: 22 Jun 2010

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suwon Fish wrote:
Odd that anyone should hold up the UK as a model for the benefits of gun control.

They hate guns more than they hate violence.
It doesn't matter how high the number of assaults, rapes or burglaries are as long as no one (criminals or otherwise) gets shot.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Suwon Fish



Joined: 11 Nov 2008
Location: Hongdae

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys forgot why you have the second amendement? Your parents didn't and neither did theirs...

Google the Roosvelt memorial.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
12ax7



Joined: 07 Nov 2009

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suwon Fish wrote:
Blimey, lots of posts to work through..

Just a thought. As a Brit who remembers the 1988 Firearms act I can tell you that gun crime rocketed in the UK after gun control.

I see (of course) the emotional argument for it, but there's no statistical arugment for disarming the public for it's safety. Quite the opposite actually.

Odd that anyone should hold up the UK as a model for the benefits of gun control.


Lowest murder rate since 1978.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/jan/24/fall-uk-crime-rate-baffles-experts

Yes, you won't see the benefits of gun control overnight.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
comm



Joined: 22 Jun 2010

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12ax7 wrote:
Suwon Fish wrote:
I see (of course) the emotional argument for it, but there's no statistical arugment for disarming the public for it's safety. Quite the opposite actually.

Lowest murder rate since 1978.

And ridiculously high rates of assault and robbery.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Suwon Fish



Joined: 11 Nov 2008
Location: Hongdae

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12ax7 wrote:
Suwon Fish wrote:
Blimey, lots of posts to work through..

Just a thought. As a Brit who remembers the 1988 Firearms act I can tell you that gun crime rocketed in the UK after gun control.

I see (of course) the emotional argument for it, but there's no statistical arugment for disarming the public for it's safety. Quite the opposite actually.

Odd that anyone should hold up the UK as a model for the benefits of gun control.


Lowest murder rate since 1978.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/jan/24/fall-uk-crime-rate-baffles-experts

Yes, you won't see the benefits of gun control overnight.


Indeed. What you saw was handgun crime quadruple and all gun crime increase.

With the vast increase of gun crime in the UK after 1988, and armed crime generally, that stat needs to be looked at hard. An unarmed population doesn't make for a safer place to live. It's a delusion that can be easily established.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
12ax7



Joined: 07 Nov 2009

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suwon Fish wrote:
12ax7 wrote:
Suwon Fish wrote:
Blimey, lots of posts to work through..

Just a thought. As a Brit who remembers the 1988 Firearms act I can tell you that gun crime rocketed in the UK after gun control.

I see (of course) the emotional argument for it, but there's no statistical arugment for disarming the public for it's safety. Quite the opposite actually.

Odd that anyone should hold up the UK as a model for the benefits of gun control.


Lowest murder rate since 1978.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/jan/24/fall-uk-crime-rate-baffles-experts

Yes, you won't see the benefits of gun control overnight.


Indeed. What you saw was handgun crime quadruple and all gun crime increase.

With the vast increase of gun crime in the UK after 1988, and armed crime generally, that stat needs to be looked at hard. An unarmed population doesn't make for a safer place to live. It's a delusion that can be easily established.


Explain South Korea and Japan's very low crime rates.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stilicho25



Joined: 05 Apr 2010

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

different culture?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ghostrider



Joined: 27 Jun 2011

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The UK counts air and replica gun crime in its gun crime stats. So increases in gun crime can be misleading.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Suwon Fish



Joined: 11 Nov 2008
Location: Hongdae

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12ax7 wrote:
Suwon Fish wrote:
12ax7 wrote:
Suwon Fish wrote:
Blimey, lots of posts to work through..

Just a thought. As a Brit who remembers the 1988 Firearms act I can tell you that gun crime rocketed in the UK after gun control.

I see (of course) the emotional argument for it, but there's no statistical arugment for disarming the public for it's safety. Quite the opposite actually.

Odd that anyone should hold up the UK as a model for the benefits of gun control.


Lowest murder rate since 1978.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/jan/24/fall-uk-crime-rate-baffles-experts

Yes, you won't see the benefits of gun control overnight.


Indeed. What you saw was handgun crime quadruple and all gun crime increase.

With the vast increase of gun crime in the UK after 1988, and armed crime generally, that stat needs to be looked at hard. An unarmed population doesn't make for a safer place to live. It's a delusion that can be easily established.


Explain South Korea and Japan's very low crime rates.


My understanding is both countries have had a crime culture bone deep in society for many many hundreds of years.

Maybe gangsters are the most effective policemen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Suwon Fish



Joined: 11 Nov 2008
Location: Hongdae

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghostrider wrote:
The UK counts air and replica gun crime in its gun crime stats. So increases in gun crime can be misleading.


Crime stats in the UK have been intentionally misleading for as long as I can remember, to suit the varying needs of politicians.

Given that they are so "massaged" I'm not sure how they can reasonably used as a comparison to other crime stats in argument.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2013 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International