Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Confessions of a Fallen Away Republican

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Unposter



Joined: 04 Jun 2006

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:17 am    Post subject: Confessions of a Fallen Away Republican Reply with quote

The article is slightly old but it has an interesting take on the differences between Democrats and Republicans - the reason why an old Republican is now a Democrat.

http://bobmaconbusiness.com/?p=3506

The following is an exerpt from the article. You may want to read the entire article in the link above:

What does this have to do with politics?

As my bottom-up management philosophy matured – we called it parallel interests – it struck me that the philosophy of government held by the Republican Party was the same type of governance found in corporations – top-down. Indeed, most corporate executives are Republicans, because they are comfortable with this philosophy. The Republican Party talks about individual freedom, opportunity and free enterprise – and they believe this. But when their rhetoric is translated into actual policy, it seeks to protect the freedom and opportunity of those at the top who already have it and prevent others from achieving it. If you harbor any doubts about this fact, the recent “secretly taped” Romney fund-raising video will remove them. The Republicans even have a name for their belief that government should be top-down: They call it “trickle-down.”

That is why you see the Republicans in favor of reducing taxes on the wealthy, eliminating taxes altogether on investment income and capital gains; while resisting extension of unemployment benefits, seeking to lower the benefits of Social Security, eviscerating Medicare, Medicaid and reducing Federal aid to education. (Not to mention the repeal of Obamacare.) It is why Republicans screech that any type of regulation is an infringement on individual freedom and opportunity. It is why Republicans support voting laws that restrict the rights of those below – minorities, poor and elderly – to exercise the power of voting. The Republicans see a government that seeks to expand individual freedom and opportunity to all as a threat to their individual freedom and opportunity. This is contrary to my belief that when individual freedom and opportunity is limited to a few elite, it will soon be lost by all.

Two Parties Two Visions, One Mess

The policies and actions of the Democrats seemed to be more in parallel with my management philosophy. The Democrats offered a bottom-up philosophy of government. That the purpose of government should be to create an environment that expands individual freedom and opportunity for all. A top-down Republican government philosophy is all about power for the few at the top, while a bottom-up Democratic approach is all about power for all the people. From my perspective – and experience – when given the chance, it is the people who create the power. People are not entitled to success, but they are entitled to the opportunity to achieve success.

If you talk with those who were associated with LifeUSA, they will tell you that they achieved the type of success that could not have been imagined working at any other company. As leaders of the company, I and the other founders did not create this success; all we did was implement a bottom-up philosophy of management and reward that created the opportunity for all to experience success. When people responded to the opportunity for success and worked to achieve it, the force of this effort pushed LifeUSA to exceptional levels of success.


Today, I have an even stronger belief in the free enterprise system than I did as rock-ribbed conservative Republican in my youth. But my experience gives me an equally strong belief that if we take the same approach to government – bottom up – then the benefits, incentives and rewards of individual freedom, opportunity and free enterprise will drive the entire country to higher levels of success.

And the Moral of the Story …

Despite the excess of fringe elements of both parties, both the Republicans and Democrats have, at their core, the same objective and that is to preserve, protect and defend individual freedom, rights and opportunity. The difference is that the Republicans sincerely believe this is best achieved from the top down and that the purpose of government is not to interfere with the process and even to protect those who have made it to the top. The Democrats, on the other hand, sincerely believe the objectives are best achieved from the bottom up and that the purpose of government is to take actions that assure individual freedom, rights and opportunity start at the bottom and is available to all.

My experience in business and the success I have enjoyed has convinced me that all we seek to achieve is made more possible when we work to assure that all have the same opportunity to achieve success.

Now, after all these years, I understand why Bob’s parents would have a shrine to FDR in their home. I have learned that power comes from caring about the people, rather than in caring about the people in power.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fox



Joined: 04 Mar 2009

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter King is shocked to find out that the modern Republican character -- a character he has helped to cultivate -- is not conducive to taking care of people in desperate need. This is one of the strongest signs of being on the wrong path: when your own philosophy, applied to something you personally care about, infuriates you. I'm glad much needed aid to his constituents is important to him, it should be, but so should be the day to day suffering of citizens which isn't highlighted by a natural disaster, yet is not the less real for it.

He is right, though, that most New Yorkers (most Americans, frankly) would be insane to donate to the Republican Party. He's just wrong about the scope of the reason; Sandy aid is a mere symptom.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fox



Joined: 04 Mar 2009

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Governor Christie is pissed off too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bucheon bum



Joined: 16 Jan 2003
Location: DC area

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Peter King is shocked to find out that the modern Republican character -- a character he has helped to cultivate -- is not conducive to taking care of people in desperate need. This is one of the strongest signs of being on the wrong path: when your own philosophy, applied to something you personally care about, infuriates you. I'm glad much needed aid to his constituents is important to him, it should be, but so should be the day to day suffering of citizens which isn't highlighted by a natural disaster, yet is not the less real for it.

He is right, though, that most New Yorkers (most Americans, frankly) would be insane to donate to the Republican Party. He's just wrong about the scope of the reason; Sandy aid is a mere symptom.


I have to admit I was greatly amused by the the NY/NJ republican furor at the House. Obviously I feel bad for the victims of Sandy and am sorry they are the ones who are paying the consequences, but I can't help smiling at King's beliefs blowing up in his face so well. You're reaping what you're sowing King. I'm sure he's safe and sound in his district and has no chance of being booted in 2 years, but I'll take what I can get.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ya-ta Boy



Joined: 16 Jan 2003
Location: Established in 1994

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but I can't help smiling at King's beliefs blowing up in his face so well. You're reaping what you're sowing King


Reports are that the numbers of Hannity's viewers have declined 50% since the election.

Long-term, people cannot posit a conclusion and then cherry-pick the evidence they want to support that conclusion. Sooner or later reality has to intrude, just like the guy who jumps off a 30-story building claiming he can create his own reality and ignore the law of gravity just so long. Sooner or later, harsh reality asserts itself.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
visitorq



Joined: 11 Jan 2008

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya-ta Boy wrote:
Long-term, people cannot posit a conclusion and then cherry-pick the evidence they want to support that conclusion.

I dunno. It seems to work pretty well for you. I've yet to see logic dissuade you from a BS conclusion, ever.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nowhere Man



Joined: 08 Feb 2004

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:21 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Quote:

I dunno. It seems to work pretty well for you. I've yet to see logic dissuade you from a BS conclusion, ever.


Yer, OK, Mr. Lincoln was a sham, WWI was a scam, Surgeon General is a eugenicist guy. You chimed in here just to have a pot-shot at yata?

Let's do something we actually might agree on!

The government is a half-baked pile of corruption. Now is the season for GOP turning demo? We've all been here long enough to see the opposite wave.

I mean, the current House Republican dealy is particularly vomitous, but they get bounced in 2014...for more people bought off by Big Money.

De-centralize the House
http://www.democracyjournal.org/8/6587.php
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/washington/2010-12-13-Why435Congress13_ST_N.htm
http://www.thirty-thousand.org/
http://edition.cnn.com/2012/03/09/opinion/flynn-expand-congress/index.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sirius black



Joined: 04 Jun 2010

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visitorq wrote:
Ya-ta Boy wrote:
Long-term, people cannot posit a conclusion and then cherry-pick the evidence they want to support that conclusion.

I dunno. It seems to work pretty well for you. I've yet to see logic dissuade you from a BS conclusion, ever.

So says a person who ignores logic with regards to being a birther. Nothing wrong with being a birther. Ignoring reasoned reasons why its not likely is.
I think there is a possibility of aliens or whatever hidden away at Area 51. I have no problem with someone saying its highly unlikely and that if there were there is no way so many people could keep it secret. i accept my view is unlikely. Reason dictates its so and I respect and accept that. I don't go on pontificiating that people who say there can't be with "you got nothing' as my logical and reasoned response.
Some things that are said by people I disagree with almost always like titus I agree with. The power of AIPAC in Washington for example. Same with both of the above posters.
Doing the internet version of the schoolyard bully trying to get people to dismiss anything someone says out of hand is another matter. Show some maturity.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
visitorq



Joined: 11 Jan 2008

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirius black wrote:
visitorq wrote:
Ya-ta Boy wrote:
Long-term, people cannot posit a conclusion and then cherry-pick the evidence they want to support that conclusion.

I dunno. It seems to work pretty well for you. I've yet to see logic dissuade you from a BS conclusion, ever.

So says a person who ignores logic with regards to being a birther.

What logic? You've got nothing. Every time we've debated anything, I've defeated you (using logic) soundly.

Quote:
Doing the internet version of the schoolyard bully trying to get people to dismiss anything someone says out of hand is another matter. Show some maturity.

Thanks for the laugh. Ya-ta (who deserves every ounce of ridicule he gets, and gives more than he gets) is the victim of "online bullying"? Yeah, sure...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
caniff



Joined: 03 Feb 2004
Location: All over the map

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirius black wrote:
Some things that are said by people I disagree with almost always like titus I agree with.


It's late and I most probably shouldn't care, but can anyone help me with this?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ya-ta Boy



Joined: 16 Jan 2003
Location: Established in 1994

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it struck me that the philosophy of government held by the Republican Party was the same type of governance found in corporations – top-down. Indeed, most corporate executives are Republicans, because they are comfortable with this philosophy. The Republican Party talks about individual freedom, opportunity and free enterprise – and they believe this. But when their rhetoric is translated into actual policy, it seeks to protect the freedom and opportunity of those at the top who already have it and prevent others from achieving it.


Bulletin:

The motto of the GOP since about 1870 has been the Orwellian 'Freedom is slavery' kind of thing. (Before that, they were pretty spiffy.)

If Obama were to introduce a bill telling individuals what to wear during the day, what you were allowed to say or not say while at work, where you could afford to live, and in many cases what you had to eat for lunch, the conservatives among us would be up in arms. Literally. Justifiably so.

But since it is the private business interests who hold that power over individual lives, No problem!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2013 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International