Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pub Sch contract renewal....anyone actually not get renewed?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Squire

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't heard of a case where a school have refused to renew.
schwa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squire wrote:

I certainly have. First-hand, several instances over the years. Gross incompetence, gross failure to get along, argumentativeness, too sickly, psychotic tendencies, out-of-control alcoholism, abusing students, etc.
Scorpion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schwa wrote:
Squire wrote:
I certainly have. First-hand, numerous instances over the years. Gross incompetence, gross failure to get along, argumentativeness, too sickly, psychotic tendencies, out-of-control alcoholism, abusing students, etc.

Foreign teacher doesn't 'know his place'; F/T refused to be treated like an intern by a co-teacher half his age; F/T complained that his overtime pay was disappearing into some mysterious black hole every month; F/T failed to bow deeply to principle everyday; school found out that F/T has a Korean girlfriend; co-teacher overheard the F/T criticize something about Korea; F/T took a sick day lwhen he had the flu (without first dragging himself in to beg permission from the vice-principal; F/T declined invitation to go drinking until 2am; principle watched the MBC program on evil foreigners and sought to get revenge on the only foreigner he knew; principle wants to trade in 35 year old male teacher for cheaper and more visually appealing 25 year old female; principle hates Americans and would prefer a different nationality; F/T doesn't eat his lunch with Korean teachers; co-teacher is jealous because F/T is more popular with the students than she is, so she conspires to get rid of him; your answer to the question 'Do you like K-pop?' was negative (silly you); you grimaced when the head teacher coughed up his lung and spat it out the window, and it was observed; co-teacher would prefer a teacher closer to her own age; etc. etc. etc.

There are countless other reasons why someone might not have their contract renewed. There are also school budget considerations.

It's not always the fault of the foreign teacher. But nice try.
schwa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:

It's not always the fault of the foreign teacher.

True, but not common. Almost always, public school teachers who dont get renewed bring it on themselves.

Read my list again. All things that would get you not renewed (or fired) anywhere, & Korea isnt that different.
jvalmer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in one of the province, and about 10 people were noted renewed. I have heard stories about two of them, and meet one of them, and am glad that the guy I meet wasn't renewed. But wonder why he was renewed the previous year.
Scorpion

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schwa wrote:
Scorpion wrote:
It's not always the fault of the foreign teacher.
True, but not common. Almost always, public school teachers who dont get renewed bring it on themselves.

How on earth could you possibly know this? Thousands of Westerners have taught at Korean public schools. There is no way (whatsoever) that you are qualified to make the above statement. How do you know that foreign teachers "almost always" bring it on themselves? Do you have super cognitive powers? Access to secret government documents? If you don't you might want to avoid making such strident asumptions.

Otherwise you just sound silly.
Mr Lee's Monkey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: So true, Scorpion Reply with quote

schwa is not just mistaken, he's deluded. My PS experience was hell. My K co-teacher hated me before we ever met. She stood by my desk every morning screaming at me that this was Korea and I should go back to America. Turns out her daughter spent six horrifying months in North Dakota, so all American teachers who came to the school were in for payback. If she was in charge of renewal, well, go figure.
There are lots of stories of foreign teachers who have problems in PS through no fault of their own. For schwa to suggest it is almost always the teacher's fault is simply a load of ignorant hooey. Better to say nothing than to get it so wrong. Rolling Eyes
Smithington

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Schwa is saying is the kind of xenophobic nonsense one would expect from the Korea Times, MBC, etc...not from a Westerner who has actually worked in the Korean public school system. If he had he'd know that what he is suggesting is simply not based in reality.

I'm wondering now if Schwa is ethnically Korean? Nothing wrong with that of course. But it would help explain why he's so keen to paint foreign teachers in such a negative light.

There is an endless number of reasons why any given public school teacher doesn't get their contract renewed.
Soldier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:05 am    Post subject: Contract Cancellation Reply with quote

I can think of one way on can get fired without the school's embarrassment......a psychiatrist. I see that here in Korea, the doctor's word stands very strong in the eyes of the parents. All the school has to do is refer the teacher to the doctor, and bingo, the school has an out. So, it's ba-bye teacher, before the end of the contract, perhaps a couple months in for that matter.
Soldier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:10 am    Post subject: Andrew Chon Reply with quote

I just re read you first post on this topic, I see the answer not...sorry.

Yeah...I guess the paperwork is a mountain...I can see this only happening if the teacher 'goes south' on the school or Korea.

Cheers.
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: So true, Scorpion Reply with quote

Mr Lee's Monkey wrote:
There are lots of stories of foreign teachers who have problems in PS through no fault of their own.

Come now...very few if any people are going to admit that they were fired due to their own faults.

This is not to say that all such stories are false only that they can not be used as any kind of proof whatsoever either for one side or the other.
shostahoosier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of a guy who has been canned (as in not renewed) twice.

He is a young (20s), white, British male and was shocked that his first public school replaced him with someone that was older and not very attractive. For some reason he is convinced that school would still prefer him if they had the option.

His second public school chose not to renew him as well after he demanded extra pay for camps and refused to waste his time desk warming. I wouldn't disagree with either of those demands if he had made them more than the Friday before camp week began. (He got neither)

Listening to him you would think he is the victim of some crazy, vindictive Korean conspiracy, but knowing him, I'm pretty sure the issue is that he is arrogant, self-centered, and often feels entitled.

The guy is completely oblivious to his interpersonal issues.

He eventually ended up at a hagwon.
Smithington

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: So true, Scorpion Reply with quote

TheUrbanMyth wrote:
Mr Lee's Monkey wrote:
There are lots of stories of foreign teachers who have problems in PS through no fault of their own.

Come now...very few if any people are going to admit that they were fired due to their own faults. This is not to say that all such stories are false only that they can not be used as any kind of proof whatsoever either for one side or the other.

True, but that doesn't take away from the absurdity of Shwa's statement. It is the height of naivity to think that only incompetent teachers don't get renewed. Or that if you do your job well you will automatically be renewed for another year. Such silly assumptions can be pardoned from newbies, but not from anyone who has been here a while and knows the ropes.

There are a myriad of reasons why a good teacher might still not have her contract renewed.
Soldier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Relationships Reply with quote

I think much of the decision comes down to personalities and relationships; those with the bodd, the principal, and the students. This appears to be the most important factor.

Anyone see differently on that issue?
shostahoosier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: So true, Scorpion Reply with quote

Smithington wrote:
TheUrbanMyth wrote:
Mr Lee's Monkey wrote:

Come now...very few if any people are going to admit that they were fired due to their own faults. This is not to say that all such stories are false only that they can not be used as any kind of proof whatsoever either for one side or the other.

True, but that doesn't take away from the absurdity of Shwa's statement. It is the height of naivity to think that only incompetent teachers don't get renewed. Or that if you do your job well you will automatically be renewed for another year. Such silly assumptions can be pardoned from newbies, but not from anyone who has been here a while and knows the ropes.

There are a myriad of reasons why a good teacher might still not have her contract renewed.

I agree. I know lots of great teachers who just got bad situations or their school lost funding. Sadly enough, the EPIK system doesn't do the best job of retaining great teachers. They just hire and churn the next batch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: