Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pub Sch contract renewal....anyone actually not get renewed?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucas wrote:
Quote:
lukeirl wrote:
I know one guy who didn't get renewed in Gangwon-do, because his co-teacher didn't like him. The principal did like him and tried to get the rejection overturned but it had already gone through the office.

But that's the only time I've heard it happening. I know alcoholics and the insane have been renewed in Gangwon-do in the past

The co-teacher is usually not your boss. I don't think she decides. The principle is the boss and I'm pretty sure rehiring involves the English Superintendent or Supervisor.

It depends on how much work/how lazy the principal is.....

I know of one situation where the P just said to the CT 'do you like teacher X?'

Okay you do the paper work and I'll stamp it.....

Or there is the 'committee style meeting' where the P/head teacher/CT and maybe 1-2 other teachers have a coffee and review your performance. Of course the P has the final say - but a lot has to do with the dynamics of the situation.

Case in point - I know of another situation where the CT (who was older than the P) HATED the GET (rightly so) - P was happy for the GET to stay another year. CT put their foot down and said I cannot be in the room with that person for another year!

P backed down - GET 'quit' their job.

People who think that it is near impossible not to be re-signed are wrong. It does happen but when it does happen it is not widely talked about 'on the record' schools are like families’ - they don’t like to air their dirty laundry in public.

Ah ok then. Just make sure you tell your students who are good at English that they are dropping you just to give the school some embarassment on the way out. Ha ha.
ippy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schwa wrote:
Not headline news but maybe of interest in this thread:

Gangwondo announced last week that it has halted its planned reduction of foreign teachers. It figures to sustain current numbers that now reach almost every student in the province. That amounts to quite a number of us. We are making a difference. Good call, POE!

But you still have to be a reasonably good teacher to extend.

Of extreme interest to me. Smile Sorry to ask this in public, i cant send or receive private messages, but looking to return to korea and have a very very strong preference for public school in Gangwon Do (i love my mountains). Since you live in the area, I was just wondering if i could trouble you for any info on potential contacts for placements in the region? Im all qualified up (tefled, experienced (7 years - 1.5 in Jeollanam Do), apostilled) and looking for a september start.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: