Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Commuting to Anyang

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
augustine

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:22 am    Post subject: Commuting to Anyang Reply with quote

I live in Korea presently. I'm going to take a job around Anyang station. However, I don't want to live in Anyang and would prefer to commute since the hours are low. Maybe, I could relocate to Anyang but I don't know the area well and want to be close to Itaewon. I don't like the outskirts. I want to be close to Itaewon.

1) I currently live in Itaewon and prefer not to stray too far from here. Are there any buses that go from around Itaewon to Anyang station? I can handle a one hour commute, but an hour and a half might change my thinking. As an aside, I have the key money.

2) Where are the more preferable areas to live in near Anyang? Seoul Station? 40 minute commute, not bad, and I'm close to there anyway.

3) If I have to move, Gasan Digital Complex, Guro, Sindorim?

Does anyone have any input on these locations, how they are living wise, or what is the best possible location if I want to commute to Anyang station?

Again, I don't want to live in Anyang, and I'd rather commute. But, if anyone can tell me the quickest way to get to Anyang station by bus, with the closest location to Itaewon, I would certainly appreciate it. Via subway, it's just not doable.

Thanks.

Last edited by augustine on Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:45 am; edited 1 time in total
jammo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. go to google maps
2. click 'get directions'
3. in the 'from' put the place you are considering
4. in the 'to' put 'Anyang' or '안양'

I use it often when I want to go somewhere.
you can even choose which mode of transport/fewest transfers etc.
Fantastic site.
Did that help?
faeriehazel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The closest to Itaewon you could live would probably be Yangjae. There are buses that connect Yangjae to Anyang. Or you could try living near Yongsan station - close to Itaewon but also is on the #1 line.
augustine

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, yes, thank you fellows. I was thinking Somewhere around Yongsan or Seoul station. I think my best bet is to just be near line one but I need to figure out the bus options. How long do buses from Yangjae take? How is living around Yongsan station, and are there any neighborhoods anywhere where one might recommend looking in the general areas where I'm speaking of? I'm guessing it's expensive around Yongsan station, though I haven't explored it much.

Also, line one splits at Guro... am I right to assume that it's like line four at Samgakgi, where it's a crap shoot whether you get the train headed for Sadang, Ansan, or Oido? So there will be one train headed for Incheon then another headed for Sinchang, or wherever they stop?
northway

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

augustine wrote:
Yes, yes, thank you fellows. I was thinking Somewhere around Yongsan or Seoul station. I think my best bet is to just be near line one but I need to figure out the bus options. How long do buses from Yangjae take? How is living around Yongsan station, and are there any neighborhoods anywhere where one might recommend looking in the general areas where I'm speaking of? I'm guessing it's expensive around Yongsan station, though I haven't explored it much.

Also, line one splits at Guro... am I right to assume that it's like line four at Samgakgi, where it's a crap shoot whether you get the train headed for Sadang, Ansan, or Oido? So there will be one train headed for Incheon then another headed for Sinchang, or wherever they stop?

Kind of, but it's not nearly as bad as Samgakji if you're just trying to get to Anyang, as any non-Incheon train (of which there are many) will get you where you're going. I'm pretty sure there's no imaginary line ala Sadang where half the trains stop.
augustine

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, thanks, I made the title more relevant. What would the better places to live near line one if you're commuting to Anyang station? I'm mostly concerned with western food options, I don't like Korean food. I have lived in Itaewon for a while, but I might have to make some sacrifices in order to avoid a horrible commute. How are the areas around Guro, Sindorim or maybe Gasan Digital Complex? Something around Seoul station would be ideal, and I know the area well. I've been researching housing options in these areas but any input I may be overlooking would be appreciated.
faeriehazel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to work near Sindorim. Pretty dreary neighborhood. Guro is about the same. Gasan is where all the shopping outlets are, lots of chain restaurants. I would stick to the Yongsan area if I were you.

Also, trying to catch a train at Guro going towards Anyang is no different than trying to catch a train at Yongsan, in that you have you wait for a Suwon/Chonan/Shinchang bound train, which come slightly less frequently than Inchon bound trains.
northway

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend trying to get a place near one of the express train stops. If you timed your commute for one of those you could get away with being on the train for like fifteen minutes and always having a seat.
faeriehazel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, forgot about the express trains.

On second thought, the express trains don't make a huge difference if you live near Yongsan, Guro, etc. - they stop at every stop between Yongsan and Guro on their way to Cheonan. There is an express train from Seoul Station that runs almost straight from Seoul St. to Anyang with only one stop in between.
augustine

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are these express trains you speak of? I didn't know about those... Is that the ktx at Seoul station? And one runs from Seoul station to anyang station? How do I find information on that?
augustine

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are these express trains you speak of? I didn't know about those... Is that the ktx at Seoul station? And one runs from Seoul station to anyang station? How do I find information on that?
faeriehazel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Express trains are just subway trains that make fewer stops. They usually leave from the major stations - on the #1 line they usually leave from either Yongsan or Seoul St. They all make a stop at Anyang since it is a major station, but they skip smaller stops in-between (most of them skip the stops between Gasan Digital Complex and Anyang).

They often leave from a different platform from the regular trains - you just have to read the signs carefully. In Korean the express trains are called 급행 - geup-haeng. So for example, at Yongsan St. just look for the platform labelled 천안 급행 열차 (Cheonan Express Train).

ETA - they leave from different platforms but they are still subway trains, so the express train platforms are usually right next to the normal train platforms. You don't have go looking for the KTX platforms or anything.
daeguowl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay in Itaewon. Take bus 421 from Itaewon to Namyoung and then the subway to Anyang.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: