Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone in Korea teaching a subject other than ESL?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Souperstition

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been hired at a school that happened to be looking for a music teacher.. I'm not sure how I got linked up with the school, because I'm about 90% sure that my recruiter had no idea I was being considered for anything other than ESL (I didn't even find out until my interview with the school). I think it was just an accident or a pretty big coincidence. My degree is in music performance, so I guess when the school saw this they decided they wanted an interview.

My schedule will be music in the morning (taught in English) followed by some afternoon ESL classes. I'm not sure how typical this sort of thing is, but since the question was asked I wanted to weigh in. Smile
PRagic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the top universities have loads of foreign professors teaching across the entire spectrum of disciplines. Most are in regular departments and some are in GSIS. I've met fine arts, nano-technology,computer science, political science, law, education, economics, geography, archiology, international relations, foreign language, international business, and even musicolgy and dance professors to name some off the top of my head.

And the universities are intent on hiring even more. If you have your Ph.D. from an accredited university in hand along with a few peer reviewed and ranked publications, go for it. The more, the merrier! Salaries are generally competitive, there is solid financial research support, and good allowances for conference travel.
smurfetta

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swashbuckler wrote:
Questions for the people teaching in Int schools here: how stiff was the competition? Did you already have teaching experience in your own country? A masters degree? Did the name recognition of your degree matter? Were you recruited through ISS or international school fairs overseas or locally? Do the pay and benefits make up for the extra paperwork and responsibilities involved? Are there any spoiled brats in your classes who don't give a toss?

To teach at a reputable international school you need to have at least a teaching certificate in your subject area. The top tier schools want masters on top of that. A lower tier school will hire teachers straight out of teacher's college. The best way to get an international teaching job is either to go to a fair (Search Associates etc..) or sign up for tieonline . If you are British trained (PGCE) you could also look at the tes.co.uk. The better the school,the stiffer the competition. Plus, they usually only hire at fairs.
Canadian Club

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm at a top tier school- I found the job through SEARCH Associates. I didn't have home-country experience, but I did have international experience, and IB training. I didn't go to a particularly famous school for my degree, but I am certified to teach in my province in Canada.

For what it's worth, I know people who have been recruited through ISS and direct applications.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: