Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Couple Jobs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ignacio10

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Couple Jobs Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

My girlfriend and I have been talking to various recruiters at present and we have been advised on occasions not to opt for a couple job contract together, for various reasons. E.g. the availability of couple contracts and being in the same school means we won't get the same days off.

After talking to some friends who work and live in SK, they have also warned us not to go for couple positions reiterating what was mentioned above, we can be rest assured that if we both work in the same school we won't get the same days off. So say for example we wanted to take 3 or 4 days off and go somewhere over summer/winter break, the only way this would be feasible, is if we worked in separate schools.

We have also been told that if we got jobs in two different schools one of us could ask for housing allowance and the other could get an apartment to live in? Is this correct? (Don't want to sound like a money grabber, but it's what we have been told!)

We would like further advice from you lovely people on here Very Happy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated Smile

Emmet
fishstick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are pros and cons to both. You could apply both ways and see what you like best. I know of couples that took jobs at the same school and it was difficult for them to get days off together --but not always impossible. I would ask the schools you're interviewing with what their policy is. Also, read the contracts.

You can always ask for a housing allowance instead of an apartment, but not all schools will allow this. Again, I would just ask the school when they interview you.

I think the main con of going for separate positions is that you might wind up in jobs that are far apart. The main pro of working at the same company is that you'll be in the same area.
PRagic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't take a couples job. Why? Two schools means two apartments or, even better, two housing allowances and maybe key money. Best option would be to get jobs close to each other with similar scheds, preferably late afternoon to early evening. You could enjoy the nightlife and maybe get something going on the side in the a,m.

If one place screws one of you over, one can cover the other. If you both get screwed over by the same place, you're both, well, screwed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: