Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

They be blazing marijuana in North Korea!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
everything-is-everything

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: They be blazing marijuana in North Korea!!! Reply with quote

Shocked Apparently it's true!

Quote:
You might be surprised by what we�re about to say: the most tight-lipped, conservative and controlling country in the world is also a weed-smoker�s paradise. Despite the North Korean government�s deadly serious stance on the use and distribution of hard drugs like crystal meth (which has its own inauspicious legacy in the North), marijuana is reportedly neither classified illegal or in any way policed. The herb of the bohemian and free is not even considered a drug. As a result, it�s the discerning North Korean gentleman�s roll-up of choice, suggesting that for weed smokers at least, North Korea might just be paradise after all.

http://www.nknews.org/2013/01/struggle-is-the-enemy-weed-is-the-remedy-the-truth-about-marijuana-in-north-korea/

Laughing
northway

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess this explains why so many defectors have been returning to the arms of the fatherly leader.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey it's relaxing. Relax yourselves.
Threequalseven

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Died By Bear wrote:
Hey it's relaxing. Relax yourselves.

Very Happy I'd expect nothing less from a fellow citizen of the Gitche Gumme shores.

Anyway, this is quite surprising. I was always under the impression that authoritarian governments didn't want people smoking up. You'd think they'd want their citizens to be uptight and stiff. But who knows? Maybe this is how people keep it together up there? I can just imagine it: "No electricity today, huh? *inhale* Eh, no big deal." Laughing
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard stories of the elusive NORK sensimilla chronicus that grows in secret greenhouses for export located in Hamgyongbuko (that's the most northern province below Russia) that are run by experts in their field.

Of course I doubt the general population ever gets a hold of that grade.
12ax7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Died By Bear wrote:
I've heard stories of the elusive NORK sensimilla chronicus that grows in secret greenhouses for export located in Hamgyongbuko (that's the most northern province below Russia) that are run by experts in their field.

Of course I doubt the general population ever gets a hold of that grade.

I doubt they would bother. Pound per pound, the profits just don't compare with meth, which they are known to produce.
everything-is-everything

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Threequalseven wrote:
Maybe this is how people keep it together up there? I can just imagine it: "No electricity today, huh? *inhale* Eh, no big deal." Laughing

I actually think you're on to something here.

Nothing cures boredom better than weed. It's also a great tool for shutting out the stress of the outside world although it can also increase this stress considerably.
le-paul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its not so unusual. i read somewhere that south korea used the herb openly in the early half of last century as a substitute for tobacco, as it was so expensive to buy and difficult to produce.
12ax7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

le-paul wrote:
its not so unusual. i read somewhere that south korea used the herb openly in the early half of last century as a substitute for tobacco, as it was so expensive to buy and difficult to produce.

It was not uncommon until 1975, when the government began cracking down in order to suppress the youth movement and silence artists.
everything-is-everything

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

12ax7 wrote:
le-paul wrote:

It was not uncommon until 1975, when the government began cracking down in order to suppress the youth movement and silence artists.

But where's the youth movement in North Korea?

I mean if weed is so anti-establishment then why do the North Korean authorities condone it?
comm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

everything-is-everything wrote:

I mean if weed is so anti-establishment then why do the North Korean authorities condone it?

Why use TV as the opiate of the masses when you can use "opiates" as the opiates of the masses?
everything-is-everything

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

comm wrote:

Why use TV as the opiate of the masses when you can use "opiates" as the opiates of the masses?

What?

I know you're trying to sound clever but it didn't really work out for you.

Have you ever partaken in the herb? Marijuana is far from an opiate.
comm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

comm wrote:

What?

I know you're trying to sound clever but it didn't really work out for you.

Have you ever partaken in the herb? Marijuana is far from an opiate.

It would have made more sense quoting Marx more directly. If there's no religion (or significant TV for that matter) to be the "opium of the people" then you need something to take its place. Marijuana obviously isn't an opiate, it certainly serves the same purpose as in the metaphor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: