Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'Starving' North Korean parents 'eating their children'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazyfingers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: 'Starving' North Korean parents 'eating their children' Reply with quote

Quote:
A starving father in North Korea has been executed for murdering his two children for food, reports from the secretive state have claimed.

A 'hidden famine' in the farming provinces of North and South Hwanghae is believed to have killed up to 10,000 people and there are fears that incidents of cannibalism have risen in the country.

The grim story is just one that has come to light, as residents are battling against starvation after a drought hit farms and shortages were compounded by party officials who were confiscating food.

According to the Daily Mail, North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has spent huge amount on two rocket launches, despite reports of food shortages in the country and concerns that 10,000 people have died in a famine.

Undercover reporters from Asia Press told the Sunday Times that one man dug up his grandchild's corpse and ate it, and another man boiled his own child for food.

An informant said a father killed his eldest daughter while his wife was away on business and then killed his son because he was the witness to the murder.

When his wife returned the man told her they had 'meat', but she became suspicious and contacted officials who discovered part of the children's bodies.

Undercover reporters said food was confiscated from the two provinces and given to the residents in Pyongyang.

The Sunday Times also quoted an official of the ruling Korean Worker''s party as saying that 'in a village in Chongdan county, a man who went mad with hunger boiled his own child, ate his flesh and was arrested'.

United Nations officials visited the area during a state-sponsored trip, but local reporters said it is unlikely they were shown the famine-hit areas.

It is not the first time that reports of cannibalism have come to light in the country.

In May last year, the South Korean state-run Korean Institute for National Unification said that one man was executed after eating part of a colleague and then trying to sell the remains as mutton, the report added.

indianexpress.com
newb

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

We're not animals!

I'm speechless......
kinship

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am skeptical but people do crazy things when they get past the point of hunger and enter the starvation stage.
alongway

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
According to the Daily Mail,

yeah, that's the end of the thread..
fermentation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I met a defector who said she human meat once.
wishfullthinkng

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wouldn't doubt this at all. what an awful state of life. hopefully the kim regime get what they deserve one day.
catman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is there are no stray cats/dogs in NK.
kinship

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

catman wrote:
My guess is there are no stray cats/dogs in NK.

There aren't any pets either from what I have been told.
Titus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: