Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

delete
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abright1dea

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: delete Reply with quote

delete

Last edited by abright1dea on Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
crescent

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What research have you done about your host city?
What research have you done about your workplace?
How do you feel about ageism, sexism, and xenophobia crossing into racism at times?
If you're overweight, how would you feel about being stared at, talked about openly, or scoffed at openly?
How would you feel about not being able to get things like plums, raspberries, and nectarines except for 2 weeks per year when they are in season?
How would you feel about not being able to get things like limes or shallots at all?
How do you feel about constant noise pollution? The large possibility of having noisy neighbours that keep you awake at night?

Last edited by crescent on Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
abright1dea

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What research have you done about your host city? I have just began the process. I think I want to be in either Seoul or Busan, simply because they're large cities. Open to suggestions though.

What research have you done about your workplace? Just reading on this board. Sounds like there are good and bad experiences and the bad ones are horrible.

How do you feel about ageism, sexism, and xenophobia crossing into racism at times? Obviously they bother me, but I think I could put up with subtle prejudices for a year.

If you're overweight, how would you feel about being stared at, talked about openly, or scoffed at openly? Luckily, I'm not overweight.

How would you feel about not being able to get things like plums, raspberries, and nectarines except for 2 weeks per year when they are in season? Fine.

How would you feel about not being able to get things like limes or shallots at all? Limes? Really? I guess that's fine.

I think what really concerns me is that I like my "Western" or "American" bubble. Here in Europe, I have noticed that my friends are all Native English speakers and that I haven't really made effort to make friends with the locals. I don't know if it'd be the same in Korea, but I think it could be. I've also read that this is a BAD thing, but to be honest, it sounds scary to just dive right into being friends with a bunch of people from a different culture. To what extent is it okay to stay in one's bubble in Korea? Will I not last? Of course I am coming to have the experience, but if anything, being in Europe has taught me that I have my own limits and things I want to preserve about myself. I admit I'm a little ethnocentric when it comes to the US (which absolutely surprised me, and i didn't even realize until I left). Does anyone else feel the same? I will make the effort, of course, to be respectful and integrate, but I guess all the complaining on this board about Korean culture really makes me hesitant.
crescent

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's easier for foreign women to make friends with the locals. You may have to weed through a few odd ones first. It's entirely possible to maintain a bubble as well.

How do you feel about constant noise pollution? The large possibility of having noisy neighbours that keep you awake at night?
How about living in a small box, close to others living in small boxes, with very little green space around.
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everybody clashes in all cultures. And most clash within their own culture!
Some folks click and others don't! If you find yourself stressed or clashed...move on to other friends, city or job!
Dodge7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha female--my kind of woman. If you don't take crap, especially some low lives trying to steal your money, then you are going to have a rough time in Korea.
The overall disrespect you will face on a daily basis will eat away at you. Kids will banmal you and even do it in front of the other Korean teachers and they won't stick up for you.
People talking about you on the streets in front of your face.
Getting groped on the crowded subways. It WILL happen to you if you commute during rush hour and live near Seoul or Busan.
You are on the same rank as a Mexican hired farmhand in California in the States. I guess you'll just have to see it all for yourself to believe.
Good luck!

Last edited by Dodge7 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
kyosuro

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Dodge 7. I am a white female and have lived and taught in Korean universities for the last four years. Last year I studied Korean language enough to be able to generally understand what a majority of Koreans around me are saying, and when the comprehension started clicking in my brain I was shocked by how much petty, disrespectful gossip there is in Korea. Every Korean doesn't speak like that, but as Dodge 7 explained, kind people won't stick up for you or tell rude people to be quiet. Everyone just looks the other way and hopes it won't come near them. Koreans are terrified of becoming victims of bullying.

If you stand up for yourself and refuse to be treated badly, then it is possible that a spiteful Korean will take your photo and put it on the Korean internet along with descriptions of how "bad" of a person you are, and then it will spread all over the city where you live, and a campaign of bullying will begin. It happened to me. Koreans think of themselves as one group, and non-Koreans are outside that group and therefore not worthy of the same respect. Also, if a Korean says that a foreigner in Korea did something "bad", a majority of Koreans will automatically believe it, and those who don't will be too scared to go against the majority, so they will be silent.
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Become friendly with the older ladies in your neighborhood and you'll be fine. Dress well and you'll get more respect.
nautilus

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodge7 wrote:
Alpha female--my kind of woman. If you don't take crap, especially some low lives trying to steal your money, then you are going to have a rough time in Korea.
The overall disrespect you will face on a daily basis will eat away at you. Kids will banmal you and even do it in front of the other Korean teachers and they won't stick up for you.
Getting groped on the crowded subways. It WILL happen to you if you commute during rush hour and live near Seoul or Busan.
You are on the same rank as a Mexican hired farmhand in California in the States. I guess you'll just have to see it all for yourself to believe.
Good luck!

kyosuro wrote:
I agree with Dodge 7. I am a white female and have lived and taught in Korean universities for the last four years. Last year I studied Korean language enough to be able to generally understand what a majority of Koreans around me are saying, and when the comprehension started clicking in my brain I was shocked by how much petty, disrespectful gossip there is in Korea. Every Korean doesn't speak like that, but as Dodge 7 explained, kind people won't stick up for you or tell rude people to be quiet. Everyone just looks the other way and hopes it won't come near them. Koreans are terrified of becoming victims of bullying.

If you stand up for yourself and refuse to be treated badly, then it is possible that a spiteful Korean will take your photo and put it on the Korean internet along with descriptions of how "bad" of a person you are, and then it will spread all over the city where you live, and a campaign of bullying will begin. It happened to me. Koreans think of themselves as one group, and non-Koreans are outside that group and therefore not worthy of the same respect. Also, if a Korean says that a foreigner in Korea did something "bad", a majority of Koreans will automatically believe it, and those who don't will be too scared to go against the majority, so they will be silent.

Two good pieces of advice right there.
actionjackson

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nautilus wrote:
Dodge7 wrote:
Good luck!

kyosuro wrote:

I would agree with this. And just to add my two cents, as an American who spent 2 1/2 years in Europe and almost 4 here, if you're having issues in Europe, you're definitely going to have issues here.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Will I clash with Korean culture? Reply with quote

abright1dea wrote:
The Subway checkers didn't have guns or cuffs and could't arrest you. It is strange to me, where I live in Europe now, that a society can function like this.

Why would anyone in a civilized society need cuffs and a gun to enforce the rules?

I suspect that you may have problems adjusting (anywhere) in Asia outside of Manila.

nero

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="actionjackson"]
nautilus wrote:
Dodge7 wrote:
Good luck!

kyosuro wrote:

I would agree with this. And just to add my two cents, as an American who spent 2 1/2 years in Europe and almost 4 here, if you're having issues in Europe, you're definitely going to have issues here.[/
quote]

Just chipping in -- I agree with Dodge and kyosuro.
It can be incredibly frustrating here. You wil have to leave your sense of entitlement at home, because you are right on the bottom of the food chain here.
There is no 'fairness.'
abright1dea

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Will I clash with Korean culture? Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
abright1dea wrote:
The Subway checkers didn't have guns or cuffs and could't arrest you. It is strange to me, where I live in Europe now, that a society can function like this.

Why would anyone in a civilized society need cuffs and a gun to enforce the rules?

I suspect that you may have problems adjusting (anywhere) in Asia outside of Manila.

I just meant that they weren't real cops.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Will I clash with Korean culture? Reply with quote

abright1dea wrote:
ttompatz wrote:
abright1dea wrote:

I just meant that they weren't real cops.

That begs for a dig in the ribs about people coming from a police state trying to enter civilized societies.

Why does it need to be a "real cop" with a badge, gun and cuffs to provide enforcement or write a ticket? What would give you the right to refuse? (rhetorical questions)

Life abroad is not like home.
Being alpha and female is not a good combination in Asia.
Adjusting to a male dominated society may come as a shock to you.

Misogyny is alive, well, and mostly legal in Asia.
There is a fine art to being female and successful in Asia.

Welcome to "Over the rainbow land" there Dorothy.

Old fat expat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks like it will be a wonderful thread!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: