Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My landlord sold my jutaek without even telling me...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adventurer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:04 am    Post subject: My landlord sold my jutaek without even telling me... Reply with quote

Yesterday, I came back from work and some hours later some random people rang the door bell wanting to be let in. I wondered if my landlord sold the place. I called his son-in-law, and he said he called the landlord and found out my place was sold. Where does that place me legally in regards to having to stay or my key money?

I'm NOT a happy camper.
Lazio

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It�s a common practice to buy apartments and such with tenants living in them. Especially when there is a jeonse tenant so the new owner only needs to pay the difference between the market value of the place and the jeonse deposit. The new owner will be responsible to pay back your key money.
It is really a cunt move from the owner not to tell you anything about the whole thing though. Head down to the budongsan which handled your contract and figure out what is the situation. As far as I can tell you should be able to complete the rental contract.
You have to get your contract modified by the budongsan and have the new owner�s information written on it as he/she is the one who holds your key money now. Not sure if you have to register this edited contract with the Gu office but better safe than sorry and it really isn�t much of a hassle.

I could be wrong though as I don�t know any if the details.

Last edited by Lazio on Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:17 am; edited 1 time in total
highstreet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happened to me. You can sign a new contract with the new owner, but it's unnecessary.
Adventurer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

highstreet wrote:
This happened to me. You can sign a new contract with the new owner, but it's unnecessary.

So if I don't sign a new contract what happens? I didn't sign a one year.
I signed up for a 9 month lease. I'm done technically by August. I assume I must stay as a tenant under the new landlord. Anyway, it was a very bad move by the old landlord not to tell me, and it was not nice of the new landlords to simply show up without me having any advanced warning. I would want to be prepared if guests are coming over, you know?
slothrop

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by slothrop on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your area slated for redevelopment in the future?
dairyairy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slothrop wrote:
it's wierd that someone bought the place without ever seeing it.

Maybe they saw it when the tenant was not there. That's not kosher, either.
Adventurer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Died By Bear wrote:
Is your area slated for redevelopment in the future?

No that I'm aware of. The son-in-law of the previous landlord said that as far as he understand I'd finish up my lease based on the old terms, and I would pay the new landlords. However, how would have the new landlords just expected me to open to them when the visit was not expected, and I didn't even know the place was sold? It seems like strange behavior.
schwa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The terms of the lease you signed should still be binding.

I dont know about any rules regarding unannounced visits when a place is on the market, but I do know its common practice. Consequently they dont expect everything to be pristine, as Korean families often live pretty messy too. I know this from my own house-hunting experience when I'd show up unannounced with my real estate agent to view places.

My last place, I got a knock on the door one morning, was informed my place had been sold, & some strangers poked around for a few minutes. I was in month-by-month post-lease mode at that point & I was given one month's notice. They were relatives of the new owner, otherwise two month's notice would have been required.

For me anyway, it worked out brilliantly. A few days later my agent showed me an awesome place.

[/i]

Last edited by schwa on Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
highstreet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adventurer wrote:
highstreet wrote:

I signed up for a 9 month lease. I'm done technically by August. I assume I must stay as a tenant under the new landlord. Anyway, it was a very bad move by the old landlord not to tell me, and it was not nice of the new landlords to simply show up without me having any advanced warning. I would want to be prepared if guests are coming over, you know?

The original contract is binding. Everything is the same.

What bothered me was that people warn against renting a house from a person who has incurred a large amount of debt. But the owner can sell the building and transfer your deposit to the buyer without even asking. What if the new owners also have piles of debt? It's confusing.
Adventurer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

highstreet wrote:
Adventurer wrote:
highstreet wrote:

The original contract is binding. Everything is the same.

What bothered me was that people warn against renting a house from a person who has incurred a large amount of debt. But the owner can sell the building and transfer your deposit to the buyer without even asking. What if the new owners also have piles of debt? It's confusing.

That's what I thought, but do ya think it's too hard to expect some courtesy? I mean having the new landlords show up without having that communicated by the original landlord is ridiculous and bad behavior.
Even his son-in-law said that; he apologized. I had a feeling he wanted to sell the place. So in a way, I wasn't shocked that he sold it, but he could have informed me rather than having new landlords insist they come see my place when I don't know who the heck they are and could be missionaries for all I know. I would at least tell the tenant if I owned the place and tell the tenant after the sail that it was sold. You don't just leave your tenant in the dark like that. I'm going to meet with him next week to sort this all out, but I was lived yesterday. A few pints and live music did me some good.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you get the harem girls out the back door in time for this visit? Razz
Adventurer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Died By Bear wrote:
Did you get the harem girls out the back door in time for this visit? Razz

I told the dancing girls to stay in the closet while I talked to the landlord. J/K. Anyway, I'm going to talk to my broker who speaks somewhat reasonable English. Her English isn't great, but my Korean has improved a lot. The new landlord wanted to visit today and told the bar keep below me she wanted to. That's like a few hours notice. I called the former landlord's English speaking son-in-law that it's pointless since it's Sunday night meaning I wasn't expecting it, and I'm supposed to meet the previous landlord next week with the son-in-law and talk about things as we agreed on the phone yesterday, and she can come then if she wants. And I want to talk to my broker. I do things in a more methodical way and unannounced stuff won't work for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: