Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do I need to use my original CBC?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zanniati

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Do I need to use my original CBC? Reply with quote

Some quick questions.

I'm American. I just got my CBC and I'm going to get it apostilled and all that. When I send it to Korea, can I send a notarized and apostilled COPY of my CBC rather than my original? Continuing along that same line, is it possible to then basically reuse that CBC if I were to apply for a different job (for any reason, assuming that it's within 90 days of the CBC issuance)?

Going just a little further, if I have a document notarized, does that notary at some point expire? For example, if I were to get a copy of my diploma notarized and apostilled, and then a year later tried to use that for a different job, would it be accepted?

Thanks!
ttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Do I need to use my original CBC? Reply with quote

Zanniati wrote:
Some quick questions.

I'm American. I just got my CBC and I'm going to get it apostilled and all that. When I send it to Korea, can I send a notarized and apostilled COPY of my CBC rather than my original? Continuing along that same line, is it possible to then basically reuse that CBC if I were to apply for a different job (for any reason, assuming that it's within 90 days of the CBC issuance)?

Going just a little further, if I have a document notarized, does that notary at some point expire? For example, if I were to get a copy of my diploma notarized and apostilled, and then a year later tried to use that for a different job, would it be accepted?

Thanks!

When you are applying for jobs (sending out your resume and cover letter) you should use a low resolution scan of the originals (cbc and degree copy) with the apostille.

When you finally are ready to sign on the dotted line you will need to submit the originals (with apostille) to immigration.

The CBC has a shelf life of 6 calendar months from date of issue by the FBI.
6 months + 1 day and you need a new one done.

Once it is submitted to immigration it will be GONE and NOT recoverable; full stop. Immigration will NOT return any document that you submit to them.

For your degree: use a certified true copy of the degree and the apostille is affixed to the COPY and NOT the original degree parchment.
These do not expire so you can get 3-4 of them done at the same time (you will need 2 for the application process: 1 for immigration before you get to Korea and 1 for the MOE after you get to Korea).

FastForward

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little off topic but pertaining to the CBC. I currently have my F4 visa and have never submitted a CBC to the MOE. I'm coming back to Korea and going through the recruiter process. I was informed that I could possibly need a CBC for immigration. I believe this to be incorrect and it would only be needed for the MOE. Also at what point do I send the documents to the MOE? Do I do this myself or does the school do this?

Thanks for any help
Zanniati

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So to be clear, it is IMPOSSIBLE to use the COPY of the CBC rather than the original to get your visa?

Also, are 3-4 copies of the diploma really necessary? I went to Korea 2 years ago and I'm fairly certain that I only had 1 apostilled copy of my diploma throughout the process. Did something change?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zanniati wrote:
So to be clear, it is IMPOSSIBLE to use the COPY of the CBC rather than the original to get your visa?

Also, are 3-4 copies of the diploma really necessary? I went to Korea 2 years ago and I'm fairly certain that I only had 1 apostilled copy of my diploma throughout the process. Did something change?

1) yes. Immigration will NOT accept a copy of the CBC; full stop, end of that discussion.

The MOE (required after you start work and are being registered as a teacher) MAY accept a copy with an apostille affixed to it or they MAY accept a copy issued by immigration after your arrival in Korea but is highly unlikely to accept a self made copy unless it has a valid apostille (can you even get an apostille on a copy of an FBI check?).

2) You need 2 copies of your degree now. One for immigration and one for the MOE.
The MOE MAY accept a copy issued by immigration after your arrival but there have been some who have had problems because of trying to use a copy rather than one with an original apostille.

Extra copies are never a bad thing (since they don't expire) and you may need them if you want to change jobs and are unable to secure a release therefore necessitating a new visa application (which will need a new set of documents).

FastForward wrote:
A little off topic but pertaining to the CBC. I currently have my F4 visa and have never submitted a CBC to the MOE. I'm coming back to Korea and going through the recruiter process. I was informed that I could possibly need a CBC for immigration. I believe this to be incorrect and it would only be needed for the MOE. Also at what point do I send the documents to the MOE? Do I do this myself or does the school do this?

Thanks for any help

On an F4 a CBC is NOT needed for immigration.

It IS needed by the MOE (submitted AFTER you arrive in Korea and begin work).

It MAY be required by an employer (all public schools will ask for one as part of the application process) before you get hired if you are coming in from abroad.

FastForward

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great information. Really appreciate it.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Do I need to use my original CBC? Reply with quote

Zanniati wrote:
Some quick questions.

I'm American. I just got my CBC and I'm going to get it apostilled and all that. When I send it to Korea, can I send a notarized and apostilled COPY of my CBC rather than my original?
Thanks!

Not to Korean Immigration. You have to send them the original.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: