Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

5yr old girl suspended for Hello Kitty terrorism
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
comm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:

UN Survey of Crime Trends (UN-CTS) wrote:

Robbery:
USA: 133
England and Wales: 137
Canada: 96

Assault:
USA: 262
England and Wales: 730
Canada: 170

Hmm... Did you actually read that before you posted it?
Seems to match up pretty well with my numbers here that say that the U.K. is the most violent country in Europe and is SIGNIFICANTLY more violent per capita than the U.S.

One great benefit of firearms (as you implied) is that criminals have a habit of killing each other off, reducing the rate of violent crime against innocents. Seems pretty obvious that the U.K. could use a dose of that Smile

Also, here's a fun little study demonstrating that mass shootings stopped by civilians (often armed civilians) average far fewer victims than mass shootings stopped by police.

And here's another (from this peer-reviewed publication) that estimates 2 million defensive gun uses in the U.S. per year. Most of those didn't require a shot to be fired and therefore weren't recorded in police statistics. No doubt America's violent crime would be much closer to the UK's without those defensive gun uses!
madoka

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of focusing on this girl with the bubble gun, we should spend our resources suspending and destroying the lives of these future mass murderers in the making. These three kindergarten students used their hands like guns for heaven's sake! One of them even went as far as aiming his finger! Shocked

http://www.myeasternshoremd.com/news/talbot_county/article_d6737266-5da5-11e2-a2a7-0019bb2963f4.html

Two 6-year-old students were suspended Thursday from White Marsh Elementary School, according to one boy's parents, for using their fingers as imaginary guns in what one parent calls a "childish game of cops and robbers in the school yard."

"This is easily the most ludicrous thing I have ever heard of," said Army Staff Sgt. Stephen Grafton, the father of one of the first-graders. "This, a completely harmless act of horseplay at recess, was by no means an offense that warranted a suspension. It was a pair of 6-year-olds playing with imaginary pistols, one of whom has a father who is charged by the United States with using firearms in his defense."

The suspension in Talbot County comes on the heels of another Maryland student, also 6 years old, who was suspended from Roscoe R. Nix Elementary School in Silver Spring. This child was removed from his school for one day for aiming his finger at another student and saying "Pow." The student's parents hired an attorney, and the school reversed the suspension decision and removed it from his school record.

According to Grafton and Teri Bildstein, the child's mother, their son was playing at recess with another child and they were using their hands as imaginary guns. Another student reported them to staffers, who called Principal Marcia Sprankle. Sprankle recommended the boys be suspended, said Bildstein.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubble guns, fingers now.... Can't someone just give them real guns with bullets (they have a constitutional right to bear arms) and let them play.

More fences... we need more fences.

Civilized societies need to be protected from those Americans.

Put up the fences and keep them out.

madoka

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 13-year-old girl was suspended from school after she was accused of threatening her teacher. Her family says it's a misunderstanding under a zero tolerance policy.

Bleyl Middle School student Taylor Trostle and her parents say it's a classroom game that got her kicked out of school, and now has her labeled as a "terrorist."

"I was shocked because it just seems ludicrous and appalling," Bleyl Middle School student Taylor Trostle's mother, Kristin Trostle, said.

"I mean, terroristic threat, to me that's a serious statement," Kristin Trostle said. "That's one of the most serious things you could say to somebody."

Taylor was wearing an NYPD shirt at school. She says in the last moments of math class, she and some friends were pretending to be police officers.
"I was shooting the markers at the front of the board," Taylor Trostle said. "It was just like this and I was like 'pow pow' and then she just turned around."

Taylor was sent to the principal's office and immediately suspended for three days. Her write up says the finger gun was pointed in the teacher's direction.

"That was considered a terroristic threat because the teacher feared for her life
," Kristin Trostle said.

According to Cy-Fair ISD's code of conduct, a terroristic threat is a level four violation, which is on par with assault, public lewdness, or selling alcohol or drugs at school. Any threat to a teacher falls under a 'zero tolerance policy.'

"Now she's got a very serious mark on her record and she's labeled," Kristin Trostle said.

Cy-Fair ISD denied our repeated requests for comment, so did Taylor Trostle's 7th grade math teacher. Now- Taylor Trostle says she's being mocked at school, for a silly game that got her kicked out.

"They all say that I'm gonna kill somebody, and...they know that I wouldn't do that," she said.

Her mother wants the school district to take a hard look at policies because she believes can tarnish the reputation of an honor roll student like Taylor.

"Really and truly make an honest decision -- is this a legitimate threat, do i really feel threatened by what this child just said?" Kristin Trostle said.[/b]
-------------------------------

Man if that teacher feared for her life over a finger gun, I can't imagine how she would react to the old dongchim.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just think...

If that teacher could have been armed she could have summarily dealt with the problem simply by shooting and killing the terrorist.

yup... it is certainly time to arm the teachers.

visitorq

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
yup... it is certainly time to arm the teachers.

Damn straight. But only if they want to be armed (I'm guessing plenty would be happy with that arrangement).

As for your conjecturing about shooting the hello kitty girl, well there's no need to project your sick views onto the rest of us. As if anyone in their right mind (and we presume that this includes teachers) would possibly lack such discernment as you have described. Sheer foolishness on your part to even consider it.
visitorq

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
Bubble guns, fingers now.... Can't someone just give them real guns with bullets (they have a constitutional right to bear arms) and let them play.

More fences... we need more fences.

Civilized societies need to be protected from those Americans.

Put up the fences and keep them out.

You've already humiliated yourself with your laughable use of made-up "stats" that you pulled out of your rear end (except for the ones you posted that actually proved yourself completely wrong, which was certainly laugh inducing, I must say).

In short, you have no credibility whatsoever. They should really put up an electronic "fence" on Dave's to keep trolls like yourself out.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My views are certainly no worse that the absolute stupidity of:

- branding 5-year-old children as terrorists for talking about using bubble guns or pointing fingers

- the "zero tolerance policies" enacted by and acted upon by schools in the states that also single out students as "terrorists" for simply being kids.

Terrorism is the systematic use of terror, often violent, especially as a means of coercion and often for political gain.

It is not kids playing cop 'n robbers like they saw on TV last night.
Heaven forbid they want to play "Lone Ranger with his sidekick Tonto and horse Silver". We might have to send them for evaluations to ensure they don't become serial killers.

Your average Americans, including unfortunately a large number of my blood relatives, are little better than sheep being led down the garden path by their own media and their children are being labeled and criminalized for simple childish human behavior.

Get your guns, bar the doors... the boogy man is coming. There are terrorists around every corner.

Ya can't have it both ways. You can't claim to have a safe/sane country and then claim the need for guns for self protection.

If the country is safe for the average citizen then the average citizen doesn't need guns for "protection".

If the country is dangerous and you need guns for self protection you can't claim it is a safe place to be.

Pick one.

The USA is one seriously messed up country with its priorities all skewed up and their heads screwed on backwards. Time for a modicum of common sense from the grassroots to the White House.

comm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
If the country is safe for the average citizen then the average citizen doesn't need guns for "protection".

If the country is dangerous and you need guns for self protection you can't claim it is a safe place to be.

If your house isn't on fire you don't need a fire extinguisher and if there isn't a lot of crime you don't need police officers, right?

Must be painful to look at your own statistics and see that a lack of fire extinguishers increases fires, and many countries with no civilian gun ownership have more violent crime!

ttompatz wrote:
Your average Americans, including unfortunately a large number of my blood relatives, are little better than sheep being led down the garden path by their own media and their children are being labeled and criminalized for simple childish human behavior.

True! Americans are far less observant and politically involved than Germans were when Hitler was elected. And yet people seem to think America will elect benevolent leaders from now till doomsday.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some observations-

1)Ttompattz's, "America is the top" map seems ludicrous- Apparently, there are 11,877,218 crimes committed per 100,000 people in the US.

I find that a bit hard to believe.

http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-top-ten/countries-with-highest-reported-crime-rates.html

I think that site can safely be labeled "junk".

Now, I do agree that America is significantly more dangerous than many other first world countries in terms of violent crime, in particular gun crime. But that site just can't be trusted.

2)If ttompattz said the same things about Koreans as he did about Americans on this thread, he'd be banned and justifiably so.

I think he should apologize and retract his statements. First off, they sound highly irrational, second they are insulting, and most importantly they are against the TOS.

Really, dude, screaming for a fence to be put around America and banning Americans because Americans are irrational and paranoid makes you sound, well, irrational and paranoid.

3) Fox had the best point of all- Which is similar to what you'd see in America if the spirit of the Second Amendment were taken seriously: a citizen militia defense force where gun ownership was a highly regulated means to a greater collective end, allowing the nation to do without a permanent, professional standing army.

I'd think visitorq and other firm supporters of a libertarian, gun-enabled, anti-military-industrial-government-complex, educated society would be the first to endorse such a view.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a smoke detector. I don't have a fire extinguisher. The fire department is not too busy since the majority of people have a smoke detector so the response time is pretty quick.

A large, well armed police force doesn't mean safe.

Multiple well armed police forces in the same area would mean even less safe. Why else would they need multiple forces for a single population. In my mind it would mean the contrary or you wouldn't need such a large force.

Sheep. Scared of their own shadow and willing to fight at the drop of a hat and kill without conscious thought to show how scared they are not.

Yup, seriously messed up. Damned good thing they are NOT allowed to carry their guns outside of their own country.

This whole thread (right from the start - an article about "TALKING ABOUT" bubble guns get a kid suspended) was tongue in cheek with "over the top" examples (would that be hyperbole?) to make the point that there are things that need a serious dose of common sense.

And as an edit.. this site: http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-top-ten/countries-with-highest-reported-crime-rates.html has about the same credibility as Fox... none.

slothrop

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by slothrop on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Leon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Some observations-

1)Ttompattz's, "America is the top" map seems ludicrous- Apparently, there are 11,877,218 crimes committed per 100,000 people in the US.

I find that a bit hard to believe.

http://www.mapsofworld.com/world-top-ten/countries-with-highest-reported-crime-rates.html

I think that site can safely be labeled "junk".

Now, I do agree that America is significantly more dangerous than many other first world countries in terms of violent crime, in particular gun crime. But that site just can't be trusted.

2)If ttompattz said the same things about Koreans as he did about Americans on this thread, he'd be banned and justifiably so.

I think he should apologize and retract his statements. First off, they sound highly irrational, second they are insulting, and most importantly they are against the TOS.

Really, dude, screaming for a fence to be put around America and banning Americans because Americans are irrational and paranoid makes you sound, well, irrational and paranoid.

3) Fox had the best point of all- Which is similar to what you'd see in America if the spirit of the Second Amendment were taken seriously: a citizen militia defense force where gun ownership was a highly regulated means to a greater collective end, allowing the nation to do without a permanent, professional standing army.

I'd think visitorq and other firm supporters of a libertarian, gun-enabled, anti-military-industrial-government-complex, educated society would be the first to endorse such a view.

We had militias in the 90's, it didn't work well then, why would it work better now. Also, a militia is not really that far from warlords. Private armies are a stupid idea, akin to private "protection" from Tony Soprano.
visitorq

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon wrote:
Also, a militia is not really that far from warlords. Private armies are a stupid idea, akin to private "protection" from Tony Soprano.

Militias are nothing like mafias. They are not for profit, and members actually have day jobs.
visitorq

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
Sheep. Scared of their own shadow and willing to fight at the drop of a hat and kill without conscious thought to show how scared they are not.

Yeah, as opposed to "civilized" Europeans who live in police states (run by the unelected EU bureaucracy) and pay most of their incomes to the state for the so-called privilege. Get real.

Oh, and did we mention yet that the UK has a much higher violent crime rate than the US? Because it does: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1196941/The-violent-country-Europe-Britain-worse-South-Africa-U-S.html

Yeah, real "civilized" Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: