Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A University of Nebraska-Lincoln graduate...arrested...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:02 am    Post subject: A University of Nebraska-Lincoln graduate...arrested... Reply with quote

One of my former students...I am surprised.... to say the least....she was always quiet, shy, well mannered, and pretty smart...
No university in the U.S. will welcome her now...

http://journalstar.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/unl-grad-student-arrested-on-suspicion-of-thefts-from-rec/article_f56c9e82-9daf-5474-a6e9-48af41cc87bd.html
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did this make the Korean news for a change?
geldedgoat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Died By Bear wrote:

The story isn't worthy of state-wide coverage, let alone national coverage... what makes you think it should receive international attention?
nora

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geldedgoat wrote:
Died By Bear wrote:

The story isn't worthy of state-wide coverage, let alone national coverage... what makes you think it should receive international attention?

You, my friend, are obviously not from Nebraska!

I'm just curious, hellofaniceguy, how did you find this? I barely read the JournalStar when I LIVED in Lincoln, let alone now?!? GBR?
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nora wrote:
geldedgoat wrote:
Died By Bear wrote:

I'm just curious, hellofaniceguy, how did you find this? I barely read the JournalStar when I LIVED in Lincoln, let alone now?!? GBR?

I did not find it...it was sent to me this morning by another former student who was attending the University with Lee and has kept in touch with me over the years.
The former student wanted to know about immigration...what they will do to Lee.
I told them that I was surprised that the cops released Lee...the cops know that Lee is in the U.S. on a visa and they are suppose to place an immigration hold on someone arrested until the case is adjudicated.
Is it or should it be newsworthy?
I do know this...if a foreigner gets arrested in korea...it's all over the news in korea!
I think that given the charges...20 something counts of theft by a graduate student stealing from other students...is what made the news and not because Lee is from korea. And I think....can't be too many koreans living in Nebraska or Lincoln..so that added to the news reporter's story.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellofaniceguy wrote:
nora wrote:
geldedgoat wrote:
Died By Bear wrote:

I do know this...if a foreigner gets arrested in korea...it's all over the news in korea!

Par for the course.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellofaniceguy wrote:
The former student wanted to know about immigration...what they will do to Lee.
I told them that I was surprised that the cops released Lee...the cops know that Lee is in the U.S. on a visa and they are suppose to place an immigration hold on someone arrested until the case is adjudicated.

Depending on the state law, the police are required either to report the arrest to USCIS or are required to not report the arrest to USCIS. USCIS will then "flag" the passport so the person (theoretically) cannot flee the country to avoid prosecution. Once the case is adjudicated, depending on what the final charges for which the person is found guilty are, then the court may have to notify USCIS. All violent crimes, even misdemeanors, IIRC, trigger a notification by the court once a sentence is pronounced. For non-violent crimes, again IIRC, it's just felonies that require notification.

Quote:

Newsworthy, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. For some this is newsworthy; for others, it's not.

Quote:
I think that given the charges...20 something counts of theft by a graduate student stealing from other students...is what made the news and not because Lee is from korea. And I think....can't be too many koreans living in Nebraska or Lincoln..so that added to the news reporter's story.

Fair appraisal.
12ax7

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's not as if she claimed she was the granddaughter of the president of a cheabol after she was caught smuggling drugs on a private jet.

People allegedly breaking into lockers at school, unsecured ones nonetheless, isn't worthy of national or international coverage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: