Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Son is Canadian, wife Korean

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
by2004

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Son is Canadian, wife Korean Reply with quote

Hoping someone can help. My son has dual citizenship. My wife is Korean.
I'd like them to spend a year in Canada or longer. I heard that since I have been in Korea for over 10 years my son would have to pay fees such as an overseas korean would because I haven't paid taxes/lived in Canada for an X number of years. I'd like to get him into a public elementary school. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?
If so, it would be too expensive. The info we are getting is sketchy. Any issues for my wife being there a year? I know Koreans can stay in Canada for 6 months on a visa.

Any info would be really appreciated. Thanks so much.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Son is Canadian, wife Korean Reply with quote

by2004 wrote:
Hoping someone can help. My son has dual citizenship. My wife is Korean.
I'd like them to spend a year in Canada or longer. I heard that since I have been in Korea for over 10 years my son would have to pay fees such as an overseas korean would because I haven't paid taxes/lived in Canada for an X number of years. I'd like to get him into a public elementary school. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this?
If so, it would be too expensive. The info we are getting is sketchy. Any issues for my wife being there a year? I know Koreans can stay in Canada for 6 months on a visa.

Any info would be really appreciated. Thanks so much.

Your son would enter a public elementary school just like any other kid and there would be NO additional fees. He would have to prove residency (lease or driver's license of the parent) in the cachement area for the school and citizenship.

Your wife can stay as a "tourist" for 6 months and can get a 6-month extension by applying at the immigration office in the jurisdiction you reside in.

She can also apply to change her status to PR (in country application) but the process can take over 2 years (and she will need to maintain legal status for the whole time) as compared to 3-6 months when applying from abroad.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: